No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Today's Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SemiGreat View Post
    the cars and technology in the 30s-50s were supposed to be the best that ever were. we know thats not the case.
    We also know that boxing doesn't progress in the same way that technology does.

Comment

• " YES Floyd Mayweather is better than Sugar Ray Robinson if you take into account the FOOTAGE available and not just hear say"...

There is plenty of video of Sugar Ray available to compare to Floyd.
      The biggest difference is that Sugar could knock out ATG with either hand and was not afraid to mix it up when the fight was competitive. Watching Floyd run from Pacman was embarrassing to me. The fear in his eyes during the first Maidana bout was obvious!
      I'm not referring he is a coward because pro boxers aren't cowardice. However he is under sized against Sugar, he has no where near the experience especially at 147, I think he has 12 bouts as a welter! His 49-0 record is impressive but Sugar went 80-0 TWICE!!!.
      Sugar destroys Floyd and theres plenty of other ATG welters that defeat him too.

Find the video's, study the results of his punches than look at Floyds results. Watch the combination punching differences, Robinson set his power shots up with other punches, movement,
      deceptiveness! Floyd doesn't have any power!!!

Mayweather 5'7" 147
      Sugar Ray 5'11" 147

study & learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeTheBoxer View Post
        Dempsey was walking around with about 190, right? That was his fight weight. Hard to believe, he was a real heavy puncher.
        Stop posting.

You're out of your depth.

Comment

• Originally posted by WTF Huck! View Post
          Common sense.

Sergei Kovalev is one of the hardest punching and most vicious LHWs around, a man who grew up in comparable surroundings to Dempsey, a natural 185 pounder with almost identical physical dimensions to Dempsey and a similar dedication to physical fitness.

Do you think he stands a chance at heavyweight?

I'd pick him to KO someone like Gary Cornish, especially if you give him tiny gloves like the type Dempsey wore, but someone like Wlad? Really?

Dempsey wasn't a superman, and nothing on film should ever lead you to think that. So there's no reason to suspect that he'd fare any better than Kovalev would, especially when you factor in modern rules and equipment.

His beating Fred Fulton, a beanpole with no fight footage on him aids the argument in his favour not one jot. Neither does his beating of Firpo, a man who wasn't even that large by today's standards, and one who literally looks cruder than many MMA fighters today.
          Again:

Jack and Kovalev have completely different styles and attributes.

That is common sense.

Kovalev stands tall and uses his jab. He has very good skills and timing. He's also patient. But against HW's, he wouldn't be able to do a great deal.

Jack's bob and weave style, along with his speed and explosiveness, could get him inside of a big guys reach.

They were completely different fighters.

Comment

Kovalev is a better analogy to Dempsey than Froch is. Dempsey, with the help of today's cutting drugs, could conceivably have dropped ten pounds of water weight to make the weigh in and rehydrated up to 185, same as Kovalev and most LHWs today.
            I don't know. Maybe it would have been thoretically possible, but he would never have made SMW.
            Last edited by robertzimmerman; 01-22-2017, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Dempsey wasn't exceptionally fast, even for a smaller man. He also used to telegraph his shots quite a bit. He was winding up like Popeye in stretches of the Willard fight.
              True, he didn't have blazing hand speed, but it was faster than Fury's.

Fury has great hand speed and mobility for his size.

Comment

Would he be one of the fastest LHWs? Or Cruiserweights? That's where he'd be fighting at.
                We're looking hypothetically at him fighting as a HW.

Saying that HW's today are faster than Dempsey based on Olympic running records, is madness.

Comment

• Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
                  He's not a HW by today's standards he'll get pulvarised.
                  Would Mike get pulverised?

How about the version of Roy Jones who fought John Ruiz? That version of Roy could have beaten SOME of today's HW's.

Joe Frazier could have beaten SOME of today's HW's.

Stop being ignorant.

Jack would not get pulverised by EVERY HW today.

Comment

Mike had a good thirty pounds of pure muscle on Dempsey, and was built like a fireplug, not to mention being faster, stronger, more athletic and more explosive all round. Aside from the bobbing and weaving there aren't many similarities there at all.
                    I didn't say they were the same, I said they had similarities.

Height, reach, a bob and weave style to get inside the reach of bigger guys.

Of course, the point I was making was that skills and style can overcome size.

Look at today's top 15 HW's, and then come back and tell me that Jack couldn't have beaten some of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                      hed get slaughtered by the top guys, and most the fringe world level fighters. Way too small. the guy was 1.85cm and 87kg. Didnt even look that muscular. How the hell is he going to trade with any modern heavyweight? Looks half the size of someone like usyk who people were debating was too small to compete at heavyweight. Same with david haye, way too small against wlad but hes probably twice the size of dempsey in terms of muscle and frame.
                      Another clueless post to add to your ever growing list.

Comment

Working...
                      X