No announcement yet.

Haymon top fighters need to sign with promoters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haymon top fighters need to sign with promoters

I've done a complete 180 on this issue and I see why they need promoters. What worked for Floyd doesn't work for everybody. Last night is also a perfect example of why his fighters need promoters.. Canelo said if he fights in Feb he's fighting one more fight at 154. Jermall Charlo vs. Canelo should be the only fight for Canelo at 154. With Jermall being from Houston and the large Mexican population in Texas that's a Texas fight. But why would Schaeffer push for that fight in Texas if he's not Jermall's promoter and he doesn't promote in Texas for PBC? Schaeffer knows how to work the media and is great at getting fights made.

Haymon doesn't talk to the media and PBC does a horrible job at advocating for their fighters. And fighters like Garcia needs quality control. He was never really loved after beating Khan and especially Matthysse but he he was respected and getting great ratings. But he's fallen off because of the level of competition.

J-Rock needs a good promoter after coming off that KO. He really needed a good promoter prior to that loss because in terms of experience, not skill, Jermall was light years ahead because of the level of competition he'd faced. Bundrage and Trout are vets with tons of experience. J-Rock should've faced a Vanes or Willie Nelson type of opponent before facing Charlo. Now he's gonna need to be built back up after that loss.

Jacobs is another example. Lou does most of his fights because he fights mainly in NY. But after beating Quillin he took almost a year off and came back with the pointless Mora rematch. And Lou didn't have anything to do with that fight because it was in Pennsylvania where I think Kaufman does the PBC promotions. Now with the insurance issue in NY if Jacobs can't fight there why should Lou advocate for him? If Lou was his promoter he'd be all over this GGG-Jacobs situation in the media.

Promoters have to have skin in the game of a fighter if they're going to go all out for them. I've changed my opinion on this issue and his top fighters need to sign with promoters. Look at how Hearn treats Degale. If Degale was 100% with Hearn like Brook is, Hearn would've offered Degale the GGG fight.

they dont need a promotor even.. ive said pbc needs a front man and richard is perfect for it.. lou doesnt know how to talk to people. Rich is the perfect dana white for pbc

Comment

haymon and pbc are a joke, pretty much sucked all interest out of american boxing.

Comment

HELL NO! I think Promoters SELFISH INTEREST is why big fights don't get done quicker look at fuking Canelo with GBP and the GGG situation you want more of that with Promoters protecting the face of their Promotion?

I think more fighters need to sign with a great Management Team and just Freelance and not sign to any promotion long term because they get into these deals they can't get out of then they end up sitting for like 2 years trying to get out of bad deals that SUCKS!

And you don't have to just sign with Haymon by the way, Cameron Dunkin is a good manager, J. Prince, it is plenty of Managers who can get their fighters big fights without having to sign a **** Promotional Deal

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
          they dont need a promotor even.. ive said pbc needs a front man and richard is perfect for it.. lou doesnt know how to talk to people. Rich is the perfect dana white for pbc
          But that's not going to happen. Lou is also great with the media. I think it's pretty obvious that PBC isn't goint to change the way they interact with the media.

Comment

No, fighters with promoters are the reason some are stuck on networks. GGG, Ward, Kovalez, Canelo, Loma, Crawford are with promoters that fight only on HBO. Hell some have exclusive HBO contracts.

As we've seen this past year, someone with Haymon like a Khan or a Wade are free to fight anywhere. In the past year Wade has fought on HBO, Showtime and FS1.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
              HELL NO! I think Promoters SELFISH INTEREST is why big fights don't get done quicker look at fuking Canelo with GBP and the GGG situation you want more of that with Promoters protecting the face of their Promotion?

I think more fighters need to sign with a great Management Team and just Freelance and not sign to any promotion long term because they get into these deals they can't get out of then they end up sitting for like 2 years trying to get out of bad deals that SUCKS!

And you don't have to just sign with Haymon by the way, Cameron Dunkin is a good manager, J. Prince, it is plenty of Managers who can get their fighters big fights without having to sign a **** Promotional Deal
              You're bringing up good managers. Haymon is a great manager but we're talking about promoting. All the managers you named have their fighters signed to a promoter. But what do you think about the point I made about promoters not advocating for fighters that aren't with them? I gave three examples, Dibella-Jacobs. Schaeffer-Charlo, DeGale-Hearn. So how do you overcome the problem of nobody advocating for the fighters? Hire a PR firm?

Comment

Idk about that. I mean virtually no promoter in the US promotes these days it seems like. I mean where was the promotion on Crawford vs Molina this weekend. Where was the promotion for most big promoter, non-PPV non-PBC fights this year? They don't really do much of a job promoting either in my eyes. Promoter is more a technical term for someone who puts on a fight more than its a literal term for being some PT Burnam type character.

I'd suggest these days most US promoters don't see a need to put in much real promoting of a card unless its a PPV card cuz the upside just isn't sexy enough for them & they are getting paid by HBO or Showtime or some other channel anyway so let them promote it.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
                  No, fighters with promoters are the reason some are stuck on networks. GGG, Ward, Kovalez, Canelo, Loma, Crawford are with promoters that fight only on HBO. Hell some have exclusive HBO contracts.

As we've seen this past year, someone with Haymon like a Khan or a Wade are free to fight anywhere. In the past year Wade has fought on HBO, Showtime and FS1.
                  Those fighters have deals with the network not the promoters. I think Golden Boy's deal with HBO a couple years ago was the only time I've seen a promoter have an exclusive deal with a network. The promoters who work with HBO are free to send their fighters without a deal to other networks. Lomachenko fought on Showtime when Top Rank lost the purse bid.

Comment

The only problem there is is that Americans dont care about boxing anymore, whilst Britain is booming. All the reasons that you see in every thread are normally false. Mayweather v Pacquiao broke the PPV market, Joshua v Klitschko will beat the British record. Ask a Nicuraguan if boxing isnt popular, or a Ukranian, or wherever else. Its Americas problem not boxing, Joshua v Wilder will be the second biggest PPV ever if the US sorted it all out.

**** Ive been drinking since Thursday, I hope theres something relevant in there

Comment

Working...
                    X