No announcement yet.

RJJ vs. Hagler at 160lbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
    Again, he moved up to fight Toney in the same year he fought Tate. It was 1994, he was 25 at that point.

The MW version of Roy who fought Tate wasn't green.

That's the version of Roy I'd put into a fantasy fight against Marvin at MW.

He was a great fighter at 25.

I understand where you're coming from. Yes, he doesn't have lots of great wins at MW. But that didn't mean he wasn't a great fighter, that was just circumstances. He'd knocked out Malinga before he fought Tate. That was Roy at his peak.
    This is a good point...it would essentially be the version of roy who fought toney.

Comment

I got Roy Jones, Jr. Winning this one by unanimous decision on clean accurate punching. Roy would have been too fast, too strong and too big for Hagler.

All it would take is just a little subtle movement by Jones, to really confuse Hagler, because he was never good against boxers; Especially those who moved their feet. He couldn't cut off the ring. The only chance I would give Marvin against Jones, if Roy decided too settle down flat-footed, in front of him and not move.

However, If Vito Antuofermo drew with him and Sugar Ray Leonard outpointed him by way of split decision, then I can see Roy Jones doing a whole lot better against him than those two because of his overall physical ability.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        He improved greatly after the Hopkins fight (so did Hopkins btw) and I think he elevated from there so I can't argue with ya.
        Fair enough.

He hurt his hand against Bernard and he was apprehensive because it was his first big fight at 24. So he did improve after the fight.

In my opinion, his absolute peak was 94/95 when he fought from Tate to Vinny Paz. He was obviously great right up to Ruiz, but I would say 94/95 was him at his absolute best.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
          This is a good point...it would essentially be the version of roy who fought toney.
          Yeah. Same attributes, same mindset etc.

Comment

People keep forgetting that Hagler's frame in modern terms is that of JMW rather than MW (due to the change from the same day weigh-in to the next day). The size difference will be substantial in favor of Roy. And with his reflexes and power. I love and respect MMH, but I don't like his chances in this match-up.

Comment

Roy had a chin before the weight drop. He beats Hagler on points.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
                Fair enough...but if rjj didn't mive up to hw and then come back down and all of the sudden have a khan chin, there would be no frame of reference to assume roy couldn't take haglers power is all I'm saying. Roy was a little green at mw, but hagler himself had some less than impressive performances. It would depend on what version of hagler showed up i guess, but I'd take the bigger, faster and more athletic rjj by decision.
                very true. after beating up ruiz, rjj fell apart. it was crazy. tbh, im not really using rjj downfall to prop up haglers power. im just suggesting that maybe his chin was his weakness but was never exploited. hagler certainly did lay some eggs. again, imho, hagler probably would have needed a hail mary ko to win vs roy and i think he would have pulled it off.

athleticism vs tenacity

Comment

Marvin Hagler

Comment

Jones beats him..to much speed and agility

Comment

Working...
                    X