Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GGG wants more money to fight Canelo than Canelo and Cotto got to fight Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ce1ska View Post
    Who cares what he earned vs Floyd? That has absolutely nothing to do with this fight.
    There isn't as much money in this fight as there was in the Canelo/Floyd fight so it does matter because if he's asking for more money in a fight where there's less money available he's clearly pricing himself out

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
      Hopkins gave up weight to Oscar, and Martinez gave up weight to Cotto, so what the heck are you talking about?
      If you don't understand the convo you are jumping into, I would advise you go back and reread the thread to understand the context. But a quick synopsis is as follows. Two champs gave up weight to smaller fighters. That is not the case here with two MW champs. The analogy used by the other poster is therefore inapplicable.

Comment

Alvarez has never fought above 155lbs, while just having made 154lb this past Saturday.

With no belts on the line, why would Alvarez choose to just fight 5 pounds above the highest weight he's ever fought at?
        They'll be fighting for the Middleweight belts...

Why are people still arguing weight? Canelo said it wasn't a problem before negotiations even started.

How big of a hissy fit would GGG haters throw if GGG fought for SMW titles at a 161 CW?
        Last edited by Ce1ska; 09-23-2016, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
          There isn't as much money in this fight as there was in the Canelo/Floyd fight so it does matter because if he's asking for more money in a fight where there's less money available he's clearly pricing himself out
          How much did Floyd make?

Comment

Originally posted by WesternChamp View Post
            thats becsause floyd always low ball his opponents. chino only got $1.5mil in the first and then $3mil in the rematch, not including ppv.

when floyd is getting a guaranteed of $32mil its not hard why canelo and cotto ended up with those numbers.
            "Chino" Maidana, in both fights, got the Latin American TV rights to the fight (though I expect that Floyd kept the Mexico TV) on top of whatever was his disclosed take. You add the sponsorship money that he likely ended up getting for being on two Mayweather PPVs, and it's no wonder that the man immediately said "to hell with boxing, I'm going home to enjoy life with my family".

I have no real notion for how far a dollar goes in Argentina, but after paying Contursi, Robert Garcia, whatever other training expenses and taxes, Maidana likely took home $2m of the disclosed $4.5m that he (30m argentine peso at today's exchange rate). With a standard Volkswagon hatchback (with no extras) going for almost 400k Argentine peso https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/buenos-aires ,I find it hard for even that much money to be enough for a man to think that he can sustain his life and his kid's life, and simply retire.

Comment

"Chino" Maidana, in both fights, got the Latin American TV rights to the fight (though I expect that Floyd kept the Mexico TV) on top of whatever was his disclosed take. You add the sponsorship money that he likely ended up getting for being on two Mayweather PPVs, and it's no wonder that the man immediately said "to hell with boxing, I'm going home to enjoy life with my family".

I have no real notion for how far a dollar goes in Argentina, but after paying Contursi, Robert Garcia, whatever other training expenses and taxes, Maidana likely took home $2m of the disclosed $4.5m that he (30m argentine peso at today's exchange rate). With a standard Volkswagon hatchback (with no extras) going for almost 400k Argentine peso https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/buenos-aires ,I find it hard for even that much money to be enough for a man to think that he can sustain his life and his kid's life, and simply retire.
              Having Al Haymon is the reason Maidana got such a sweet deal.

I don't understand why the guy gets so much hate.

The reason you don't see Pritchet Colon's people asking for help is because is Haymon is paying all of his expenses, and recently had him moved to the best aftercare facility in the entire Country.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
                155 is the MW division. It's that plain and simple. Hes been a MW for the last 3 years. If we are to believe Mr Alvarez's most recent statement, then he will return to the MW division. When he fought at 154 this past weekend, he was introduced as the current reigning MW lineal champ. Many have argued on this site in the past couple days that the lineal champ is THE champ. If you are contending that he is a JMW, rather than a MW, shouldn't he be stripped of the lineal MW title pursuant to Ring rules? I don't believe in splitting hairs talking about each pound like it's its own weight division. Either he is a MW (160 and below) or he isn't. Which is it?
                If 155 is the middleweight division, why can't Golovkin fight Alvarez at 155lbs?

Alvarez was introduced as whatever he was introduced as because Golden was looking to make the event a spectacle (and simply saying that he was challenging for a junior middleweight title wouldn't have been enough); also a note, Ring Magazine is owned by Oscar De La Hoya. Ring Magazine has been a shill for Oscar's Golden Boy for some time now, and the ratings board isn't above playing in that same nonsense (stripping Adonis Stevenson and Guillermo Rigondeaux without cause, ignoring Alvarez's move from the division, Golden Boy's Francisco Vargas as being rated #1 at 130, etc).

Alvarez calls himself a junior middleweight, Alvarez's camp call him a junior middleweight, and Oscar De La Hoya calls him a junior middleweight.

You add that he has no actual title at middleweight, and it's beyond obvious that Alvarez is not a middleweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Ce1ska View Post
                  How much did Floyd make?
                  As the B-side against Floyd, Canelo made a total of $9 mil after a purse guarantee of $5 mil.

As the B-side against Cotto, Canelo made $7 mil after a purse guarantee of $5mil.

Canelo vs. GGG will not be bigger than either one of those fights. And if Loeffler thinks it'll be bigger than the Cotto fight he should take the $10 mil and the PPV upside offered by Golden Boy and take a gamble on his fighter. Beating Alvarez will make him a much bigger star.

Comment

Originally posted by Rysandro View Post
                    Ok let's say the revenue for Canelo v GGG is 50% more than the Cotto vs Canelo fight. The revenue for that fight was 58 million, of which Cotto got 15 million and Canelo 5 million. So less than half the revenue went to the fighters!

50% more than 58 million would be 87million. Half of the revenue going towards fighters would leave 43.5 million for Canelo and GGG.

If they split that 43 million 70/30, that would be 30 million for Canelo and 13 million for GGG.

Not much different than the 10 million plus little upside that's apparently on the table
                    $15m/$5m were only the guarantees to the fighters; the fight doing $58m on PPV (which is my assumption for what you've stated), left $29m for Golden Boy/Roc Nation/Canelo Promotions/Miguel Cotto Promotions to divvy up. You add the $15m site fee from MGM Resorts to host, Canelo Promotions keeping the Mexico TV rights, the international TV money that came into the pot, and the other revenues, and the fighters walked away with well more than $20m off of the fight, without any doubt.

Alvarez and Cotto, when all was counted, likely ended up with $40m between the two of them.

For an Alvarez-Golovkin fight to do $87m on PPV, you're talking about the show doing 1.5m PPV buys! lol

With Golovkin's pay package being eight-figures ($3m off of the expected Jerry Jones site fee, the TV rights to the fight for the UK and all of a Europe, a possible sponsorship spot on the event, and a PPV share at about where Golden Boy would think that Golovkin was adding value to the show), trying to justify a convoluted plan to simply be able to say "we get a split on the fight" is silly.

Sit down, work to add on some more of the international TV rights for your camp, but take the deal.

Comment

If 155 is the middleweight division, why can't Golovkin fight Alvarez at 155lbs?

Alvarez was introduced as whatever he was introduced as because Golden was looking to make the event a spectacle (and simply saying that he was challenging for a junior middleweight title wouldn't have been enough); also a note, Ring Magazine is owned by Oscar De La Hoya. Ring Magazine has been a shill for Oscar's Golden Boy for some time now, and the ratings board isn't above playing in that same nonsense (stripping Adonis Stevenson and Guillermo Rigondeaux without cause, ignoring Alvarez's move from the division, Golden Boy's Francisco Vargas as being rated #1 at 130, etc).

Alvarez calls himself a junior middleweight, Alvarez's camp call him a junior middleweight, and Oscar De La Hoya calls him a junior middleweight.

You add that he has no actual title at middleweight, and it's beyond obvious that Alvarez is not a middleweight.
                      The answer to your first question is actually contained in the post you responded to. MW is 160 and below. Alvarez was introduced as the reigning MW champ (I see its hard for you to put those words together) because he ACTUALLY IS the reigning lineal MW champ. Alvarez can call himself a welterweight if he so chooses, but that does not negate the fact that he has been fighting in the MW division for 3 years except for this one fight, that he has won and since forfeited a belt in the MW division, and has said he would return to the MW division. Now if he wants to forfeit his lineal MW title by remaining and campaigning as a JMW, that's fine, and quite easy since as you eluded to, his promoter is the owner of Ring Mag. It's real simple..."Hey Oscar, I dont want to be lineal MW champ anymore. Please say its vacant for GGG and Jacobs to fight for". Of course, that requires honesty and integrity which is something seemingly lacking at GBP.

Comment

Working...
                      X