No announcement yet.

Reporter asks Danny Jacobs how much money he was offered to fight GGG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
    You're talking about how much Timothy Bradley is making. BRADLEY. One of the bigger names in the sport who won against Pacquiao. How much did Vargas make against Bradley? $600k. Rios got $800k against Bradley. Chaves? A laughable $35K. Why didn't you include these numbers? Bradley was a draw against guys who are making much less than a million, except for Rios and his 800k, so of course these are easily make-able fights since only one guy (Bradley) is making real money.

NONE of the examples you listed did both fighters make over $2m a piece. None. And yet you expect both fighters here to make over $2m a piece on a non-ppv quality fight.

And yeah, that's cool 8,000 people showed up to Jacobs vs Quillin in Brooklyn. Do you know what the ratings were? 386,000.
    “Per Nielsen, Sat’s Showtime telecast averaged only 248k viewers. Jacobs-Quillin avaged 386k (408k peak). But only 85-second fight. Cuellar-Oquendo co-feature on Showtime averaged only 221k viewers (peaked at 279k). Expensive card for very little return unfortunately,” Rafael said on his Twitter.

In hindsight, this all was predictable, because Jacobs and Quillin are not huge stars by any means. Jacobs is considered by the knowledgeable hardcore boxing fans to be the junior WBA champion to the serior champion Gennady Golovkin.

But Jacobs is suddenly a $2.5-$4m fighter? Pffft.

If HBO was handing out money like they did in the old days when boxing was more popular, then great, sure throw briefcases of cash at both Jacobs & Golovkin, whatever to make it happen. Everyone in this thread wants to see the fight. But that isn't reality in 2016. Neither network can afford what Jacobs would be asking and still have money to pay Golovkin. The only way to generate that kind of cash in PPV and this isn't a PPV quality fight, it would "flop".
    So how much should GGG get for the fight? And is it PPV worthy? Just curious.
    Last edited by Motorcity Cobra; 06-29-2016, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      Where are you getting that $5 million from? In my post I showed attendance and pay per fight with a pay raise as competition stepped up. You can't pull numbers based off feelings

Thurman vs. Porter at Barclays did a $1.1 mil gate and sold $12,718 at $86 a ticket

Lemieux vs. GGG did sold 20,548 and $2 mil gate avg $97 a ticket

Rigo vs Donaire at Radio City Music Hall did a gate of $400k with 5600 tickets sold avg $71 a ticket

Hopkins vs. Cloud at Barclays $611,974 and sold 9,377 tickets avg $72 a ticket

Garcia vs. Morales at Barclays sold 9,635 tickets and did $750k avg $77 a ticket

I didn't include Cotto because nobody sells in NY like Cotto so that wouldn't be a fair comparison.

Or they can take a chance and go to Vegas and see how GGG fares there. They haven't even taken a chance with GGG in Vegas yet.
      Combined guarantee of the main event fighters. That's what purse splits are based on.

GGG vs. Lemieux was $3.5 million
      Quillin vs. Jacobs was $3 million

I'm giving GGG/Jacobs the benefit of the doubt and saying its a $5 million fight because both of them are well known fighters in New York City. I'm probably being too generous.

Regardless, If you're saying Jacobs should be getting a $2.5-3 million purse, GGG would basically have to fight for free or accept being a B-side.

Comment

So I show an example of fighters getting paid more for taking tougher fights but Jacobs should get paid less for taking a tougher fight? And those guys have horrible attendance compared to Jacobs. You make absolutely no sense at all.
        again, the flaw in your logic is that you are using the Quillin purse as some sort of benchmark for what Jacobs value is. Nobody is going to take a bath on an event like Haymon did. Jacobs vs Quillin, both guys from Brooklyn, and even with a local undercard only drew a little over 8,000, including god knows how many comps, but somehow $1.5 is Jacobs new baseline because 1 person was stupid enough to give him that?

Lets see what his purse is for Mora. I'll bet you $100 that its less than a million.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
          Combined guarantee of the main event fighters. That's what purse splits are based on.

GGG vs. Lemieux was $3.5 million
          Quillin vs. Jacobs was $3 million

I'm giving GGG/Jacobs the benefit of the doubt and saying its a $5 million fight because both of them are well known fighters in New York City. I'm probably being too generous.

Regardless, If you're saying Jacobs should be getting a $2.5-3 million purse, GGG would basically have to fight for free or accept being a B-side.
          So once again I'm asking you where (other than feelings) are you getting $5 million total revenue from? That means PPV/international broadcast, merchandising, sponsors and gate would equal $5 mil total? Jacobs is known in NY, Lemieux could walk down the street without being bothered.

If you don't feel the fight is PPV worthy then why push it now? It's obvious they can't pay Jacobs what he's worth ($1 mil is not a serious offer). The only way to pay what the fight is worth is PPV

Comment

So once again I'm asking you where (other than feelings) are you getting $5 million total revenue from? That means PPV/international broadcast, merchandising, sponsors and gate would equal $5 mil total? Jacobs is known in NY, Lemieux could walk down the street without being bothered.

If you don't feel the fight is PPV worthy then why push it now? It's obvious they can't pay Jacobs what he's worth ($1 mil is not a serious offer). The only way to pay what the fight is worth is PPV
            $5 million isn't total revenue. It's total combined purses of the main event fighters like I said in my previous post.

Comment

no, whats "obvious" is that you, and Team Jacobs, have an over-inflated sense of what Jacobs is worth in the free market (not inside the PBC bubble where its ok to lose hundreds of millions of other peoples dollars, but out in the REAL world)

Comment

So how much should GGG get for the fight? And is it PPV worthy? Just curious.
                Well since Golovkin is WBA Champion and Jacobs WBA mandatory, Golovkin deserves more money and he is the bigger name, the top guy in the division, which Jacobs admits as well in his recent interviews.

My personal opinion is different from reality. My personal opinion is that Golovkin should make $1.5m and Jacobs $1m on regular HBO. I don't think it's worth a lot more than that. But that's just me.

If Golovkin vs Lemieux did 150k on PPV, Golovkin vs Jacobs would be about the same give or take. So no, I don't think this is a PPV quality fight at all. I think it's a great fight as far as boxing goes and the middleweight division goes. I think it's probably the best fight that Golovkin can make at 160 besides Canelo. I think Jacobs is talented fighter and would be a good test for Golovkin which would turn out to be an entertaining fight.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                  again, the flaw in your logic is that you are using the Quillin purse as some sort of benchmark for what Jacobs value is. Nobody is going to take a bath on an event like Haymon did. Jacobs vs Quillin, both guys from Brooklyn, and even with a local undercard only drew a little over 8,000, including god knows how many comps, but somehow $1.5 is Jacobs new baseline because 1 person was stupid enough to give him that?

Lets see what his purse is for Mora. I'll bet you $100 that its less than a million.
                  But you ignored Bradley. Bradley sells worse than Jacobs and got $1.5 for Chaves fighting in a bar in Vegas. But everytime he steps up in competition as the B-side his purse increases

Lomachenko got paid more as a undercard as Jacobs did as an undercard. He stepped up in competition for a title as the main even and got a pay increase. And the show sold like ****. Everybody takes a pay increase when they step up in competition as the main event. Offering Jacobs $1-$1.5 mil is laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                    Well since Golovkin is WBA Champion and Jacobs WBA mandatory, Golovkin deserves more money and he is the bigger name, the top guy in the division, which Jacobs admits as well in his recent interviews.

My personal opinion is different from reality. My personal opinion is that Golovkin should make $1.5m and Jacobs $1m on regular HBO. I don't think it's worth a lot more than that. But that's just me.

If Golovkin vs Lemieux did 150k on PPV, Golovkin vs Jacobs would be about the same give or take. So no, I don't think this is a PPV quality fight at all. I think it's a great fight as far as boxing goes and the middleweight division goes. I think it's probably the best fight that Golovkin can make at 160 besides Canelo. I think Jacobs is talented fighter and would be a good test for Golovkin which would turn out to be an entertaining fight.
                    This is why people end up on my ignore list and they wonder why I stopped responding

LEMIEUX FOUGHT ON FOX SPORT 2 ( yes there is a fox sports 2) THE FIGHT PRIOR TO GOLOVKIN AND PULLED IN LESS THAN 150,000 VIEWERS!!!!

http://www.boxingscene.com/ratings-t...int_friendly=1

Jacobs 10x's more known than Lemieux was when that fight got signed. You want to quote Jacobs numbers but quote Lemieux numbers that earned him $1.5 mil
                    Last edited by Motorcity Cobra; 06-29-2016, 01:33 PM.

Comment

If you don't feel the fight is PPV worthy then why push it now?
                      Why? Because it will likely never be a PPV worthy fight.
                      Why? Because Gamboa vs Lopez

It's obvious they can't pay Jacobs what he's worth ($1 mil is not a serious offer). The only way to pay what the fight is worth is PPV
                      OK so Jacobs will go on fighting the Mora's of the world for $500k and he's fine with that. I'm sure HBO would be willing to pay him $1.5m maybe $2m, the problem is Jacobs uses the Quillin $1.5 as his benchmark and says "well, Golovkin is a lot better than Quillin therefor I deserve a lot more!" which of course goes back to the whole "why Haymon overpaying his fighters is a bad thing" debate, you know, like how Leo Santa Cruz wanted at least $3 million to fight Rigondeaux because he already was making a million beating up bums so in his mind, Rigo was 5x better than the bums he was beating therefor he deserved at least triple what he was already making!

Comment

Working...
                      X