Kovalev won that fight, he's the P4P king

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=King_;17214628]
    Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

I think the compubox stats for those last 6 rounds will determine whether or not this was a robbery.

If Kovalev outlanded Ward in the majority of those 6 rounds, and failed to get a single one of those rounds from the judges, would that sway you a bit more towards the "robbery" side?
    I don't take any notice of compubox stats.

Like I said, I could see an argument for Ward winning the last 6.

Most rounds from round 2 onward were either way rounds. The fight was really close so no I definitely won't lean toward a robbery and the fact all 3 cards had 1 point in it reflect that.

Comment

Chocolatito #1

Kovalev #2

Ward #3

Those are the top 3 P4P.

Comment

[QUOTE=IronDanHamza;17215015]
        Originally posted by King_ View Post

I don't take any notice of compubox stats.

Like I said, I could see an argument for Ward winning the last 6.

Most rounds from round 2 onward were either way rounds. The fight was really close so no I definitely won't lean toward a robbery and the fact all 3 cards had 1 point in it reflect that.
        All 3 scorecards also gave the 10th round to Ward.

Rewatch the 10th round and come back and tell us that you truly believe Ward won round 10.

A unanimous score of 3-0 for the guy who clearly lost a particular round, is more then just controversy- when said fight ended up being a difference of 1 total point. It's more towards "robbery," IMO. But that's just me.

Now had that 10th round been more of a 50-50 round and Ward gets it 2-1, then that's different. But that's clearly not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          Kovalev fans have every right to feel this way today. I don't think he was robbed, but I had him ahead. And he had the better case for winning IMO.
          They shouldn't feel anyway. They should accept the fact that the fight could had gone EITHER way and it went to the other dude. Kovalev has the rematch clause and he will get a second chance to redeem himself.

Screaming robbery is pure rubbish. This was an excellent fight and the screams of robbery are just ruining it. Boxing fans love to moan and whine.

Comment

[QUOTE=King_;17215021]

All 3 scorecards also gave the 10th round to Ward.

Rewatch the 10th round and come back and tell us that you truly believe Ward won round 10.

A unanimous score of 3-0 for the guy who clearly lost a particular round, is more then just controversy- when said fight ended up being a difference of 1 total point. It's more towards "robbery," IMO. But that's just me.

Now had that 10th round been more of a 50-50 round and Ward gets it 2-1, then that's different. But that's clearly not the case.
            I scored the 10th for Kovalev.

I also scored the 3rd for Ward which all 3 judges gave Kovalev.

Close rounds, it happens.

Comment

I disagree. I thought Lampley was more spot on than those two.

Ward was being gifted rounds by merely surviving, IMHO, but Kovalev was the one doing the cleaner, more effective work. Ward had some nice body shots, but once again, without those, what else could you possibly say about what he was doing? There's nothing else really, and if you pay close attention to those rounds Ward landed some body shots, Kovalev came back with body shots also but followed up with more work to the head.
              Jim lamply is not a good commentator he is a bias HBO fighter or at least HBO pushes for their agenda even Roy wanted to say Ward would win before the fight but he can't cause he works for HBO....the cleanest punch was by kov. Which is why he scored the knock down but I think Ward landed more clean shots through out the fight. About 4 rounds were close and could of gone either way its one of those we need to see in slow motion. Regardless we should see a rematch.

Comment

I agree Kovalev clearly won the fight. I had GGG 1st, Kovalev 2nd and Ward 9th PFP going into the fight. GGG has never lost and I see no reason to remove him from first place as Kovalev beat Ward but GGG has never even come close to losing or having a draw. If GGG doesn't shine in his fight with Jacobs I'll place Kovalev at number 1 PFP. Until then I've got GGG 1st, Kovalev remains 2nd and Ward climbs to 7th for putting up a good fight. Pound for pound is just opinion based and can't be proven right or wrong so if you have Kovalev 1st PFP that's fine with me.

Comment

Oh really? Can you specify which ones?

According to Weebler I he reckons that this is the same situation as Pacquaio-Bradley 1 where "everyone thinks Kovalev won clearly"

I already know factually that atleast 7 ringside had it for Ward but who else did?
                  My mistake. When I posted this, I saw that the average of 128 people was 114-113 and thought that was the scorers at ringside. I now realize 70% had Kov winning. I had kov winning as well.
                  Last edited by The Big Dunn; 11-21-2016, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    My mistake. When I posted this, I saw that the average of 128 ople was 114-113 and thought that was the scorers at ringside. I now realize 70% had Kov winning. I had kov winning as well.
                    Yeah I've seen it now.

Still, a quarter had Ward winning.

Slightly more than the 1% that had Bradley beating Pacquaio.

Comment

[QUOTE=IronDanHamza;17215034]

I scored the 10th for Kovalev.

I also scored the 3rd for Ward which all 3 judges gave Kovalev.

Close rounds, it happens.
                      Scoring close rounds to the guy who is only really throwing jabs and looking to move on the backfoot and clinch?
                      I don't see it, close rounds should be awarded to the aggressor the guy making the fight and arguably the champion should get the benefit of the doubt but those close rounds weren't so close when you compare power punches landed, power punch counts more than one or two flashy jabs.

Comment

Working...
                      X