Collapse
No announcement yet.

NSB Pick 'em 2017

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we should just be able to make the picks in here otherwise whats the point of a sticky?

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      we should just be able to make the picks in here otherwise whats the point of a sticky?

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
        lol I have no idea what that means but I'll post in the other thread. Gonna go for DeGale as I can't imagine him losing.

Comment

Also the game will start sometime during the first week of January. I'm putting together some stuff that will make updating scores/rankings as easy as possible for me.

Any and all input about any of the rules in the meantime is appreciated.

If you'd like to start thinking ahead, here are fights I will almost certainly be including in the game:

Badou Jack vs James DeGale
          Carl Frampton vs Leo Santa Cruz II
          Adrien Broner vs Adrian Granados
          Miguel Cotto vs James Kirkland
          Danny Garcia vs Keith Thurman
          Gennady Golovkin vs Danny Jacobs
          Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko
          Saul Alvarez vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr

If you feel any other big or intriguing matchups should be included, let me know! If there is enough interest in any other fights we'll add those as well. But for now outside of the above, I'm gonna wait on more announcements to come in.
          chris brown v soulja boy

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
            chris brown v soulja boy

I'm still in disbelief that that fight is happening

Comment

for the sake of reducing labour/man hours to yourself, trawling threads for predictions, is there not a way to make use of the current rbr threads polls? it's only the multiplier element that would be missing but by the end of a fight you would just be able to see who made the correct prediction and award that list of voters the points (whether they were intending to play the game or not, just means better participation as people will vote in those stickies much easier than typing stuff).

just a thought, it reduces the number of stickies anyway, which on a busy fight week could start looking cluttered

also it would prevent the unscrupulous editing of predictions as once voted, it's set.
              Last edited by TheCleaner; 01-08-2017, 02:41 AM.

Comment

In the interest of making the experience as easy as possible for all of us, I will make the submission rules a little more lenient in a few ways based on the submissions made so far for Pick 'Em #1.

1) Allow spaces before and after commas
                2) Allow any combination of capital and lower case letters
                3) Allow for the full word 'decision'
                4) Allow edited posts by saving all picks just before the time fight starts

These rules will be effective as of the second fight.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCleaner View Post
                  for the sake of reducing labour/man hours to yourself, trawling threads for predictions, is there not a way to make use of the current rbr threads polls? it's only the multiplier element that would be missing but by the end of a fight you would just be able to see who made the correct prediction and award that list of voters the points (whether they were intending to play the game or not, just means better participation as people will vote in those stickies much easier than typing stuff).

just a thought, it reduces the number of stickies anyway, which on a busy fight week could start looking cluttered

also it would prevent the unscrupulous editing of predictions as once voted, it's set.
                  I appreciate the input!

The other aspect that would be missing with that approach is picking the knockout round number / picking how wide the decision would be.

Comment

I appreciate the input!

The other aspect that would be missing with that approach is picking the knockout round number / picking how wide the decision would be.
                    ah yes, very true. Well hopefully by people using a very specific format, hotfully its pretty easy to compile a list of 'winners' using the forum search tool, without having to manually read and record each prediction

Comment

Originally posted by TheCleaner View Post
                      ah yes, very true. Well hopefully by people using a very specific format, hotfully its pretty easy to compile a list of 'winners' using the forum search tool, without having to manually read and record each prediction
                      The intention of the strict format is to allow a script I wrote to recognize the submissions. The script will hypothetically save them and a separate script will update scores/rankings after I enter the fight's result.

If I did things right, updating the rankings each fight should take very little of my time. At first I imagine a lot of manual involvement on my part but hopefully after a few fights all kinks in the workflow will be ironed out and I will run the game on (almost) auto-pilot.
                      Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 01-08-2017, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X