Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the best fights in boxing not happening?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
    Bold reasons don't feel satisfactory to me

The first three bolds can be translated to "ducking". Truth is Pacquiao and team don't feel like he could beat Crawford right now, and Jacobs and Canelo both don't feel like they could beat GGG right now.

Also Andrade is a better fight than Smith, title or no title. Canelo had other title holders as options that would have been more intriguing fights to make too.
    Not many of them are satisfactory to me either. I was just giving reasons as to why some fights aren't happening. Playing devils advocate for most of them

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
      If you look at it logically, the reason is that it's too easy to avoid them. For both the fighters and the promoters. Until it becomes too difficult for fighters to make money any other way than fighting top competition, they will continue to avoid fighting top competition.
      Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
        Thurman vs Spence
        Broner vs Garcia
        Ortiz vs Joshua
        Joshua vs Wilder
        Wilder vs Fury
        Jacobs vs GGG
        Pacquiao vs Crawford
        Rigo vs Loma
        Canelo vs GGG
        Crawford vs Broner
        Canelo vs Andrade
        Beterbiev vs Stevenson
        Spence vs Garcia
        Spence vs Broner

People say boxing is dead and that the UFC has surpassed boxing. Maybe they're right. The UFC doesn't have this problem of the best not facing the best.

Boxing has this problem because promoters try to take their stars and maximize their potential earnings by matching them against guys they'll easily beat while earning maximum profit. All the while this makes business sense financially, but its completely ruined the sport.

I'm tired of "building" fights. I'll be 70 years old by the time I see 5 good fights. This is bullschit. The best needs to fight the best. Point blank period.

No more Floyd Mayweather business models
        I was in complete agreement with you until that asinine comment about Floyd Mayweather. In the last 10 years, Mayweather has fought the best fighters in and around his weight division. His only soft touch in the last 10 years (if you want to use that term) is Andre Berto, and Berto is considered a tough matchup for someone like Danny Garcia or Shawn Berto.

No other boxer has fought the type of quality opposite ion that Mayweather has fought in the last 10 years. Compare Floyd's last five opponents to anyone else's last five opponents and you will see that no one has fought the quality of opposition that Mayweather has. If today's fighters used the Mayweather business model, we would see type of fights that you mentioned.

If today's boxers
        Last edited by big_james10; 08-27-2016, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
          What exactly is Haymon waiting for?

Just look at some of the fights I listed in the other thread:

Thurman vs Garcia, Thurman vs Spence, Thurman vs Broner, Thurman vs Brook, Garcia vs Porter, Garcia vs Broner, Garcia vs Spence, Spence vs Porter, Spence vs Broner, Spence vs Peterson, Broner vs Peterson, Broner vs Berto, Broner vs Guerrero, Porter vs Berto, Porter vs Guerrero, Porter vs Peterson, Brook vs Garcia, Brook vs Broner, Brook vs Spence, Lara vs Andrade, Lara vs Williams, Lara vs Charlos, Lara vs Quillin, Lara vs Jacobs, and so on... more than 20 possible fights.

Are you telling me he can only make one or two of these per year?
          Most of these fights will likely remain fantasy fights. Thurman vs Brook was hot at one point. Two years later it's no longer being mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
            I was in complete agreement with you until that asinine comment about Floyd Mayweather. In the last 10 years, Mayweather has fought the best fighters in and around his weight division. His only soft touch in the last 10 years (if you want to use that term) is Andre Berto, and Berto is considered a tough matchup for someone like Danny Garcia or Shawn Berto.

No other boxer has fought the type of quality opposite ion that Mayweather has fought in the last 10 years. Compare Floyd's last five opponents to anyone else's last five opponents and you will see that no one has fought the quality of opposition that Mayweather has. If today's fighters used the Mayweather business model, we would see type of fights that you mentioned.

If today's boxers
            Man every time I turn around you got Floyd Mayweather's d1ck in your mouth.

Floyd didn't fight Cotto when he was supposed too. He didn't even mention Paul Williams. He wouldn't fight Margarito. There are a plethora of fights that didn't happen when they were supposed too.

For someone that fought once a year..... Once an entire year... And when he did fight, it was the best fight that made the most money, not the best fight in boxing. How can you say with a straight face that the Floyd Mayweather business model is benefiting boxing?

If every fighter fought a cherry pick once a year, can you imagine the state we'd be in, because that's where we're headed and that's what we've been dealing with.

All I know is every time I mention Floyd Mayweather, here you come to the fcukin rescue. Sit your punk ass down
            Last edited by Chollo Vista; 08-28-2016, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BreWall View Post
              Most of these fights will likely remain fantasy fights. Thurman vs Brook was hot at one point. Two years later it's no longer being mentioned.
              Just three years from now most of these fighters will have few fights left and will be thinking of retirement.

Comment

A lot of those need more building or make a disproportionate amount of sense for one fighter than the other. Some of those make sense to make right now

Comment

So what's the answer?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
                    So what's the answer?

Because everybody wants to be Floyd Mayweather and fight for the most money as oppose to the most competitive fight available. In addition to only fighting once or twice a year.

Regarding the guys they should be fighting, let's just say those fights need at least 7 years to build

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
                      Because everybody wants to be Floyd Mayweather and fight for the most money as oppose to the most competitive fight available. In addition to only fighting once or twice a year.

Regarding the guys they should be fighting, let's just say those fights need at least 7 years to build
                      You have any solution homey?

Comment

Working...
                      X