No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum Explains Why "Whites" Are Abandoning Boxing For UFC

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
    didnt spence just beat up an old man on it? wilder fighting some fat, shot arreola?
    Bundu ranked top ten by the IBF, title eliminator after 5 previous guys turned it down. Was he supposed to not fight at all? What were the alternatives? He doesn't have a belt so he couldn't schedule a unification. He guaranteed himself a title shot. Wilder had to fight someone because the Povetkin fight was canceled. Who was better that was available or acceptable? Should he not fought? That's why I said blatant mismatches. Like the one happening on the 10th

Comment

Originally posted by DionysusX View Post
      I think there's SOME sense in what Bob's saying
      Originally posted by Marvlus Marv View Post
      What Bob's saying is true. Heck, it's been obvious for a while now. There are plenty white europeans in the top level mix but hardly any white Americans. I really don't know why some folks have a problem with this observation.
      Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
      Bob Arum stating the obvious.
      Who are these white fighters that kept whites watching the sport for the last 40 years or so?

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        Who are these white fighters that kept whites watching the sport for the last 40 years or so?
        I would mention de la Hoya since white Americans would identify with a Hispanics as pugilist fans, perhaps. The greatest white Americans go further back, obviously, before 'tv era' of 70s and forward (also beginning with HW golden era, specifically, predominantly dominated by black fighters) -- then I would mention Tommy Morrisson in the same breath, in the 90s. Gerry Cooney? Jerry Quarry? Kelly Pavlik?
        Last edited by Weltschmerz; 09-01-2016, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Bundu ranked top ten by the IBF, title eliminator after 5 previous guys turned it down. Was he supposed to not fight at all? What were the alternatives? He doesn't have a belt so he couldn't schedule a unification. He guaranteed himself a title shot. Wilder had to fight someone because the Povetkin fight was canceled. Who was better that was available or acceptable? Should he not fought? That's why I said blatant mismatches. Like the one happening on the 10th
          well they are still mismatches, spence was 1/100 on to beat bundu. Im not blaming the fighters, just saying most the fights havent been competitive or theyve featured no namers.

Comment

White males between 18 and 39 are the key demographic. People that age and that race don't watch boxing. They watch football and ufc, so unless Jason Litzau starts wearing board shorts and begins 'striking' and 'dirty boxing' OR commences to punch fighters out of a 3 point stance Arum is right. THAT demographic isn't intrigued by Crawford VS Manny. Let's stop acting like boxing isn't in seeped racial and cultural biases. Mexico vs Puerto Rico. Ireland vs England. White vs Black.

Comment

People like Bob is the reason why fans are leaving boxing for UFC.

The sport is a fractured mess, he knows it's because of people like him and he's using race to cover the cracks.

Comment

Exactly, he's full of it. The alternative for Bob is to take a share of responsibility himself for the protectionist little ship he's running, but hell would freeze over sooner.

Comment

But it's true. Boxing full of blacks and latinos, so fans are. MMA full of white ppl so fans are. explain it then.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
                    I would mention de la Hoya since white Americans would identify with a Hispanics as pugilist fans, perhaps. The greatest white Americans go further back, obviously, before 'tv era' of 70s and forward (also beginning with HW golden era, specifically, predominantly dominated by black fighters) -- then I would mention Tommy Morrisson in the same breath, in the 90s. Gerry Cooney? Jerry Quarry? Kelly Pavlik?
                    Those were all good fighters but I wouldn't say they kept white people watching. More white people own Foreman grills and he lost to Morrison. They didn't come to Morrison to create a Morrison grill. They choose George Foreman.

Comment

its not anybodies fault that whites can compete in a skilled sport. i have no problem with the UFC. they are average fighters that has combined 4 0r 5 different combats. but they all lack skills. they can't throw a proper punch,take one,nor defend. look how easy it was for mcgregor to repeated knock Diaz down in the rematch. Diaz was unskilled to defend nor even think that this guy is hitting me with a punch that i should knows is coming. them mcgregor should've ko'd Daiz but he can't htrow the proper punch with force. any UFC fighter get the **** beat out of them in a boxing rig, whereas a boxer can who knows how to throw a proper punch with force can go in the cage a put a ufc fighterout cold. i don't like canelo but he will beat the living **** out of mcgregor in the ring or cage. simple and plain

Comment

Working...
                      X