Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward-Sergey Kovalev PPV Show Barely Cracked 160K Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rongizzle View Post
    Goes to show you fickle boxing fans are. This was a match up of two of the best fighters and no one paid to see. Show how great of a business Floyd Mayweather is. It takes years to build of fight of great magnitude. Ward vs Kovalev was a great fight.
    keep slurping gayweather you idiot.he's part of the reason boxing is in such a bad state.

Comment

• Shut your simple minded ass up fool. LOL....you're a professional online hater. How much does that job pay? LMAO

Comment

• If you'd stop rooting for these hype jobs then your P. O. S. life would have more meaning

Comment

• Originally posted by rongizzle View Post
          American boxing fans are the worst. Andre Ward is an Olympic gold medalist but he doesn't get any support from Americans. Hmmm...I wonder why. Meanwhile...every body is on the GGG and Lomachenko hype train. Just like they were on the Pacquaio hype train. LOL
          Boxing ..just like the NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL..is largely an entertainment business.

You need the x-factor to captivate and attract fans.
          An entertaining boxing style is needed .. ..charisma/character is the other.

The average casual would look at Ward... and would think..he holds/wrestles too much. ..When they watch Loma, they love the action and speed in how he fights. With GGG, he knocks out pretty much everyone.

Comment

• Are you serious? Lomachenko has an amateur style. He isn't a brawler. GGG doesn't have any notable wins yet. Kovalev was the one doing all the holding... But its part of boxing. Ward is a much better inside fighter then he is. In UFC they hold and hug all night long.
            Last edited by rongizzle; 11-28-2016, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• I think a decent undercard would've helped.....

Comment

• Disappointing numbers, but it's not much of a surprise.
                It's a shame as it was one of the best fights the sport could make, one the sport was desperate for. To do big numbers though, you need the casuals to order the fight, and Ward and Kovalev don't appeal to the casual fans.

I think it's going to be a long time before anyone comes close to numbers Pacquiao and Mayweather did. Those guys appealed to the casuals, they had that X-factor that some guys just have. They were bona fide superstars.

You can usually gauge interest in a fight from things like facebook, and over the last couple of weeks i haven't seen any buzz for Kova Vs Ward or Loma Vs Walters. The casuals don't know those guys.
                Yet i have seen plenty of buzz for Bellew Vs Haye. The quality of those fights are chalk and cheese, but the fight with the rivalry, hype and trash talk gets the attention.

I feel the momentum is with the UFC and McGregor at the minute. They have stolen the casual fan's attention from boxing.
                They stack their cards, but i think it's more to do with McGregor's personality than anything else. Casuals hear about him and jump on the bandwagon. He's loud, exciting and creates a buzz.
                He plays his role and people love/hate him in equal amounts. His fans pay to see him win, guys who hate him pay to see him lose. I think something like 4 of the 5 highest grossing UFC cards featured McGregor as a headline. There's no one like him in boxing at the minute.

It's a shame one of the biggest fights for boxing fans in the last few years didn't sell better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
                  What are you a Glaser apologist? The guy flat out admitted to making up numbers based on his FB friends, yet he gets the 'real' numbers for every other fight? Yeah alright..... Glaser is a washed up fight guy who just wants attention from gullible people.
                  That post said exactly what it said. He said "I think", and he gave an estimate explicitly based on reasons he didn't try to hide. Ergo it was a personal opinion. Nowhere he did claim or imply the 360k figure was the actual number of buys it did. And nowhere did he claim the past numbers he released were derived that way.

Regardless of what you think of his credibility for PPV #s, you're showing a severe lack of reading comprehension, or you're just purposely playing stupid.
                  Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 11-28-2016, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• Prior to the main event everyone knows the foreigner wil be robbed so that turned off some potential viewers, the rematch is probably lower, thanks to ward and the 3 blind judges - make america great again

Comment

• People pay to see Floyd and McGregor cause they want to see them lose not cause they are over exciting. Mike Tyson was a box office draw cause of the excitement he brought to the ring.

Comment

Working...
                      X