Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are GGG's opponents pricing themselves out or are they believing the GGG hype?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are scared, simple as that. What more is there to be said?

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      It'll generate more than Lemiuex vs GGG. Jacobs isn't as big a star as GGG but he's way more known in the NY area than Lemeiux. He can also reach different audience than Lemeiux& GGG. People say Jacobs-Quillin only did 9k in attendance. But how many fighters are doing that? GGG, Canelo, Ward, Pacquiao. GGG-LEmeiex did a $2mil gate at MSG. Garcia vs Paulie did a $1.1 mil gate in Brooklyn with cheaper ticket prices and and less people. GGG-Jacobs will do more than the $2mil and they'll probably get a site fee for Barclays which they won't get for MSG.

But my point is if GGG is big enough that he can turn down $10mil and a piece of PPV he should've been able to give Jacobs $3mil and put the fight on PPV. If he can't host a PPV fighting a guy more known than the guy he fought previously on PPV then something isn't adding up. An established PPV star, Cotto, did 900k on PPV. How much are people thinking GGG vs Canelo is gonna do?

Those 2 things arent related though, because they are at 2 different points in time. Right here, right now, Jacobs isnt worth that much money, based on his ticket sales and viewer ratings. He is probably worth closer to the $500k he just got for Mora rematch.

As for the $10 million flat fee for a fight a year away, obviously GGG / K2 feel that a year from now their market clout will be better, perhaps if they can pick up Saunders belt in the meantime, further improving their position. And they are willing to take a chance on the overall success of the event and take a percentage vs a flat fee. Nothing wrong with that.

And also nobody knows what other terms were in Golden Boy's "offer". Was there language in the offer that restricted GGGs split in a prospective rematch? Were there other terms that just weren't acceptable? See, nobody here has a clue, but are quick to run their mouths about "but but but 10 million doe" and dont even know what was in the package offered.
      Last edited by OnePunch; 10-17-2016, 11:44 AM.

Comment

When I say hype I'm not talking about his skills, those are legit. I'm talking about the media hype that surrounds him.
        I believe you can use the term "hype" for the fans. But not for the fighters and trainers. They see beyond the hype. They see something on GGG that makes them think twice before fighting him. As I say, he's not the perfect fighter, but he's very good and can damage people. His defense might not be 10/10, but still it's pretty good and backed up by a great chin. So the guy is really hard to beat by a rival on equal circumstances (similar size than him).

But as the years go by you'll see more and more people willing to fight him. Not because he will be "eventually exposed" as some think, but because he's getting older. At 36/37 years old and doing VADA testing as he is, he won't be as powerful, as fast, or as durable as he was at 30 years old, and that's when Canelo and other younger lions will agree to fight him.

His amateur careers speaks for itself. The guy is feared. While I understand that he's not a PPV star, he did about 5 millions (rumoured, probably 4? I don't know) in his last fight, so his purses DID increase lately. Less than two years ago he used to earn 1.5 millions, and then 2 millions, and now almost 5.

I would assume that fighting Jacobs he won't get more than 2.5, but it's still a nice amount of money for a non PPV star.

And there's not much more to analyze to be honest. He will be remembered as a tremendous fighter that no one wanted to fight for 5+ years. And some others will say he was a bum beater. And at the end of the day, he will enjoy his millions with his family and not care too much what people say.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
          Those 2 things arent related though, because they are at 2 different points in time. Right here, right now, Jacobs isnt worth that much money, based on his ticket sales and viewer ratings. He is probably worth closer to the $500k he just got for Mora rematch.

As for the $10 million flat fee for a fight a year away, obviously GGG / K2 feel that a year from now their market clout will be better, perhaps if they can pick up Saunders belt in the meantime, further imporiving their position. And they are willing to take a chance on the overall success of the event and take a percentage vs a flat fee. Nothing wrong with that.

And also nobody knows what other terms were in Golden Boy's "offer". Was there language in the offer that restricted GGGs split in a prospective rematch? Were there other terms that just weren't acceptable? See, nobody here has a clue, but are quick to run their mouths about "but but but 10 million doe" and dont even know what was in the package offered.
          Ten million is more than Canelo got paid to fight Cotto. The Cotto fight did 900k. Cotto was an established star. And it was Mexico vs Puerto Rico. I have no idea where people are getting this idea GGG -Canelo will sell more than the Cotto fight. And the WBO belt being on the line means nothing to Canelo. Even before he vacated the MW WBC he'd shown that belts aren't held in high regards to him. I think GGG is maxed out in terms of popularity. The only fighter that could boost his profile is Canelo. What do you think he could do from now until next September to raise his profile?

As far as what Jacobs is worth I'm just gonna wait on the purse bid. K2's offer should give us a pretty good idea of how much money they were offering Jacobs

Comment

If the money is right anyone will face anyone, why should anyone take on a sterner test for less money ? In Jacobs case he's used to being overplayed by Haymon to face the likes of Mora and Quillin it is little wonder he is reluctant to face a guy he knows will damage his ability to earn big pay days going forward.

Saunders is in a similar position, he can face GGG for a pittance or wait for an offer from Cameltoe for a kings ransom.

Comment

It'll generate more than Lemiuex vs GGG. Jacobs isn't as big a star as GGG but he's way more known in the NY area than Lemeiux. He can also reach different audience than Lemeiux& GGG. People say Jacobs-Quillin only did 9k in attendance. But how many fighters are doing that? GGG, Canelo, Ward, Pacquiao. GGG-LEmeiex did a $2mil gate at MSG. Garcia vs Paulie did a $1.1 mil gate in Brooklyn with cheaper ticket prices and and less people. GGG-Jacobs will do more than the $2mil and they'll probably get a site fee for Barclays which they won't get for MSG.

But my point is if GGG is big enough that he can turn down $10mil and a piece of PPV he should've been able to give Jacobs $3mil and put the fight on PPV. If he can't host a PPV fighting a guy more known than the guy he fought previously on PPV then something isn't adding up. An established PPV star, Cotto, did 900k on PPV. How much are people thinking GGG vs Canelo is gonna do?
              I would tweak this just a bit.

If k2 can offer BJS $3 mil for a fight then they shouldn't be surprised that Danny Jacobs, a more well known fighter, is asking for at least the same.

The 2 offers are exclusive of one another. Just because they offer BJS that doesn't mean they are required to offer Jacobs the same. However, it is clear that both fights will not generate enough to pay BJS or Jacobs $3 mil and GGG what he expects.

Why is K2 willing to lose money on a BJS fight but not Jacobs?

In the end, Jacobs is trying to get the most he can for a GGG fight the same way GGG is trying to get the most he can for a Canelo fight.

It can't be wrong for one and not the other.

Comment

Ten million is more than Canelo got paid to fight Cotto. The Cotto fight did 900k. Cotto was an established star. And it was Mexico vs Puerto Rico. I have no idea where people are getting this idea GGG -Canelo will sell more than the Cotto fight. And the WBO belt being on the line means nothing to Canelo. Even before he vacated the MW WBC he'd shown that belts aren't held in high regards to him. I think GGG is maxed out in terms of popularity. The only fighter that could boost his profile is Canelo. What do you think he could do from now until next September to raise his profile?

As far as what Jacobs is worth I'm just gonna wait on the purse bid. K2's offer should give us a pretty good idea of how much money they were offering Jacobs
                Didn't Canelo do 5 millions + PPV/gate share? And also money from Mexican TV. You don't know what he ended up making.

Only on PPV the fight made 67,500,000 millions. Depending on how bigger the Canelo ppv share was, he could make 10, 20 more millions.

Canelo vs GGG would generate around 1 million PPVs, so Golovkin earning only 10 millions is unfair.
                Last edited by _Maxi; 10-17-2016, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
                  Didn't Canelo do 5 millions + PPV/gate share? And also money from Mexican TV. You don't know what he ended up making.

Only on PPV the fight made 67,500,000 millions. Depending on how bigger the Canelo ppv share was, he could make 10, 20 more millions.

Canelo vs GGG would generate around 1 million PPVs, so Golovkin earning only 10 millions is unfair.
                  How is it gonna do a million PPV when the Cotto fight didn't do a million? Cotto is an established star with PPV double, triple, quadruple the numbers GGG has done. This is what I'm talking about when i say hype. His skills aren't hyped, he's the real deal. His popularity of hyped. He's not as big as people think is

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    I would tweak this just a bit.

If k2 can offer BJS $3 mil for a fight then they shouldn't be surprised that Danny Jacobs, a more well known fighter, is asking for at least the same.

The 2 offers are exclusive of one another. Just because they offer BJS that doesn't mean they are required to offer Jacobs the same. However, it is clear that both fights will not generate enough to pay BJS or Jacobs $3 mil and GGG what he expects.

Why is K2 willing to lose money on a BJS fight but not Jacobs?

In the end, Jacobs is trying to get the most he can for a GGG fight the same way GGG is trying to get the most he can for a Canelo fight.

It can't be wrong for one and not the other.
                    why is this so hard for people to understand? Saunders brings a UK ppv audience. Jacobs does not.

Sure, one could argue that Saunders UK appeal is less than Brook, but it doesnt matter. If they only generate a few million bucks on UK ppv, that is enough to bridge the gap and pay Saunders. Jacobs brings no such audience, and truth be told GGG actually draws better in NY than Jacobs does.

But putting all that aside, Saunders has the leverage of having the last belt that GGG wants. Again, Jacobs has no such leverage. Jacobs is just another mando challenger, perhaps a bit more recognizable than Wade, but in reality not some blockbuster superstar, and certainly no shot-caller.

You cannot compare Saunders and Jacobs because their scenarios are different on every level
                    Last edited by OnePunch; 10-17-2016, 11:56 AM.

Comment

How is it gonna do a million PPV when the Cotto fight didn't do a million? Cotto is an established star with PPV double, triple, quadruple the numbers GGG has done. This is what I'm talking about when i say hype. His skills aren't hyped, he's the real deal. His popularity of hyped. He's not as big as people think is
                      Then perhaps you could explain something. Im assuming that Golden Boy is not in the charity business, so please give me a reason they would want to lock in an 8 figure fee a YEAR in advance, if they didnt think it was to their benefit?

Comment

Working...
                      X