Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward-Sergey Kovalev PPV Show Barely Cracked 160K Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
    I actually find Ward and Kovalev to be two of the most interesting characters in the sport right now. It is the promoters' fault for failing to build a compelling narrative and sell it to the public. Also, the weak tune-ups didn't help either, it was basically a waste of a year
    You are a boxing fan. I'm talking about to the non boxing fan. While they may be interesting, that doesn't mean they have the ability to sell tickets to non boxing fans.

You can't build a compelling narrative when one guy barely speaks English and the other guy barely speaks. You need the individuals to connect with the fans and get them excited and make them want to buy the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post

Damn, that's bad news if true. Means the promoters probably took a hit and might hurt the chances of a rematch. That's about $5.8mill, just covers Ward's cut. Not sure what kind of site fee they got from MGM.
      and is also why the robbery happen. If the real guy won who really would want to see the rematch? I wouldnt really want to see it. I would watch just becasue but i really wouldnt want too.
      I want to see the rematch.

Comment

I predicted it would around 175 and 200k at best. Sounds like it couldn't even reach those numbers.

But the rematch will likely do more following the controversial decision of the first. Probably around 200k.

Comment

The promotion was lacking and both Ward and Kovalev are a hard sell.

Ward has absolutely zero personality. Its like talking to a pet rock. Couple that with a non fan friendly fighting style and you have all the makings for a talented but dull fighter who can't sell.

Kovalev while exciting to watch is not a star yet. He's a foreigner who barely speaks english.

Given these ppv results, Ward needs to get off of his high horse and realize that he's not a star.

For the record, this is the only ppv that I purchased all year!

Comment

Not shocked...

Boxing is dead in america...

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
              You are a boxing fan. I'm talking about to the non boxing fan. While they may be interesting, that doesn't mean they have the ability to sell tickets to non boxing fans.

You can't build a compelling narrative when one guy barely speaks English and the other guy barely speaks. You need the individuals to connect with the fans and get them excited and make them want to buy the fight.
              And Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather are so charismatic?

Kovalev's interviews are always full of funny **** and Ward is an articulate guy. Go dredge up some of their rare interviews on YouTube or BoxingScene's front page or something. Your misconception of them as boring is due to the promoters' failure to provide them with an adequate platform

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
                and is also why the robbery happen. If the real guy won who really would want to see the rematch? I wouldnt really want to see it. I would watch just becasue but i really wouldnt want too.
                I want to see the rematch.
                I'm not sure a rematch happens if both sides took a substantial loss. Yeah they make more in a rematch, but do they break even for the rematch? Do they break even for the sum total of both fights? There's a chance the rematch puts them both deeper in the hole.

Good business might dictate they go back to sucking on HBO's tit with easy fights for moderate pay and hope to build interest in a future rematch. I hope to hell not.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
                  The promotion was lacking and both Ward and Kovalev are a hard sell.

Ward has absolutely zero personality. Its like talking to a pet rock. Couple that with a non fan friendly fighting style and you have all the makings for a talented but dull fighter who can't sell.

Kovalev while exciting to watch is not a star yet. He's a foreigner who barely speaks english.

Given these ppv results, Ward needs to get off of his high horse and realize that he's not a star.

For the record, this is the only ppv that I purchased all year!
                  Please. If Ward's numbers on BET and the Brand fight on HBO didn't give him that hint nothing will. He doesn't care if the promotions bomb, his money is guaranteed.

Comment

I had a feeling this ppv would flop. this is really bad.

Comment

If that's true then that's terrible

Jheeze Canelo gets nearly double that fighting Liam Smith and triple fighting Amir Khan. This sport is doomed it seems.

Comment

Working...
                      X