No announcement yet.

How has Ward gotten away with...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Kovalev did as much clinching as Ward. Funny how you guys aren't pointing that out.
    It was either clinch or be head-butted and smothered to death. Ward initiated 95% of the clinching, I don't even know how you can dispute any of it, Ward was quoted as saying that I had to get "dirty".

Comment

• Originally posted by frantic fighter View Post
      It was either clinch or be head-butted and smothered to death. Ward initiated 95% of the clinching, I don't even know how you can dispute any of it, Ward was quoted as saying that I had to get "dirty".
      Clinch or be head butted? When was Ward trying to butt him? And saying he had to get dirty is a figure of speech, it wasn't literal. If he said he had to dig deep in sure you would think he brought a shovel into the ring with him to, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        Clinch or be head butted? When was Ward trying to butt him? And saying he had to get dirty is a figure of speech, it wasn't literal. If he said he had to dig deep in sure you would think he brought a shovel into the ring with him to, right?
        When he said that he had to get dirty and used phrases like rough him up in support of that statement, I'd say that it's pretty obvious what he's referring to. He was being literal, I don't understand why his fans are trying to find a loop whole in his statement. He's a dirty fighter, with a history of being dirty, and said that he got dirty. It's pretty black and white to me and it's a reach to claim that he meant anything else.

Comment

When he said that he had to get dirty and used phrases like rough him up in support of that statement, I'd say that it's pretty obvious what he's referring to. He was being literal, I don't understand why his fans are trying to find a loop whole in his statement. He's a dirty fighter, with a history of being dirty, and said that he got dirty. It's pretty black and white to me and it's a reach to claim that he meant anything else.
          Most boxers will do what they can get away with in the ring. Holding is illegal but if a ref allows it to go on, a fighter will hold if it's to his advantage.
          Ward's strategy was to smother Kovalev's power by getting inside. Kovalev wanted to prove he was as strong as Ward so we got an ugly fight.
          All of Ward's fights are ugly. He's undefeated so he must be doing something right. but if you're looking for clean punches, crisp combinations etc, Ward's not your go to guy.

Comment

Getting dirty as in going to work. He had to really work this fight...in other words it wasn't easy. But hey, you can play the literal angle all you want. Nobody but a biased fool is going to buy it. Especially when you can watch the fight and see Kov clinching as much as Ward. But it's good, you have an excuse for him though.

Comment

• Originally posted by ruedboy View Post
              Most boxers will do what they can get away with in the ring. Holding is illegal but if a ref allows it to go on, a fighter will hold if it's to his advantage.
              Ward's strategy was to smother Kovalev's power by getting inside. Kovalev wanted to prove he was as strong as Ward so we got an ugly fight.
              All of Ward's fights are ugly. He's undefeated so he must be doing something right. but if you're looking for clean punches, crisp combinations etc, Ward's not your go to guy.
              Well said.

Comment

Working...
              X