No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins took calculated risks, he is 1 of the most overrated modern ATG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    so Hopkins doesnt specializing in neutralizing come forward types?

His best performances are fighters with similar styles. common sense

people be in their feelngs too much on this site

his best wins are trinidad , pavlik, and other aggressive guys he struggles with boxers and athletic guys
    No, I think you're in your feelings.

Anyway, I agree that he struggles with more defensive-minded opponents. I wouldn't put Calzaghe, for instance, in that category. I really don't think you were following boxing then (that well) because you said the Jones rematch should've occurred during Hopkins prime and also implied he avoided a Calzaghe bout during that time too. Both are just way off. No need to overstate your point.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Sigh....

You're aware that at the time Joe Calzaghe was only the WBO Champion? At that point in time the WBO was barely even considered a legitimate sanctioning body.

Of course you aren't aware of this because you're clueless and likely not following the sport at that time.
      just be honest and admit you didnt follow calzaghe back then and move on...dont trash the guy because you know little about him or the guys he fought

I dont care about the belts. He was fighting better competition than anyone else at 168 and beat several world champions before the casuals fans knew who he was.....pre-lacy fight most american fans didnt even watch him fight

when tarver was in the olympics, Calzaghe was fighting for a world title. Dude been on the scene since the 90s

not my problem, im a boxing fan not a fan boy

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        No, I think you're in your feelings.

Anyway, I agree that he struggles with more defensive-minded opponents. I wouldn't put Calzaghe, for instance, in that category. I really don't think you were following boxing then (that well) because you said the Jones rematch should've occurred during Hopkins prime and also implied he avoided a Calzaghe bout during that time too. Both are just way off. No need to overstate your point.
        assume whatever you want, still doesnt change who and what fights I followed....if you didnt think much of calzaghe then cool....their are fighters today im not high on but others drool over. thats life

Calzaghe was a fast southpaw, with fast hands good chin, stylistic nightmare for hopkins

at the time only thing that was missing on his ledger was a scalp a big name star

Comment

• Hopkins fighting Calzaghe in 2006 would have been the most pointless fight in the history of boxing and every single one of us would have written it off as a cherry pick.

This revisionist history is absolutely laughable. Move up to fight for a title that wasn't even recognized as legitimate?

Pugilist contradicts himself time and time again, to suit his agenda. There is no consistency in his arguments.

1. Dude DESTROYS GGG time and time again, but is dick riding 2006 Joe Calzaghe?? Who held a worthless belt and beat NOBODY. Calzaghe's resume in 2006 makes GGG look like Harry Greb.

2. Then the dude swears by the lineal title. Hopkins jumped 2 WEIGHT CLASSES to win the lineal title. So now that is a calculated move because he could have taken more risk by winning an unrecognized alphabet belt against a guy nobody heard of?

Dude is of the rocker right now.

Comment

just be honest and admit you didnt follow calzaghe back then and move on...dont trash the guy because you know little about him or the guys he fought

I dont care about the belts. He was fighting better competition than anyone else at 168 and beat several world champions before the casuals fans knew who he was.....pre-lacy fight most american fans didnt even watch him fight

when tarver was in the olympics, Calzaghe was fighting for a world title. Dude been on the scene since the 90s

not my problem, im a boxing fan not a fan boy
            I followed Calzaghe's entire career sadly.

In 2006, he was a paper champion and completely unknown - Fact.

Antonio Tarver was the #1 at LHW and top 5 P4P - Fact.

There's no more to be said. If you attempt to say Calzaghe was a bigger risk or fight at the time you're either lying to yourself or weren't following the sport

Comment

he wasnt on YOUR radar....newsflash.....their are thousands of active boxers at any given time, just because you arent high on someone or heard of them doesnt mean other fans havent
              He wasn't on anyone's radar.

He was an unknown paper champion.

You're revising history.

Comment

assume whatever you want, still doesnt change who and what fights I followed....if you didnt think much of calzaghe then cool....their are fighters today im not high on but others drool over. thats life

Calzaghe was a fast southpaw, with fast hands good chin, stylistic nightmare for hopkins

at the time only thing that was missing on his ledger was a scalp a big name star
                No need to create an argument for me in order to have something to argue against. I never said I didn't think much of Calzaghe. So what are you talking about?

Comment

• Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                  Hopkins fighting Calzaghe in 2006 would have been the most pointless fight in the history of boxing and every single one of us would have written it off as a cherry pick.

This revisionist history is absolutely laughable. Move up to fight for a title that wasn't even recognized as legitimate?

Pugilist contradicts himself time and time again, to suit his agenda. There is no consistency in his arguments.

1. Dude DESTROYS GGG time and time again, but is dick riding 2006 Joe Calzaghe?? Who held a worthless belt and beat NOBODY. Calzaghe's resume in 2006 makes GGG look like Harry Greb.

2. Then the dude swears by the lineal title. Hopkins jumped 2 WEIGHT CLASSES to win the lineal title. So now that is a calculated move because he could have taken more risk by winning an unrecognized alphabet belt against a guy nobody heard of?

Dude is of the rocker right now.
                  ......so fighting an undefeated world champion, one weight class up is pointless....ok

you can flip it, dip it, how ever you want but I wanted to see Hopkins vs Calzaghe more than I wanted to see Tarver back then and thought it would be a better fight than Tarver, I wasnt very high on him because he was inconsistent...moving on

I was hoping Calzaghe would move up and fight Jones in the early 2000s, it never happened and they were only one weight class apart a long time. revisit that dumbazz

Calzaghe in 2006 has a better resume than GGG today and wasnt top 3 p4p at the time and wasnt on many people's pound for pound list

Calzaghe won his first world title in 1997, beating Chris Eubank

by 2006 he had wins over former champions robin reid, charles brewer, richie Woodhall, former lineal 168 champion Byron mitchell, in 2006 he beat Lacy and Sakio BIKA

Nice try.....you showed how bad GGG's resume is, when a so called paper champion who only fought in the UK and wasnt p4p top 5 still beat better competition than him by 2006, the year you asked about.

.GGG is a hypejob ...keep that hypejob out of this thread....Calzaghe, Hopkins actually won their titles in the ring and not board rooms

Comment

He wasn't on anyone's radar.

He was an unknown paper champion.

You're revising history.
                    you didnt follow him, admit it and move on.....tell me what Im revising? that I prefered he fight Calzaghe and his style was tougher for him than tarver? were they not one weight apart for years? Was calzaghe not a titleholder since 1997?

moving on bro, its not my fault you didnt know who calzaghe was in 2006 or before then

GGG is a paper champion, its not stopping people from drooling over him and wanting to see him fight people from 154-175....moving on

Comment

I followed Calzaghe's entire career sadly.

In 2006, he was a paper champion and completely unknown - Fact.

Antonio Tarver was the #1 at LHW and top 5 P4P - Fact.

There's no more to be said. If you attempt to say Calzaghe was a bigger risk or fight at the time you're either lying to yourself or weren't following the sport
                      no body with common sense would put Tarver top 5 p4p when he had one big win over jones over a washed up roy jones and lost to friggin glen johnson 3 fights prior to losing to Hopkins'

Johnson was no world beater, his claim to fame is beating a gun shy jones post tarver ko, and lost most of his other big fights, some close losses some clear.

come one dude, did magazines and message boards control your common sense? Just because ring magazine or who ever you read had this guy top 5 over one win doesnt mean everyone else thought that highly of him when it was fighters on the top longer in the sport still kicking butt.

ring magazine has GGG top 3 today, as does this site...i have a brain of my own...dude isnt proven enough to even be top 10 let alone anything top 5 when other fighters take risks and he doesnt

Comment

Working...
                      X