Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Fernando Vargas take enough punishment from Tito Trinidad to KO 10 men?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this fight ruined Vargas

he was nearing his prime. He had enough will and skill to beat elite 147-154 guys like Quartey, Marquez and Winky Wright but he was a youNG potential great in there with a legitimate all time great in his prime.

Vargas took enough punishment to have 5-10 opponents stopped depending on their toughness

the kid had no quit in him and after this fight and DLH he was never the same.

Had he learned how to defend the left hook a little better and learned when to clinch and win to stand his ground, he could have been one of the greatest junior middleweights of all time.

He did lose to 3 hall of famers and one world champion Mayorga...thats nothing to be ashamed of.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      this fight ruined Vargas

he was nearing his prime. He had enough will and skill to beat elite 147-154 guys like Quartey, Marquez and Winky Wright but he was a youNG potential great in there with a legitimate all time great in his prime.

Vargas took enough punishment to have 5-10 opponents stopped depending on their toughness

the kid had no quit in him and after this fight and DLH he was never the same.

Had he learned how to defend the left hook a little better and learned when to clinch and win to stand his ground, he could have been one of the greatest junior middleweights of all time.

He did lose to 3 hall of famers and one world champion Mayorga...thats nothing to be ashamed of.
      Damn, that's crazy. Vargas was a tough mofo.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
        All I know is it ruined him had that fight not happened there's no way Delahoya or Mosley would have beat him
        Trinidad said the same thing.

Comment

Idk about ten guys, but for sure Vargas was a tough mfer. And probably too bold for his own good too. I mean how many guys are even fighting a guy like Tito so early in their career? Not many thats for sure.

Vargas was for sure one of my favorite guys to watch when he was active for those reasons. Shorter career than he might have had, but he's remembered better than most. I wish more guys would come in, burn hot & get out like Vargas.

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
            LOL who cares he is a Drug user who tried to cheat his way to a win, he gets no props whatsoever
            Do you feel the same way For Mosley, Mayweather, Holyfield, Toney ?

Comment

Originally posted by punchr View Post
              Damn, that's crazy. Vargas was a tough mofo.
              the first few rounds, Vargas got hit with left hooks that would have stopped most fighters...he got dropped a few times and actually started to come back...then tito does the low blow crap.

Vargas never had a chin problem and wasnt being hurt or dropped until he fought trinidad...most people dont realize this....he was just fine in their with solid punchers like Raul Marquez, winky wright, yori boy campos, and Quartey

I honestly believe the beating he took in this fight, affected his punch resistance forever. He goes on to be stopped by Mosley 2x, and De La Hoya but both are ATG. I knew he was shot and it was over when he couldnt get by Mayorga. He literally had no movement. His back was shot and he couldnt slip, and counter as well and his balance sucked.

It was sad to see a guy so young(I was 11 when he fought in the olympics and he was a teen too) be washed up before his late 20s.

Thank you felix....i dont want to accuse of him of anything, but the way Fernando was reacting when he got hit flush was not normal. Nor was the way Joppy got knocked the **** out and that guy had a solid chin. All credit to trinidad. He had good power, speed and delivery on his shots.

whatever come out of the hand wrap debacle years ago?

Comment

Trinidad not only beat him that night he also took his soul...very similar to the beating that Davey Moore suffered at the hands of Roberto Duran ..that's a loss that you know no matter how good you are you cannot beat him ...Trinidad took his soul

Comment

I ran the numbers and Vargas did infact take enough punishment to KO 10 men of average adult height and 21 adult male midgets.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                    the first few rounds, Vargas got hit with left hooks that would have stopped most fighters...he got dropped a few times and actually started to come back...then tito does the low blow crap.

Vargas never had a chin problem and wasnt being hurt or dropped until he fought trinidad...most people dont realize this....he was just fine in their with solid punchers like Raul Marquez, winky wright, yori boy campos, and Quartey

I honestly believe the beating he took in this fight, affected his punch resistance forever. He goes on to be stopped by Mosley 2x, and De La Hoya but both are ATG. I knew he was shot and it was over when he couldnt get by Mayorga. He literally had no movement. His back was shot and he couldnt slip, and counter as well and his balance sucked.

It was sad to see a guy so young(I was 11 when he fought in the olympics and he was a teen too) be washed up before his late 20s.

Thank you felix....i dont want to accuse of him of anything, but the way Fernando was reacting when he got hit flush was not normal. Nor was the way Joppy got knocked the **** out and that guy had a solid chin. All credit to trinidad. He had good power, speed and delivery on his shots.

whatever come out of the hand wrap debacle years ago?
                    Those "low blows" are extremely overblown.

Comment

Yeah he took way to much punishment he shouldn't have been made to fight such an accurate concussive puncher so early in his career.

Comment

Working...
                      X