No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Today's Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
    Um, yes, people are faster today. Just compare the Gold Medalist in the Men's Marathon in the 1924 Olympics to the Gold Medalist in the 2016 Olympics.
    Oh my.

You're comparing runners running against the clock, on a different surface, in different footwear etc.

That has nothing to do with the speed of a punch.

You cannot say that today's HW's could throw faster punches than Jack Dempsey, based on the fact that a guy like Usain Bolt has a faster recorded time than Jessie Owens.

That's not how you measure speed in boxing terms.

Dempsey would be one of the fastest HW's around if he fought today.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
      Oh my.

You're comparing runners running against the clock, on a different surface, in different footwear etc.

You cannot say that today's HW's could throw faster punches than Jack Dempsey, based on the fact that a guy like Usain Bolt has a faster recorded time than Jessie Owens.

Would he be one of the fastest LHWs? Or Cruiserweights? That's where he'd be fighting at.
      moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeTheBoxer View Post
        Cmon, non of this historical champs, like Dempsey, Jack Johnson wouldn`t have a chance against modern heavyweights. Be realistic, those guys were simple too small. And they were not muscular and strong like Mike Tyson. Even iron Mike was stopped when he faced much bigger guys ( Lennox).

Stop idealizing fighters from the past.
        Of course they'd have had a chance you fool.

Dempsey and Mike had a lot of similarities.

Mike was outsized in every one of his fights.

Lennox? Mike was shot at that point.

Please don't post any more nonsense.

Comment

Oh my.

He's not a HW by today's standards he'll get pulvarised.

Comment

Of course they'd have had a chance you fool.

Dempsey and Mike had a lot of similarities.

Mike was outsized in every one of his fights.

Lennox? Mike was shot at that point.

Please don't post any more nonsense.
            Mike had a good thirty pounds of pure muscle on Dempsey, and was built like a fireplug, not to mention being faster, stronger, more athletic and more explosive all round. Aside from the bobbing and weaving there aren't many similarities there at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by WTF Huck! View Post
              Mike had a good thirty pounds of pure muscle on Dempsey, and was built like a fireplug, not to mention being faster, stronger, more athletic and more explosive all round. Aside from the bobbing and weaving there aren't many similarities there at all.
              Don't underestimate Dempsey. He was as explosive as Tyson, and could "shift" like a 200lb Roberto Duran.

This article is mainly about GGG using the "Dempsey shift" But there are a couple of clips of Dempsey himself using the same technique.

http://imgur.com/gallery/rzLDV

The last clip is a slo-mo of Jack using his famous "Dempsey roll" shift to deck Jess Willard. Sheer poetry in motion, to a boxing fan!
              Last edited by kafkod; 01-22-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WTF Huck! View Post
                It would be very hard to fight with a body fat percentage lower than 10% is what I'm getting at. We need a level of fat to function, and anything in the single digits isn't going to cut it.
                Yeah I agree with that. I would probably estimate it closer to 10 than 8. Either way Dempsey was pretty shredded and well conditioned. No questions about that.

Comment

• People cream themselves over how Golovkin uses "the lost art of shifting" to dominate his division.

Well, in his book Jack Dempsey writes not just about shifts but double shifts. Inside triples. Outside triples...so many techniques that modern day boxers are clueless about today.

I think he would have a field day against most of today's heavyweights and be just as dominant in his own right.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    People cream themselves over how Golovkin uses "the lost art of shifting" to dominate his division.

Well, in his book Jack Dempsey writes not just about shifts but double shifts. Inside triples. Outside triples...so many techniques that modern day boxers are clueless about today.

I think he would have a field day against most of today's heavyweights and be just as dominant in his own right.
                    The word art and GGG don't even belong in the same paragraph....let alone sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                      People cream themselves over how Golovkin uses "the lost art of shifting" to dominate his division.

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
                      The word art and GGG don't even belong in the same paragraph....let alone sentence.
                      http://imgur.com/gallery/rzLDV

Comment

Working...
                      X