Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the best fights in boxing not happening?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are the best fights in boxing not happening?

Thurman vs Spence
    Broner vs Garcia
    Ortiz vs Joshua
    Joshua vs Wilder
    Wilder vs Fury
    Jacobs vs GGG
    Pacquiao vs Crawford
    Rigo vs Loma
    Canelo vs GGG
    Crawford vs Broner
    Canelo vs Andrade
    Beterbiev vs Stevenson
    Spence vs Garcia
    Spence vs Broner

People say boxing is dead and that the UFC has surpassed boxing. Maybe they're right. The UFC doesn't have this problem of the best not facing the best.

Boxing has this problem because promoters try to take their stars and maximize their potential earnings by matching them against guys they'll easily beat while earning maximum profit. All the while this makes business sense financially, but its completely ruined the sport.

I'm tired of "building" fights. I'll be 70 years old by the time I see 5 good fights. This is bullschit. The best needs to fight the best. Point blank period.

No more Floyd Mayweather business models
    Last edited by Chollo Vista; 08-21-2016, 04:41 PM.

I agree. Its sad..

Politics
    Money
    Greed
    Cowards
    Scared
    Protecting their 0s
    Promotion companies having beef

Disgusting actually. Then you have clowns agreeing with Garcia and Bruner turning down millions to fight the legendary Pac

Comment

Do really want to see Spence vs Thurman, but it could be too soon for him. If he took a hard KO loss, could really ruin his development/potential and Thurman wouldn't get credit.

Garcia's a decent bridge to that fight for Spence though. Thoroughly proven fighter that wouldn't destroy him if he lost.

Comment

Money. Boxing isn't a league like UFC. Every fight stands alone as a short term profit opportunity and will be built up until the profit reaches its maximum peak.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
          Money. Boxing isn't a league like UFC. Every fight stands alone as a short term profit opportunity and will be built up until the profit reaches its maximum peak.
          Then why is this model suffering and not prospering?

Outside of Mayweather and Pacquiao, boxing sucks right now?

PBC lost tons of money. HBO won't invest anymore. Showtimes ratings have suffered.

People keep saying let the figths brew and build. Do they mean like Gamboa and Juanma was supposed too?

This is boxing and people need to fight the best. Once that starts happening, the ratings and financial profits will go back up

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
            Then why is this model suffering and not prospering?

Outside of Mayweather and Pacquiao, boxing sucks right now?

PBC lost tons of money. HBO won't invest anymore. Showtimes ratings have suffered.

People keep saying let the figths brew and build. Do they mean like Gamboa and Juanma was supposed too?

This is boxing and people need to fight the best. Once that starts happening, the ratings and financial profits will go back up
            Because every entity in boxing doesn't care about the long term health of the sport. They are trying to pocket big bucks for themselves.

I agree with you, but that's how it is. Promoters look out for their own interests and it is in their best interest to keep their assets unbeaten as long as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP-;16969354[B
              ]Because every entity in boxing doesn't care about the long term health of the sport. They are trying to pocket big bucks for themselves. [/B]

I agree with you, but that's how it is. Promoters look out for their own interests and it is in their best interest to keep their assets unbeaten as long as possible.
              Yes and boxing as a whole is being held accountable for the match makers decisions

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
                Thurman vs Spence
                Broner vs Garcia
                Ortiz vs Joshua
                Joshua vs Wilder
                Wilder vs Fury
                Jacobs vs GGG
                Pacquiao vs Crawford
                Rigo vs Loma
                Canelo vs GGG
                Crawford vs Broner
                Canelo vs Andrade
                Beterbiev vs Stevenson
                Spence vs Garcia
                Spence vs Broner
                No more Floyd Mayweather business models
                Thurman vs Spence- Because Spence went the IBF route in order to face the Ring #1 rated welterweight

Broner vs Garcia- Broner just moved back up to welterweight and hasn't earned a shot at the WBC welterweight tilt

Ortiz vs Joshua- Ortiz is set to fight Ustinov for the WBA elminator and he'll get to fight the winner of Klitschko vs. Fury

Joshua vs Wilder- Wilder is out for the year after injuring his hand. He didn't fight Joshua before that because Wilder had a mandatory with Povetkin which ended up getting canceled

Wilder vs Fury- Fury has a rematch clause he has to fulfill.

Jacobs vs GGG-Bidness decisions

Pacquiao vs Crawford- Crawford is trying to unify 140. Pacquiao is a welterweight

Rigo vs Loma- Loma is two weight classes higher than Rigo. Rigo won't even move up one weight class.

Canelo vs GGG- Bidness decisions and Canelo has dropped down to 154

Crawford vs Broner- Crawford has an exclusive contract with HBO. HBO can't afford to pay Broner what the fight would fetch in an open competitive market.

Canelo vs Andrade- Canelo is fighting Liam Smith for the 154 lb title. Andrade doesn't have a title so Canelo isn't fighting him

Beterbiev vs Stevenson- Stevenson has a mandatory defense

Spence vs Garcia-See my first answer
                Spence vs Broner-See my first answer

I wish more of these guys would take the Floyd Mayweather business model and face tough competition and earn their way onto a PPV. Brone has done nothing to earn a PPV slot but people were mad he turned down Pacquiao.

Comment

I agree with everything you've said. I've never been a fan of building a fight. They're professionals. We don't hear any other sport (individual or team) saying, "let the (sporting event) build". I always despise these guys who repeat it. Canelo vs GGG didn't happen. Ward vs Kovalev might not happen. I always looked at it as a fighter getting a good solid payday and fans paying for a glorified sparring match. If the sport died or took a huge fall, a combination of everyone is to blame. Fans included! People pay to see these guy fight minimal opposition (over and over and over and over) and it's sad!

There is nothing beneficial about being a fan boy. There is nothing interesting about fans who sit around sucking one fighter off knowing d*mn well he needs to step up. They begin to repeat the same irrelevant reasons the promoters and fighters are saying.

For example...I read somewhere Garcia might be fighting Berto. What has Berto done to get a title shot? The guy hasn't won a big fight ever and he's easy to knockout. His chin might be one level better than Khans but Garcia, a guy who calls himself a champion, has put his name in the discussion to fight. Easy money! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                    Thurman vs Spence- Because Spence went the IBF route in order to face the Ring #1 rated welterweight

Broner vs Garcia- Broner just moved back up to welterweight and hasn't earned a shot at the WBC welterweight tilt

Ortiz vs Joshua- Ortiz is set to fight Ustinov for the WBA elminator and he'll get to fight the winner of Klitschko vs. Fury

Joshua vs Wilder- Wilder is out for the year after injuring his hand. He didn't fight Joshua before that because Wilder had a mandatory with Povetkin which ended up getting canceled

Wilder vs Fury- Fury has a rematch clause he has to fulfill.

Jacobs vs GGG-Bidness decisions

Pacquiao vs Crawford- Crawford is trying to unify 140. Pacquiao is a welterweight

Rigo vs Loma- Loma is two weight classes higher than Rigo. Rigo won't even move up one weight class.

Canelo vs GGG- Bidness decisions and Canelo has dropped down to 154

Crawford vs Broner- Crawford has an exclusive contract with HBO. HBO can't afford to pay Broner what the fight would fetch in an open competitive market.

Canelo vs Andrade- Canelo is fighting Liam Smith for the 154 lb title. Andrade doesn't have a title so Canelo isn't fighting him

Beterbiev vs Stevenson- Stevenson has a mandatory defense

Spence vs Garcia-See my first answer
                    Spence vs Broner-See my first answer

I wish more of these guys would take the Floyd Mayweather business model and face tough competition and earn their way onto a PPV. Brone has done nothing to earn a PPV slot but people were mad he turned down Pacquiao.

No, just no.

Do you really agree with the state of boxing right now? Do you agree with the excuses you just laid out?

Comment

Working...
                    X