Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Thurman Warns: Stop Protecting Your Record Like Mayweather!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
    And???
    Canelo fought Trout at 154 just before Floyd.

He wasn't used to make 152 anymore and the fact is it was a clear advantage for Floyd.

Maybe Canelo offered the CW, not surprising, it's a proof on how they saw Mayweather "look we gonna offer a CW otherwise this puto won't fight us" LOOL

Just have a look to ring mag 2006 ranking :

Floyd Mayweather Jr., Champion
    1. Antonio Margarito
    2. Carlos Manuel Baldomir
    3. Miguel Cotto
    4. Zab Judah
    5. Luis Collazo
    6. Kermit Cintron
    7. Oktay Urkal
    8. Arturo Gatti
    9. Paul Williams
    10. Joshua Clottey

I can understand Fatton is easier money, but you can't have it both ways.
    Oscar was a good challenge, no problem.

[/B]

Ignoring Floyd's cherry picking is delusionnal.

Duran is a man who never ducked a fighter, and Bob Duran would never say "why should I fight Hagler? he needs to move up and proves he can beat a light HW".

Pacquiao himself took more challenges IMO.

Floyd protected is 0 and avoided fights he could lose.

Agree to disagree.

Boxing is a sport and a business, Floyd made the right business moves, AGREED, but not the right sport moves IMO.

He made a choice, as I said to our other friend, he never really fought a great fighter in his prime despite behind 20 years in the sport.

I would never say Floyd is a coward, he isn't, he has more balls than any of us.
    But he knew his limits, and avoided waters where his limits could be harshly tested.
    How is 152 a clear advantage for Floyd? Floyd still came in lighter and Canelo had the weight advantage on the night of the fight. Canelo weighed 153 when he fought Trout not 154. So he only had to weigh a pound less when he fought Mayweather. How many advantages do Floyd's opponents need in order for you guys to consider it fair? It wasn't enough that Canelo was 13 years younger, more active, and still came in heavier? He also needed an extra 2 pounds to beat an old man with little hands?

The ring magazine rankings is not an official ranking of champions. I've seen rankings that had Baldomir ahead of Margarito at the time and even when Floyd was about to fight to Zab people kept asking him why he wouldn't fight Baldomir since he beat Zab.
    There is an interview with Brian Kenny in 2006 where Kenny states Baldomir was the man to face at the time and he makes no mention of Margarito. Margarito's biggest win was Cotto and that win has a huge asterisk over it due to handwrap scandal.

The term "cherrypicking" was created for guys who fought no names, cab drivers, and part time boxers just to pad their records. It wasn't used for fighting title holders. How can Floyd face more title holders than any fighter around his weight class for the past 20 years and be considered a cherry picker?

Manny took more risks yet fought less title fights, didn't defend in several of the divisions he fought in and didn't unify any division?

Comment

OK lol. I am a big fan of One Time and I know he is just talking junk. I find it amusing when people say "Floyd was just protecting his 0". Some major opponents with records at the time:

Marquez (50-4 HOF)
      Cotto (37-2 HOF)
      Pacquiao (57-5 HOF)
      Mosley (46-5 HOF)
      Canelo (was 42-0)
      ODLH (38-4 HOF)
      Hatton (was 43-0)
      Corrales (was 33-0)
      Maidana (35-3)
      Judah (34-3)

Yep sure looks like a list of "real bums of the month" huh? Just these opponents had a combined record of 415 - 21. And almost each one was a washout/clinic as well. So many ignorant, hating idiots out there...just keep on living in your dream worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
        I'm not a huge Floyd fan but how can people say he protected his record. The guy fought Cotto, Marquez, Pacquiao, Canelo, Corrales, De La Hoya, Mosley, Judah, and the list goes on and on and on. Yeah fair enough some of them weren't prime, but it's logistically impossible to get everyone in their primes due to timing, popularity/business and age.
        Lmao
        Dude

Literally 2 people only for in their prime on your list

Infact more were part time fighters

Comment

lol....come on Thurman

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
            And???
            Canelo fought Trout at 154 just before Floyd.

He wasn't used to make 152 anymore and the fact is it was a clear advantage for Floyd.

Maybe Canelo offered the CW, not surprising, it's a proof on how they saw Mayweather "look we gonna offer a CW otherwise this puto won't fight us" LOOL

Just have a look to ring mag 2006 ranking :

Floyd Mayweather Jr., Champion
            1. Antonio Margarito
            2. Carlos Manuel Baldomir
            3. Miguel Cotto
            4. Zab Judah
            5. Luis Collazo
            6. Kermit Cintron
            7. Oktay Urkal
            8. Arturo Gatti
            9. Paul Williams
            10. Joshua Clottey

I can understand Fatton is easier money, but you can't have it both ways.
            Oscar was a good challenge, no problem.

[/B]

Ignoring Floyd's cherry picking is delusionnal.

Duran is a man who never ducked a fighter, and Bob Duran would never say "why should I fight Hagler? he needs to move up and proves he can beat a light HW".

Pacquiao himself took more challenges IMO.

Floyd protected is 0 and avoided fights he could lose.

Agree to disagree.

Boxing is a sport and a business, Floyd made the right business moves, AGREED, but not the right sport moves IMO.

He made a choice, as I said to our other friend, he never really fought a great fighter in his prime despite behind 20 years in the sport.

I would never say Floyd is a coward, he isn't, he has more balls than any of us.
            But he knew his limits, and avoided waters where his limits could be harshly tested.
            So Mayweather protected his "0" in 2006 by fighting 2 of the top 4 Welterweights and current World Champions: Judah and Baldomir? So Mayweather was supposed to pass up fighting De La Hoya, the PPV crown, over $25 million dollars and a 5th Divisional title to fight Antonio Margarito?

Stop the stupidity.

Comment

If you truly want to become that next big superstar in boxing, trash talking is needed but also fans want to see a guy who is truly willing to fight any and everybody

Lets see if Thurman can back his talk up, if he can then Thurman could very well be that next star. He is a great interview would make a great Ambassador for the sport. Beating Porter impressively then next fight should be vs winner of Vargas vs Kell Brook or Danny Garcia!

Comment

Even current Floyd would shut Thurman out.

Comment

Watch Thurman fight like Mayweather and get on his bike vs Porter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
                    Watch Thurman fight like Mayweather and get on his bike vs Porter.
                    He won't be running. Not in this fight. He will be clinching. Maybe in his next fights he will.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha & Omega View Post
                      OK lol. I am a big fan of One Time and I know he is just talking junk. I find it amusing when people say "Floyd was just protecting his 0". Some major opponents with records at the time:

Marquez (50-4 HOF)
                      Cotto (37-2 HOF)
                      Pacquiao (57-5 HOF)
                      Mosley (46-5 HOF)
                      Canelo (was 42-0)
                      ODLH (38-4 HOF)
                      Hatton (was 43-0)
                      Corrales (was 33-0)
                      Maidana (35-3)
                      Judah (34-3)

Yep sure looks like a list of "real bums of the month" huh? Just these opponents had a combined record of 415 - 21. And almost each one was a washout/clinic as well. So many ignorant, hating idiots out there...just keep on living in your dream worlds.
                      All the fighters you named were over the hill except the following 4 fighters Judah, Corrales, Maidana and Hatton.
                      Well, not really the "fabulous four" to be fair.

He fought Nelo at 152 and I sht on CW fights.

Obviously Floyd still was impressive shutting those guys out.

And I always said he was the best P4P fighter in our era.

But what Thurmann said about Floyd protecting his 0 is right.
                      Floyd said it himself "safety first".

Not even saying it was Floyd fault but he should have fought Cotto, Mosley and Pacquiao before.

Comment

Working...
                      X