Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I think of catch weights I think of...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I think of catch weights I think of...

I've been at a million weigh-ins where some fighter and his coach will argue intensely over weight... making a big deal about a guy coming in a half pound over the limit, a pound over, etc. I've seen guys actual call the fight off when their opponent came in a bit heavy and couldn't lose the weight. Recently we had a guy who came in a couple points heavy and his opponent REFUSED FLAT OUT to budge. NO fight.

Yet former 160 POUND CHAMPIONS like Jones and Toney moved up and gave away HUGE poundage to the likes of John Ruiz, Hasim Rahman, Vassiliy Jirov, Samuel Peter...Roy was 193 when he fought Ruiz, who was what? 232? Something like that?

I understand getting every edge possible for you and your boxer, etc etc...but sometimes it gets taken WAY too far.

I guess it depends how close the fighters are in boxing ability , if they close every pound matters but if the lighter one has a good speed advantage he can give weight , most guys that move up have a lot of speed , as you would know more than anyone in here boxing is a speed sport when its all said and done .

Comment

I can only think of ONE name, the catch-weight king:

Canelo "Catch Weight" Alvarez

His 155lb made-up division, catchweight, diva-antics and his ducking are just embarrassing to the boxing community. Not to mention that his nut swinging fans are the biggest, lousiest and annoying people of all boxing scene!

Comment

1 pound = no difference, only a bit in the lower weights.
        2 pounds = minimal difference, relevant in the lower weights.
        3 pounds = always relevant, a deciding factor at lower weights.
        4/5 pounds = massive difference if the skills are on the same level.

Comment

a contract is a contract, and there are people in boxing that are being paid to draft up those contracts and hold people accountable. they're doing their jobs.

Comment

You're talking about Toney and Jones...two all time great fighters, that had skill by the truckload, and were more often then not leagues better boxers than their opponents whenever they stepped in the ring...

Those guys could afford to give away LB's and get away with it...but if the skill Delta isn't very big, then the weight could be a huge factor...

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              a contract is a contract, and there are people in boxing that are being paid to draft up those contracts and hold people accountable. they're doing their jobs.
              And everyone aren't getting paid if someone cancels a fight because of a couple of points or even pounds.

It's darn right idiotic to cancel a fight over such a minimal and ****** fraction. It's probably an advantage to the guy who actually made the weight anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                And everyone aren't getting paid if someone cancels a fight because of a couple of points or even pounds.

It's darn right idiotic to cancel a fight over such a minimal and ****** fraction. It's probably an advantage to the guy who actually made the weight anyway.

the interests of privte parties are their own, brih. lawyers and promotors aren't dumb people . when it's of benefit to fight, they fight. and when it is not, they don't. i've seen fights get derailed over very little weight, and i've seen brandon gonzalez beat a guy only because he outweighed him by 20 lbs in the ring.

you have to go case by case, understand your short and long term objectives, and make sure you take actions that achieve those outcomes. in some cases that's going to mean cancelling a fight. for how often guys miss weight, it's actully pretty rare to see cancellations. again, these aren't dumb people.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  the interests of privte parties are their own, brih. lawyers and promotors aren't dumb people . when it's of benefit to fight, they fight. and when it is not, they don't. i've seen fights get derailed over very little weight, and i've seen brandon gonzalez beat a guy only because he outweighed him by 20 lbs in the ring.

you have to go case by case, understand your short and long term objectives, and make sure you take actions that achieve those outcomes. in some cases that's going to mean cancelling a fight. for how often guys miss weight, it's actully pretty rare to see cancellations. again, these aren't dumb people.
                  I don't see all promoters being smart people either. We have crooks like Don King, former fighters Oscar dela Hoya and Mayweather, one of which who can't even read. Let's not say that all promoters in boxing are geniuses because they definitely aren't.

I can't for the life of me think why a fight should be cancelled because of short or long term objectives. can you give me an example of why it would be smart in some cases?

All the promotion, the TV (in most cases), purses, fans etc. are all losing out if a fight is cancelled and that is definitely not in anyone's interest.

I agree that it's rare and a fine is fair, but a full cancellation is downright idiotic.

Comment

this is obviously a very rare circumstanc [NYSAC actually found responsible for poorly maintaining its scales, IIRC,] but this is one of the things you have to consider, iceman.

15ish lb difference in the ring. gamache never fought again.

Comment

Working...
                    X