Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward-Sergey Kovalev PPV Show Barely Cracked 160K Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow

I'm not sure what to make of this or what to say. If this is true, I don't think this falls solely on the fighters (being unknown or whatnot). Those in the game have damaged the PPV outlet big time. You had the Mayweather vs Pacquiao farce, you got **** like Canelo vs Khan/Smith priced high af, GGG vs Brook priced high af as well.

This is why I laugh when people say that Canelo-GGG will do near a mill or higher. They (promoters) are feeding us bull**** on PPV while streams are abundant.

The good news here is, that people are letting their wallets do the talking now and hopefully promoters will stop their bull****.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
      I predicted it would around 175 and 200k at best. Sounds like it couldn't even reach those numbers.

But the rematch will likely do more following the controversial decision of the first. Probably around 200k.
      I can almost guarantee the rematch will be on regular HBO. It's no longer a fight between two undefeated guys and people are now aware that neither of these guys is a PPV attraction.

Comment

• Only way to reverse this is if Floyd and Manny rematch and its a barn burner that ends in knockout.

Comment

• Realistically they should have probably got a million each to fight on HBO, but the industry is fucked up right now.

Doesnt matter how much we as fans wanted it or whatever, that's about where the demand was, and that's being generous.

Comment

• Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
            Boxing is down right now because all Mayweather did was sht on fans and spread his horrible influence and Haymon kidnapped half the sport to put them duking-it-out in his backyard as everyone wonders where they've gone. Haymon and Floyd single-handedly fuked the sport.
            Ok, I see what type of sh-t you are on. This is ******ed. Floyd made people watch him and the sport. He drove PPV sales for the 3 biggest selling PPV fights in the sport's history.

Perhaps if more people copied how he marketed himself then we'd have more interest in the sport.

Comment

• One name.....Conor McGregor.....UFC = Casual fan getting moneys worth, Conor is a trash talker but he comes to fight man, people dont want to wach some pity pat chit.

Comment

• Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                If you read over my post carefully, you'll come to understand that what you are saying is exactly what I was talking about, I just pointed to the source.

As for the "charisma" thing, it's not a requirement, just don't be brain dead, no one has shown up also because of the same conditions I've pointed out. Thurman seems to have the potential to be an entertaining speaker, he just hasn't had the platform, like with most Haymon fighters, his career has been stalled, in terms of status.
                But Thurman disappears in between fights and does his own thing. Fighters have to promote themselves as well. With this social media era dudes are getting lazy and think dropping a tweet is self-promotion. You got to get out in the public and be seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by icha View Post
                  I agree with you, roc nation is the one doing the wrong business here, i expect them to push hard for canelo-cotto after this loss...
                  I expected this number due to the actual boxing landscape, but i dont think roc nation was expecting that..
                  Yeah they really threw a lot of money around to get Cotto and Ward...

Didn't they guarantee Cotto something ridiculous like 50 million?

And Ward 20 million? Over the life of their contracts?

Comment

• Originally posted by hectari View Post
                    One name.....Conor McGregor.....UFC = Casual fan getting moneys worth, Conor is a trash talker but he comes to fight man, people dont want to wach some pity pat chit.
                    Mayweather proved fighting style is irrelevant. Casuals are dumb. Many of them thought Mayweather is some knockout puncher.

In boxing, dating a Kardashian siste will get you more PPV buys than having the longest knockout streak in MW championship history.

Comment

• ouch

but im guilty...i went to my buddy's pad and he has this awesome streaming thing...no buffering, HD

sorry boxing, i've dished out thousands on you thru the years

Comment

Working...
                      X