No announcement yet.

Reporter asks Danny Jacobs how much money he was offered to fight GGG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
    hahahahaha all of your examples are reasons why Jacobs would NOT get $2.5-$3m you bonehead.

How is NSB this dumb?
    So I show an example of fighters getting paid more for taking tougher fights but Jacobs should get paid less for taking a tougher fight? And those guys have horrible attendance compared to Jacobs. You make absolutely no sense at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
      so, if jacobs deserves at least 2.5/3 million dollars, how much does GGG deserve? i mean, GGG is the champion, and the star of the show. plus. where does this money come from? does it grow in trees? if that's the case, where can i get one of this trees? i have a big backyard and i would love to plant one of those
      Hey, no one is talking about what Golovkin would get because obviously that doesn't fit OPs argument!

If Jacobs got $3m, then Golovkin would have to get at least $4m-5m. HBO is going to pay $7m-8m just for the main event purse alone, not including site fees, undercard, promotion, etc.? Yeah, that will ****ing happen lol. So then it would go on PPV and sell what, 150-200k at absolute best? Sure!!

Jacobs can get another $500k from Mora and that's perfectly fine though. But suddenly he's worth $4 million in a non-pvv quality fight for Golovkin. NSB -Non Stop Bull****

Comment

Jacobs and BJS should face eachother. Get another good win under their belt, raise their stock, get a buzz about them or something. Then maybe they will get a bigger pay day in future fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
          So I show an example of fighters getting paid more for taking tougher fights but Jacobs should get paid less for taking a tougher fight? And those guys have horrible attendance compared to Jacobs. You make absolutely no sense at all.
          You're talking about how much Timothy Bradley is making. BRADLEY. One of the bigger names in the sport who won against Pacquiao. How much did Vargas make against Bradley? $600k. Rios got $800k against Bradley. Chaves? A laughable $35K. Why didn't you include these numbers? Bradley was a draw against guys who are making much less than a million, except for Rios and his 800k, so of course these are easily make-able fights since only one guy (Bradley) is making real money.

NONE of the examples you listed did both fighters make over $2m a piece. None. And yet you expect both fighters here to make over $2m a piece on a non-ppv quality fight.

And yeah, that's cool 8,000 people showed up to Jacobs vs Quillin in Brooklyn. Do you know what the ratings were? 386,000.
          “Per Nielsen, Sat’s Showtime telecast averaged only 248k viewers. Jacobs-Quillin avaged 386k (408k peak). But only 85-second fight. Cuellar-Oquendo co-feature on Showtime averaged only 221k viewers (peaked at 279k). Expensive card for very little return unfortunately,” Rafael said on his Twitter.

In hindsight, this all was predictable, because Jacobs and Quillin are not huge stars by any means. Jacobs is considered by the knowledgeable hardcore boxing fans to be the junior WBA champion to the serior champion Gennady Golovkin.

But Jacobs is suddenly a $2.5-$4m fighter? Pffft.

If HBO was handing out money like they did in the old days when boxing was more popular, then great, sure throw briefcases of cash at both Jacobs & Golovkin, whatever to make it happen. Everyone in this thread wants to see the fight. But that isn't reality in 2016. Neither network can afford what Jacobs would be asking and still have money to pay Golovkin. The only way to generate that kind of cash in PPV and this isn't a PPV quality fight, it would "flop".

Comment

Serious question, who could Danny Jacobs face that would be a bigger purse than GGG? If there are bigger purses out there than no one can really blame Jacobs for that but if hes taking lesser money for guys he could easily lose to as well, than theres really no excuse. Honestly I have been one of the biggest GGG haters on this site but as time goes on and the arguments over weight and $ continue to block the path of someone that at least has the intention of unifying 1 division, I may stop hating him as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
              Serious question, who could Danny Jacobs face that would be a bigger purse than GGG? If there are bigger purses out there than no one can really blame Jacobs for that but if hes taking lesser money for guys he could easily lose to as well, than theres really no excuse. Honestly I have been one of the biggest GGG haters on this site but as time goes on and the arguments over weight and $ continue to block the path of someone that at least has the intention of unifying 1 division, I may stop hating him as much.
              Only Canelo, which obviously isn't happening.

I don't think he can match his $1.5m purse he got from Quillin from anyone anytime soon either. Maybe if he goes to the UK for someone (not Saunders, he isn't a draw). Maybe he'd get a million against Lemieux idk.

Comment

I don't think he can match his $1.5m purse he got from Quillin from anyone anytime soon either. Maybe if he goes to the UK for someone (not Saunders, he isn't a draw). Maybe he'd get a million against Lemieux idk.
                True, the Brits pay well for their fighters but you have to go to them and so do the Canadians but traveling applies there too. In all reality, the WBA needs to do away with this regular title. If Jacobs didnt even have it he'd have no negotiating power whatsoever, hell he might only be an honorable mention as an opponent.

Comment

I don't think Hoya would want to work with Haymon any time soon. The reverse can also be assumed.

A rematch with Quillin is probably more sensible.

Comment

Originally posted by JQside View Post
                    I don't think Hoya would want to work with Haymon any time soon. The reverse can also be assumed.
                    Yeah I would seriously doubt that too myself I'm just trying to throw out names that could possibly get Jacobs real good money and those are the only names that come up.

A rematch with Quillin is probably more sensible.
                    Yep and Quillin's purse would be a lot less. IDK, Quillin could be moving to 168 and he looked fat in that beach party pic that was posted a few days ago. If that fight happens it's going to be like mid to late 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                      Call it a $5 million fight. That's generous. GGG vs Lemieux was $3.5 million and it broke even. I'm assuming Jacobs being from the US and a Brooklyn native will make this a bigger fight in NYC.

WBA rules are 75/25 for Super champion vs regular champion (glorified mandatory)

That gives Jacobs a value of $1.25M. Should he win and become champion, he will become more valuable because the 75% will be his.

This is the way it's supposed to work. But instead, you have divas crying because they want more than what they generate.
                      Where are you getting that $5 million from? In my post I showed attendance and pay per fight with a pay raise as competition stepped up. You can't pull numbers based off feelings

Thurman vs. Porter at Barclays did a $1.1 mil gate and sold $12,718 at $86 a ticket

Lemieux vs. GGG did sold 20,548 and $2 mil gate avg $97 a ticket

Rigo vs Donaire at Radio City Music Hall did a gate of $400k with 5600 tickets sold avg $71 a ticket

Hopkins vs. Cloud at Barclays $611,974 and sold 9,377 tickets avg $72 a ticket

Garcia vs. Morales at Barclays sold 9,635 tickets and did $750k avg $77 a ticket

I didn't include Cotto because nobody sells in NY like Cotto so that wouldn't be a fair comparison.

Or they can take a chance and go to Vegas and see how GGG fares there. They haven't even taken a chance with GGG in Vegas yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X