No announcement yet.

The Road To Ward/Kovalev: As A True Fan Of The Sport - Calm Before The Storm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent write up, my man.

Look forward to your "Wrap up" after the fight.

This is exactly the reason why your my homie.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
      We are less than a week away from what I consider to be the biggest fight since possibly ODLH/Trinidad. What makes this fight special to me is a combination of the willingness of two elite fighters at the pinnacle to face each other, the significance of the fight results, and the masterpiece we will be treated to in style clashes and battles of the boxing mind.

In an era where prizefighting and it's fanbase is more concerned with the prize as opposed to the fighting, where negotiations and protecting hopefuls on their way to the money-generating top take a front seat and the core - the action, the style clashes, the personal storylines take a backseat, often almost lost among the hubris of greed and deception; how fantastic it is to see a light in the darkness, a glimmer of hope, a reminder as to why I fell in love with the sweet science materialize itself, manifest itself in the most purest of forms: the best fighting the best, no strings attached.

It has been many years since a singular fight has decided who should wear the crown as the pound for pound king, undisputed. The word brings chills up my spine. We were close, so close, in 2010, but the two titans of the sport at the time, for reasons which don't matter here and now, would not collide for many years later. There was no such delay here. And there shouldn't be. Boxing needs heroes, needs storylines that grip you and don't let go until the last bell rings. Ward, despite all his obscurity at the highest level, still remains one of the most perfect, most disciplined and humble fighters out there. Kovalev, despite the focus on his power and killer instinct, very much the complete fighter in practice, and perfect in record, has what it takes to enter the ring of truth and produce what we as boxing fans, true boxing fans, have had very little of, possibly ever in our lifetimes: a real 50/50 fight.

The style clash will be something remarkable, something to behold. Something that could even be underwhelming to the fan who's eye is not yet fine tuned to pick up the finer nunaces of the sport. Foreman once said the better boxing is the less it is appreciated, and that rings true today and always will, however for those of us who recognize and appreciate the sport at the highest level, we are in for a treat. This fight will have everything. Two men, ignorant to defeat, complete as they come, powerful, intelligent, determined, conditioned, hungry. Ready. Ready to leave it all in the ring in the name of legacy, history, pride, honor, blood. No payoffs, no dives, not "just an opponent". A true test at the highest level, of the highest caliber.

This is the anticipation, the calm before the storm. Enjoy it. Enjoy it like you would enjoy a peaceful relaxing drive into the mountains for the weekend. Know that the best is yet to come, but that getting there is half the reward itself. When it's over, we will have closure. No debates, no bitterness - not for us true fans. Fight fans. Fans who can set aside differences, tastes in fighter and style, and just be fans again - be the boy who fell in love with boxing the first time you realized what you were watching wasn't chaos and mindless swinging, but coordinated, orchestrated violence, and it was beautiful. For us unbiased fans of boxing, we will be kids again on fight night. Our dreams, our fantasies, this is what they ultimately always are in the end - the maximum. The climax. Two masters of their art, clashing for supremacy. For the fan who can set aside individual fandom and just love the sport for what it is, for one night, he will have an experience like no other in life. This is what we live for gentlemen, this is boxing, and on 11.19.16 we will all be in nirvana, for no matter who rises victorious, we can all agree that the best man truly won, and the best man will be truly recognized, and that he was truly tested, and it's times like these, no matter how distant from each other, when it all pays off.

~Wraps
      But Stevenson's the real champ doe, and both of them chickens ducked him, and they both got dropped by Boone and Ward's gonna be holding and head-butting all night and there's 3 American referees so how can it be a fair fight and Kovalev's a racist and he's been using Meldonium and he's gonna be punching the wall in his dressing room to flatten all the padding in his gloves like he always does ... and that's an excellent piece of writing mate, I hope the fight does it justice!

Comment

ATG post

bravo my homie Wraps, brav-f**king-o

Comment

Thanks guys for all the kind words!

I will definitely have a post fight piece as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
            ^ that guy just got swiftly added to my ignore list. It's been a while since I dusted that bad boy off.
            Cant handle criticism?

Comment

Originally posted by stuff jones View Post
              Cant handle criticism?
              He's a known ignorant troll, criticism and hate posts aren't the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                But Stevenson's the real champ doe, and both of them chickens ducked him, and they both got dropped by Boone and Ward's gonna be holding and head-butting all night and there's 3 American referees so how can it be a fair fight and Kovalev's a racist and he's been using Meldonium and he's gonna be punching the wall in his dressing room to flatten all the padding in his gloves like he always does ... and that's an excellent piece of writing mate, I hope the fight does it justice!

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  Good thread. I've never been so into a fight. Emotionally, I've been more hyped before because there were times when I REALLY wanted one guy to beat another (Sergio vs Jr). This time, I like both so I'm not nervous about being disappointed. But, the whole mystique of the thing, the number of scenarios that may play out, the fact that the smallest of things will sway the outcome is incredible to take in. It's like a motorhead knowing he's going to get to drive an original Ford GTO. You get hyped, you hope you can take it all in, and hope that it lives up to the hype. It might not be yours, but in that moment, you are at the pinnacle.
                  Brilliant, I only just saw this reply. I'm not sure about the Ford though, I think you meant Lamborghini Gallardo, each to their own though.

When I saw 'Motorhead' I thought you meant Lemmy's Motörhead, I thought this guy is fückin Motörhead fan too !

This fight I literally am so stoked just because the fighters are being acknowledged for taking each other on, no years of ducking whilst one slides into insignificance or the other delays as so that it damages his future marketability. Postol vs Crawford, this and then Loma vs Walters, these guys have saved a pathetic year with few highlights. Credit Frampton, Cruz, Quigg, Usyk and Glowacki this year too, who I missed ? Not many but these guys deserve the all the kudos available.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_BOXNG View Post
                    The p4p throne is on the line, only trolls can be negative about either fighter
                    Whilst the trolls are busy making false twitter accounts claiming Ward raped a minor, you wanna talk boxing ? These are the threads where the real boxing talk is at.

Comment

While I don't agree with how big you feel this fight is ("biggest fight since ODLH vs Tito") I for sure agree with your overall sentiment with your post & am looking forward to this even-ish clash of styles that I'm not as confident as I typically am with how a fight will go thats as big as this one.

Comment

Working...
                      X