Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Today's Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personally, I rank Dempsey as high as Mike Tyson on any all time list because that's who he essentially was at that point in time but he would probably not be a top 50 heavyweight by today's standards. Just way too small. You have to realize that he weighed like 190 lbs. for most of his fights and most light heavies come in at that weight now. Heavies average 230 lbs. now easily. He was just too small to have been competitive and would get clobbered badly.
    Last edited by Boxing Goat; 06-28-2017, 08:47 AM.
    moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
      The footage of Dempsey is available for all to see. You call it 'inside' game. I call it crude. I don't know about Boxing? Fair enough. All I'm saying is based on actual film featured Dempsey he's crude compared to the current crop it's plain and simple. None of your rewriting history can change the footage out there.

Dempsey would stop Wlad from body punches just lol. I can't even entertain this.
      Inside fighting is ugly as hell to watch for a fan when it comes to scoring and seeing what is actually being done. You have to slow down the footage (not just for Dempsey fights but any inside fighter) and study every move, defense and offense. You will learn a ton from that.

How is Dempsey crude? What has he done that shows he is crude?

I invite you to watch the Brennan fight on .25 speed, study Dempsey's movements. You will see that his defense was really good, just as good as his offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
        Personally, I rank Dempsey as high as Mike Tyson on any all time list because that's who he essentially was at that point in time but he would probably not be a top 50 heavyweight by today's standards. Just way too small. You have to realize that he weighted like 190 lbs. for most of his fights and most light heavies come in at that weight now. Heavies average 230 lbs. now easily. He was just too small to have been competitive and would get clobbered badly.
        Dempsey knocked out the champion who was 250 lbs, 6'7" at least. Dempsey knocked out Carl Morris who was fast, a top contender, 240 lbs and about 6'5. A man killer they thought of him as. Dempsey handled Firpo who was 220 lbs @ 6'4 and was argued as one of the strongest fighters of his era. Dempsey could handle him just fine. Other fighters not so much.

Dempsey was as big as Holyfield in measurements. Perhaps not weight but height, reach and tale of the tape he was almost identical. Holyfield had no problem with the heavyweights he fought as far as strength goes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
          Dempsey knocked out the champion who was 250 lbs, 6'7" at least. Dempsey knocked out Carl Morris who was fast, a top contender, 240 lbs and about 6'5. A man killer they thought of him as. Dempsey handled Firpo who was 220 lbs @ 6'4 and was argued as one of the strongest fighters of his era. Dempsey could handle him just fine. Other fighters not so much.

Dempsey was as big as Holyfield in measurements. Perhaps not weight but height, reach and tale of the tape he was almost identical. Holyfield had no problem with the heavyweights he fought as far as strength goes.
          I didn't mean to upset you but boxing was pretty new when Dempsey was champion and a lot of skill and technique has evolved since then. Those fighters were lumbering and total stiffs and would not be in the top 100 heavyweight rankings today.

Sorry but that's the truth.
          moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
            lol at anyone still entertaining this thread ..............

Dempsey wouldn't even be a difficult fight for a Douglas who was MUCH better than Dempeys opposition or a Byrd who would make him look more unpolished than he did in his own era ,sure Dempey would reighn today even though his accuracy was poor with guys who moved ,he NEEDED stationary guys ?

The problem is todays 240ers wouldn't have to move they would crush him and the slow 215 pounder Firpo fight shows that a average dad bod fighter can do with just outweighing him.....end of.
            So much ignorance.

Why are you so obsessed with weight?

A lot of today's guys aren't in shape.

Don't tell me a ripped guy weighing just under 200 pounds, with a bob and weave style, with speed and power, couldn't trouble SOME of today's top 20 HW's.

You're kidding yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              Dempsey would have issues with early 40s Hopkins, today's Ward, The Nail, probably Kovalev, maybe Beterbiev.

Dream on lol.
              And they would have had a nightmare with him.

Jack would be a CW today, with a bob and weave style, along with speed, power, and relentless pressure.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
                And they would have had a nightmare with him.

Jack would be a CW today, with a bob and weave style, along with speed, power, and relentless pressure.
                He'd be a heavyweight.

Who's gonna' stop him from being one?

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
                  I didn't mean to upset you but boxing was pretty new when Dempsey was champion and a lot of skill and technique has evolved since then. Those fighters were lumbering and total stiffs and would not be in the top 100 heavyweight rankings today.

That best describes today's heavyweight trash.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                    Do you think Ward, with his superior defense, elusiveness and inside fighting can beat Wilder, Joshua, Fury, Wlad?

Ward is about 185-190lbs.
                    No, but it comes down to the styles.

Andre is more skilled than Dempsey, but he didn't possess the speed, power or style that Dempsey possessed.

A HW wouldn't respect Andre's power, and they'd try and walk him down. But despite Andre possessing more ability from a technical standpoint, Dempsey would have been much harder for them to have fought.

You can't just compare size, but even if you do, you have to note that Andre is a former SMW and Jack was naturally bigger.

Comment

• This was a different sport, tbh.

You can argue and say that dempsey could do nothing vs nowadays' boxers skills. But the truth is that 99.9% of today's boxers would get his purse retired for not being offensive enough in dempsey's days. Back in those days fighting on your back foot or not going 100% aggresive would mean you lost your purse.

Imho the truth is that dempsey was smaller than 1.90, and with that size you cant do **** against modern heavyweight fighters, who are all >2m and weight 20938754203984750239475 tons. The skill wouldnt be the problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X