No announcement yet.

Haymon top fighters need to sign with promoters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    Yea but Leija can't work the media like Schaefer. They can hang up some posters and do some local radio shows. But they can't advocate in the media like Schaefer. I'm not just talking about promoting the fight I'm talking about creating a buzz for the fans to want the fight. Only Schaefer can do that.
    What exactly did he do for this weekends card?

I definitely think there could be more upside between PBC & promoters to make the exchange of services more worthwhile for promoters, but I don't believe for a minute that a long term contract with a promoter is needed. In fact I think long term contracts with promoters are mostly negative for the sport as a whole. If promoters had only one fight agreements with all there fighters I believe boxing would be better for it cuz the fights made would need to be more competitive for the fans to show up &/or to buy on PPV. I mean go look at any promoters last card. Its almost surely going to be 90% who gives a f#ck fights & one semi-competitive fight if not a full slate of fights a reasonably intelligent casual fan could go 100% on the night picking the winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      I'm not worried about losing the power in the sport. But boxing not being big in the states isn't good for the sport. A heavyweight superstar is great for the sport and I think Joshua can be that.
      Showtime knows that (why they invested in him), Haymon and Wilder know that. Hearn and Haymon know know how big this fight can be, the Showtime deal proves it, but it aint gunna be til 2018 at the earliest. It aint even being close to being a Vegas big yet. Joshua is still a prospect in my eyes. If Joshua beats Klitschko he makes himself half of that big Vegas fight, Wilder needs to the same though.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
        Showtime knows that (why they invested in him), Haymon and Wilder know that. Hearn and Haymon know know how big this fight can be, the Showtime deal proves it, but it aint gunna be til 2018 at the earliest. It aint even being close to being a Vegas big yet. Joshua is still a prospect in my eyes. If Joshua beats Klitschko he makes himself half of that big Vegas fight, Wilder needs to the same though.
        I disagree he's still a prospect because he has the belt. I think he's still raw and learning on the job but I won't say he's a prospect. I want the Wilder fight to be the biggest fight since Lewis/Tyson. A dominant, exciting heavyweight is good for boxing.

Comment

Working...
        X