Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Mayweather have gone through sugar shane mosley's resume undefeated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Viper View Post
    That's my point he didn't go 6-0 with them.....and i don't think mayweather would either...who the hell could beat those guys back to back in their prime seriously....come on now
    Styles make fights; if Floyd was able to find a way to win the first fight, the victory in the second fight would likely end up being more decisive, imo. In the most recent example in the Maidana fight, Floyd knew what he needed to do to handle Maidana's style, and the only thing that Maidana was able to really improve on was baiting Floyd into throwing his pull-counter and countering (a tactic that Floyd didn't see from Maidana in the first fight).

Vernon Forest had his style, but there wasn't a whole ton of adaptability in it. The same can be said for Winky Wright. And, frankly, the same could be said for Shane Mosley, too.

Outside of stop welterweights with one shot, Floyd can basically do it all. Box, bang, brawl, move, pot-shot, counterpunch, rough it up, etc.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see Forest or Wright doing all that much different if they were to get a second look at Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by DeLorean View Post
      well Mosley faced prime Oscar twice.. prime vs prime Oscar and Floyd would always be a close toss up fight.

then you got prime Vernon Forrest. a great boxer with a terrific jab. Floyd outpoints him in a close one.

then it's prime Winky Wright. actually Floyd and Winky had a date set to fight on November 12, 2005. they agreed to 154 lbs with a rehydration limit of 8 lbs. fight broke apart due to money, according to Gary Shaw. he wanted 50-50, while Arum/Floyd said 55-45.

who would've won? Floyd jumping up to 154 to face the best jab in the sport at the time. Winky is a stylistic nightmare for Mayweather, he loses this one pretty decisively.

then it's Fernando Vargas (2006) version. Floyd stops this Vargas in late rounds.

2007 Miguel Cotto would give 2007 Floyd hell with his pressure, jabs and inside work. toss up fight as well. can't choose. maybe a draw.

Ricardo Mayorga. . Floyd wins wide on points, Ricardo eats everything Floyd throws, loses 12-0 shutout.

Antonio Margarito. plaster or not, this is a stylistic nightmare for Floyd. endless pressure, granite chin, great body attack and a will that was unbreakable. I give Floyd this one by SD.

then you got 2011 Manny Pacquiao. . who knows man.. all I know is by 2015 both Manny and Floyd were past it. prime vs prime it's a toss up. can't call it.

Canelo Alvarez.. Floyd schools him at any weight imo but I didn't like the 152 weight because he gave Canelo a built in excuse.

so does Floyd run through Forrest, Winky, Oscar, Vargas, Margarito, Pacquiao, Mayorga, Canelo, Cotto undefeated? ..No
      Winky Wright wasn't a big puncher, and the biggest counter to the southpaw stance is the straight right down the middle (Floyd's best utilized punch behind his jab). The style is definitely something that would need to be figured out, but to say that it'd be a decisive defeat for Floyd would be as if you think he's never faced a straight punching southpaw fighter before.

Beyond that, "run through" connotates something different than the actual conversation, especially knowing that near all of the assumed matchups are at 154/147lbs.

Does Floyd take 7 of 12 rounds (at least) and the judges' scorecards against Mosley's ledger? There'll be some really close fights, but I don't see a fight there where Floyd gets outboxed for 7 of 12 rounds on any card, let alone on 2 of 3 cards.

Floyd's in-fight adjustments are second to none

Comment

Winky Wright vs Gennady Golovkin

May would probably go 4-2 oe 3-3 getting beaten by prime oscar, forrest and Winky.

Comment

Floyd struggled with a past-it Oscar.

How anybody can say he beats two prime Oscars is a true mystery to me.

Vernon, Cotto, Pacquiao all could arguably take the W. I would slightly favour Floyd in each of these.
          Honestly never seen Winky fight, so I can't comment on his talent.

Comment

Originally posted by DeLorean View Post
            what guys did Floyd beat similar to Margarito? tall, chin of steel, body attack and nonstop pressure.. the closest is maybe Castillo and Maidana, two guys that gave Floyd hell. .even Emmanuel Augustus gave Floyd issues applying pressure even though he got smoked..Ricky Hatton couldn't do it due to Joe Cortez.. and Miguel Cotto definitely was a problem for Mayweather with his stalking and jabs.

the way I envision Mayweather/Margarito is Floyd landing pot shots early, Margs smirking while stalking nonstop. early rounds go to Floyd, then Margs turns up the heat and starts walking Floyd down, attacking the body, gets hit alot but never hurt or wobbled. . judges give it to Floyd based on early rounds in the bank.
            ... Diego "Chico" Corrales says hey, lol.

If you're earnestly hanging your hat on Margarito being able to cut the ring off on Floyd Mayweather (outside of the Castillo fights and Maidana bumrushing Floyd in their first fight, I can't point to a single other fight where someone was able to cut Floyd off for more than a couple rounds before Floyd negated the tactic), that's on you.

Floyd's not going to sit in any one spot long enough to allow for Margarito to "turn up the heat" and wail body shots.

Comment

May's supposed to beat a prime great fighter in Oscar twice? And then beat upper tier welters/lmws in Forest and Winky...once again guys who are just as skilled but hit harder and are just too big?

Mayweather had trouble keeping midgets like Maidana and Castillo off him lol

Now, Mosley's lightweight run is probably something Mayweather owuld cope with. I can't see him losing to Holliday for instance and if May was around in the late 90s lw scene I think he'd be unbeaten.

Comment

Originally posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
                Floyd struggled with a past-it Oscar.

How anybody can say he beats two prime Oscars is a true mystery to me.

Vernon, Cotto, Pacquiao all could arguably take the W. I would slightly favour Floyd in each of these.
                Honestly never seen Winky fight, so I can't comment on his talent.
                Past it Oscar is still way better than Margarito.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                  ... Diego "Chico" Corrales says hey, lol.

If you're earnestly hanging your hat on Margarito being able to cut the ring off on Floyd Mayweather (outside of the Castillo fights and Maidana bumrushing Floyd in their first fight, I can't point to a single other fight where someone was able to cut Floyd off for more than a couple rounds before Floyd negated the tactic), that's on you.

Floyd's not going to sit in any one spot long enough to allow for Margarito to "turn up the heat" and wail body shots.
                  Corrales and Margarito nothing alike. .and Cotto cut the ring on Floyd all damn night.. so did Maidana in the first fight, in those two fights Floyd didn't dictate the tempo.

anyway let's remember we're talking Margarito around 06-07 when nobody wanted to face him.. including Floyd and Oscar. the guy was high risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                    Winky Wright wasn't a big puncher, and the biggest counter to the southpaw stance is the straight right down the middle (Floyd's best utilized punch behind his jab). The style is definitely something that would need to be figured out, but to say that it'd be a decisive defeat for Floyd would be as if you think he's never faced a straight punching southpaw fighter before.

Beyond that, "run through" connotates something different than the actual conversation, especially knowing that near all of the assumed matchups are at 154/147lbs.

Does Floyd take 7 of 12 rounds (at least) and the judges' scorecards against Mosley's ledger? There'll be some really close fights, but I don't see a fight there where Floyd gets outboxed for 7 of 12 rounds on any card, let alone on 2 of 3 cards.

Floyd's in-fight adjustments are second to none

sorry I don't see Floyd beating Winky.. no way no how. he couldn't deal with Oscar's jab and even Maidana's jab was tagging him. Winky's jab is a laser and his defense was air tight. he beats Floyd decisively. all we got to go by is their styles. Winky's style is a nightmare for Floyd. .. too bad Floyd didn't agree to a 50-50 split, this fight was gonna happen.

Comment

Floyd hate is unreal. Smh.

First it's maragrito and williams - now it's Winky?

Comment

Working...
                      X