Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Darnell Boone drop Kovalev in their first fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VatoMulatto View Post
    I've been told the first fights was tough and competitive but did he also drop Kovalev? I cant find any video of this fight for whatever reason.
    To my knowledge there is no footage and plenty of people - including myself - have put some effort into looking. There also ain't much in the way of witness accounts though I did manage to find a coupla things none of which are satisfactory. Officially there was 1 KD - probably in the 6th, though I've heard it said Boone reckons there were further KDs that weren't counted.

Best I've been able to reconstruct it Kovalev started off dominantly (commentary from Boone 2 suggests Kovalev at least felt he let Boone off the hook early) but then gassed badly somewhere around the 5th, got dropped in the 6th and basically just hung on 'through will alone' or somesuch I think he said in one interview.

I'm not sure about claims that Boone should have got the nod, the fight was in his home town and at the time Kovalev was a literal nobody with no real backing - in short there was no real reason to suspect it, and Deezol did also claim that he should have gotten the nod against Ward, which he clearly shouldn't from the footage.

Kovalev claims his preparation was off - mentally - for the fight leading him first to take Boone lightly then from the sounds work himself into something of a panic in the days leading up to the fight and perhaps overtrain. Also worth noting that Kovalev had never fought beyond 2 rounds in a pro ring prior to meeting Deezol and was only 9 fights into his career - guess his inexperience was a major factor here and I guess the fight was a real learning experience for him.
    Last edited by Citizen Koba; 10-26-2016, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Wasn't Ward green when he fought Boone as well??
      Yep, but the facts shouldn't get in the way of a story...

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

no he did not drop kovalev. thats impossible

Comment

Comment

It's impossible to find video of Boone's fights except when he loses decisively. Some Boxing illuminati type **** lol.

Comment

Boone has faced some good guys. His CV is a reading of recognizable names : Ward, Pascal, Lara, Stevenson, Kovalev, Stevens. Even the likes of Monroe, Periban, Rodriguez and Vera.

His KD's of Ward and Kovalev, and KO of Stevenson are a feather in his cap considering his 'journey man' status.

I know Boone mentioned he dropped Kovalev several times, but i've never seen that mentioned in any write ups iv'e read on the fight. I think it may well be an exaggeration on his part.

I always thought the Caperello KD was a bit iffy also. It looked to me it was more to do with the fact that Capaerllo was stood on Kovalev's foot.

I became partial to checking out Boone's fight results over the years when i seen that he had a fight scheduled.
                    He has spiked my interest over the years, due to some of the surprising moments he has sprung.
                    Last edited by Chrismart; 10-27-2016, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by have_not View Post

Smh at the people that says Ward beats GGG. Just SMH.

Comment

Working...
                      X