Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does Porter have Such Horrible Technique???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It takes a really high intensity level and athleticism for a high-energy swarmer to keep up technique. Tyson was a rare athlete and they can't all look like him doing it. And even to be a strong swarmer with less body movement like Golovkin takes a lot of athleticism balance and strength. It's a harder style to master and look good doing it athleticism-wise than a traditional boxer I believe.

But if he wants to elevate his game he should find a new trainer and work on it I think. I'd like to see him with a Virgil Hunter, Teddy Atlas or Abel Sanchez.

Comment

1 star thread. Hes a pressure fighter. He goes to fight not dance. deal with it

Comment

I can't stand watching Porter fight. It makes me want to puke, it's that ugly.

Yeah yeah, some of you guys are like, "but it's effective and he's made it this far in the pros!" Doesn't mean I got to like him. His little herky jerky stutter step thing too, makes bile taste sweet. Ugh!

Comment

Dang Mayweather set a really high standard for the WW division. Its like there can only be one style or its considered ugly. Like others have pointed out, its just a style, it was pretty effective against Thurman and everyone else he has faced. The only losses and draw he has had couldve gone either way. The only thing I can really see is that Porter doesnt do well is jab his way in and out. A good stiff jab would help improve his footwork and not allow his opponents to move out laterally especially if he jabs to the chest/body.

Comment

im sorry but that **** ****** hug they are doing has to stop.

it has to.

it dont look right.

and stop excusing poor punching technique as his "style" lmfaaoooo

Comment

It's because he hasn't been coached properly. He needs to work on the fundamentals of the sweet science rather than style. He needs a good boxing coach who can teach him that. However at this point, I don't think that he can change. He is what he is.

One of his biggest mechanical flaw is, unless your opponents are a lot smaller and can't hit, then you don't start bum rushing and swarming them with wide wild punches that they could see coming from a mile away; While leaving your chin exposed while standing erect.

If Thurman would showed just a bit more patience with his boxing skills, then he could have easily set him up for a huge counter that could've ended the fight and the night for Shawn Porter.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleto_Reyes View Post
                1 star thread. Hes a pressure fighter. He goes to fight not dance. deal with it
                you can still be a pressure fighter and have technique.

punching technique is punching technique no matter what your style is.

absolutely absurd post.

Comment

He has some speed with his punches and closing the gap, but he comes straight in. So he can get timed

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Archer View Post
                    Yet this guy has been boxing for how long now?

I was watching that fight and cant help but notice how crappy and amateurish Porter's punching technique looked. His offensive rushes looked straight garbage.

You would think a guy that's been in the game for awhile and has had that much repetition put in would have a little better punching technique.
                    I say the same exact thing and Thurman barely beat him maybe

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Archer View Post
                      technique is technique.

i dont think you can just excuse that technique do to aggressiveness.

plenty of aggressive offensive fighters keep their punching technique crisp and clean.

porter looks like he has a low ceiling talent wise. strong mandingo body, amazing fighting spirit tho and that can overcome poor technique sometimes...

not a good look for thurman's potential to have struggled with a fighter like porter.

i put too much stock in his musical ability and bone thugs n harmony hair.
                      Thurman barely won
                      Last edited by nacho daddy; 06-28-2016, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X