Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward-Sergey Kovalev PPV Show Barely Cracked 160K Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Andre Ward-Sergey Kovalev PPV Show Barely Cracked 160K Buys

LAS VEGAS BoxingScene.com has confirmed a Tweet by Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole that the Andre Ward-Sergey Kovalev pay-per-view show drew just over 160,000 buys. The figure is considered low for an HBO Pay-Per-View event that featured two of the five best pound-for-pound boxers in the world.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Damn, that's bad news if true. Means the promoters probably took a hit and might hurt the chances of a rematch. That's about $5.8mill, just covers Ward's cut. Not sure what kind of site fee they got from MGM.
    Last edited by BIGPOPPAPUMP; 11-28-2016, 05:36 PM.

YIKES. I expected much better. This sucks - one of the best fights in the sport can't get decent viewership.

And yeah, if it's 170k buys then it's a huge financial loss for the promoters.

Comment

In the low 160's?!? F**king wow. If this is anywhere near accurate then the fight, as far as PPV success goes, was an outright disaster.

I guess I was incredibly naive because I really thought this fight could do in the neighborhood of half a mil

Comment

Damn lol, so I guess Canelo is really the only PPV star

Comment

Never really thought this fight was gonno do good.

Comment

Roc Nation (for boxing) seems like they love to lose millions.

But I think both promoters tried hard to promote this fight even if Main Events' methods were a little old school and Roc Nation just doesn't know what they are doing.

It was a tough sell. Neither guy has any mainstream appeal and the whole country is down on boxing.

Comment

That's a shame but I can't say I didn't see it coming. Ward has robbed Roc Nation blind. God knows how they finance the rematch now

Comment

Lol barely did better than golovkin lemieux

Comment

If that's true, it's proof positive why boxing sucks. The fans would rather pay for garbage fights than an excellent one. Hope you all enjoyed watching two great fighters in the ring together, because it probably won't happen again for a while.

Comment

Thats to be expected, they are have to make some loses to make money in the future.

Comment

Working...
                    X