Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is white guilt or racism in the sport denying GGG his chance at history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eco1 View Post
    well, North americans call Hispanics "latinos" so that is how f lost in space they are.
    Huh? You do know Spanish is a Latin language?

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      Hopkins was criticized at the time for ruling a weak middleweight division. Just like Golovkin is. We'll see if Golovkin ever gets the chance, then takes advantage of the chance, that Hopkins eventually did.

If Abel Sanchez and everyone else around Golovkin would shut the **** up and let him focus on middleweight, the hate wouldn't be so bad. Instead they always say stupid, hypocritical stuff that deserves to be called out.
      Abel is doing a great job of publicising Golovkin and getting him talked about by main stream sports and casual boxing fans.

Nobody actually hates a boxer because his trainer bigs him up in interviews. There are a few people who hate Golovkin for their own personal reasons, and they would hate him just as much whoever his trainer was.

To answer the OP's question, no, racism and white guilt are not hindering GGG's career. the fighters who ducked and are still ducking him are what's hindering his career.

Racism and white guilt may be behind a lot of the hatred he gets at this forum, and that's annoying to his fans, but it isn't having any effect on his career.

Comment

I'd say it was a lack of significant rivals but then..I'm just a boxing fan.

Comment

It's his career and his decision and his alone. Fuc all these fans telling him what he should do.They want to get him beat by a bigger man because no 160 pounder in the world can beat him. If he stays at his correct and natural fighting weight of 160 pounds until the day he retires and never fights an ounce higher I'm fine with that. That's what Pryor, Hagler, Monzon, and many other all time great fighters did and nobody complained that they never fought above their best weight.

Comment

Originally posted by ukbox View Post
            GGG is a 160 fighter. There's no doubt he'll move up in weight in the future.
            Is there too much pressure on ggg to vacate and go to a higher weight class?

It's no secret Canelo's daddy wants to break hopkins mw record.
            There seems to be a lot of focus on who Canelo's master faces next. It's not for the want of trying. For years GGG has chased the big names and has been avoided.
            Hopkins is a great but out of his 20 defences how many atg 160 fighters did he face? And how much of that was era based

Why the double standards for the Kazakhstan killer?

I'd like G to move up too but u give him time to unify & make some defences. It's inevitable he will face some pish opposition but that's boxing & not for the want of trying.

As for the ward challenge, the only thing his detractors have to cling to...he's taking his time with Kovalev and is easing into his new weight class

So why the double standards for ggg? Anybody believe he's ducking ****enlo or Saunders?

Fella's got a lot of people shook. It's at the point where nobody thinks he has challenge at 168 fellas gotta jump 15 pounds for a proper fight.
            That in itself is an atg in the making
            Honestly, I think most true boxing fans of Latino and African American (decent or ethnicity) would agree, a guy like GGG is GREAT for the sport of boxing. He knocks people out, hes undefeated, he wants to unify a division, he is promoted by a neutral promoter, strong amateur background, trains like a beast, and he has skill. What I think most of us "minorities" can agree on is although GGG himself isn't a racist there is a perceived sense of racism amongst his fans which bothers the hell out of me at least. I can't help but notice how GGG fans love for GGG to beat up "the athletic black guy" or to punk "the Mexican Warrior" like there has never been an athletic black dude that would school ggg or a Mexican that wouldn't want to fight him. Canelo doesn't define Mexico or Mexican boxing and Dominic Wade & Willie Monroe dont define what great AA fighters have done in the MW division distant and current past. Sure GGG is a hot commodity right now and he maybe for a while but 2 discredit ethnic legacies in boxing of 2 ethnic groups that helped mold the sport because of 1 man is farfetched in fact is downright cowardly. And thats what most GGG fans on this site at least do. Its no different than posters wanting a MMArtist to beat up Floyd Mayweather. Personally I picture GGG fans like the nerds that were beat up in HS that finally found a cornfed dude to finally stand up to the bully and take it as their victory. And the funny thing is, GGG is part Korean. Its no wonder theres the phrase in boxing "the great white hope" for the reasons I stated. Lastly, the whole "Mexican style" is very patronizing. He does little or nothing for Raza by stating that BS, I wish an old Brown Beret would slap Abel Sanchez for that crap...
            Last edited by WarVeteranO01; 06-03-2016, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
              they said GGG wasnt asian doe....bwahahahahahahahaha....the great whi....i mean eur-Asian hope......

gotta love americans who love this guy who think he is caucasian/european....never knew an asian guy with two asian parents and asian citizenship be considered white/european

Golovkin's dad was Russian, as a matter of fact.

And now I'm curious, it's obviously a big deal to you, but do you think the average American GGG fan cares whether he's white or Asian?

I mean, if Golovkin's mum had been Russian, and his dad had been Korean, instead of the other way round, and his name was Gong Gyon Guh, or whatever, do you think he would be less popular with American fans than he is now?

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                you become an all time great by who you beat, not who so called ducked you. None of us work for K2 or the opposing fighters promo companies or managers so that ducking excuse is null and void. I admit a few have ducked him just as his team feel certain fighters arent worth fighting. it goes both ways.

K2 is denying him history by "chasing after belts"

2/3 of the belts he has were handed to him

Lara is a draw but he ends up fighting monroe, Wade in the past year.

his promoters putting their foot in their mouth and Sanchez talking out of his azz is hurting him

dude is almost 35...step on the gas, stop protecting GGG and take a risk already.
                Look at what your sig says...

Then realize that you just said that "Lara is a draw"

That's all anybody needs to know about you and your opinions/biases.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                  Haha

He just came up at an unfortunate time. Numerous guys have been OK with ducking and that's sort of the era right now. He also suffered from terrible management in Germany that wasted some years chasing Felix Sturm. One duck on to the next. Also just pure bad luck - Dmitry Pirog pulling out due to injury, Chavez jr backing out due to dispute with Top Rank. Carl Froch retiring. Andy Lee fight being scrapped due to poppa GGG dying. Unfortunate circumstances on top of guys not wanting to fight him (Sturm, Ndam, Mundine, Quillin, Cotto, Canelo, et al). It is what it is. He certainly isn't the first nor the last to be avoided, although the Canelo/lineal situation is certainly unique.
                  The problem GGG had in Germany was that he and Sturm were with the same promoter, Universum Box Promotion, and UBP considered Sturm to be a bigger draw than GGG, so they did everything they could to protect him from having to defend his WBA world title against Golovkin.

When GGG was made mandatory for Sturm, UBP paid the WBA to reintroduce the "Super" title at MW and elevate Sturm to Super champion, so he didn't have to defend against Golovkin. There had been no Super WBA MW title for 4 years till then.
                  Last edited by kafkod; 06-03-2016, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                    Haha

He just came up at an unfortunate time. Numerous guys have been OK with ducking and that's sort of the era right now. He also suffered from terrible management in Germany that wasted some years chasing Felix Sturm. One duck on to the next. Also just pure bad luck - Dmitry Pirog pulling out due to injury, Chavez jr backing out due to dispute with Top Rank. Carl Froch retiring. Andy Lee fight being scrapped due to poppa GGG dying. Unfortunate circumstances on top of guys not wanting to fight him (Sturm, Ndam, Mundine, Quillin, Cotto, Canelo, et al). It is what it is. He certainly isn't the first nor the last to be avoided, although the Canelo/lineal situation is certainly unique.
                    So move up...

Comment

I have a dream that one day this forum will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

Comment

Working...
                      X