Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I think of catch weights I think of...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
    I don't see all promoters being smart people either. We have crooks like Don King, former fighters Oscar dela Hoya and Mayweather, one of which who can't even read. Let's not say that all promoters in boxing are geniuses because they definitely aren't.

I can't for the life of me think why a fight should be cancelled because of short or long term objectives. can you give me an example of why it would be smart in some cases?

All the promotion, the TV (in most cases), purses, fans etc. are all losing out if a fight is cancelled and that is definitely not in anyone's interest.

I agree that it's rare and a fine is fair, but a full cancellation is downright idiotic.

gatti was about half a pound over, IIRC. gamache never fought again. link is in the post i made before this one

Comment

lol at glorifying roy jones

he took steroids in the past

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
        I've been at a million weigh-ins where some fighter and his coach will argue intensely over weight... making a big deal about a guy coming in a half pound over the limit, a pound over, etc. I've seen guys actual call the fight off when their opponent came in a bit heavy and couldn't lose the weight. Recently we had a guy who came in a couple points heavy and his opponent REFUSED FLAT OUT to budge. NO fight.

Yet former 160 POUND CHAMPIONS like Jones and Toney moved up and gave away HUGE poundage to the likes of John Ruiz, Hasim Rahman, Vassiliy Jirov, Samuel Peter...Roy was 193 when he fought Ruiz, who was what? 232? Something like that?

I understand getting every edge possible for you and your boxer, etc etc...but sometimes it gets taken WAY too far.
        Or maybe the guy that failed to make weight should fight at a weight he can make easier. If you did this you wouldn't have a stoppage on your resume because you were "weight drained"
        Last edited by Robbie Barrett; 05-27-2016, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
          I've been at a million weigh-ins where some fighter and his coach will argue intensely over weight... making a big deal about a guy coming in a half pound over the limit, a pound over, etc. I've seen guys actual call the fight off when their opponent came in a bit heavy and couldn't lose the weight. Recently we had a guy who came in a couple points heavy and his opponent REFUSED FLAT OUT to budge. NO fight.

Yet former 160 POUND CHAMPIONS like Jones and Toney moved up and gave away HUGE poundage to the likes of John Ruiz, Hasim Rahman, Vassiliy Jirov, Samuel Peter...Roy was 193 when he fought Ruiz, who was what? 232? Something like that?

I understand getting every edge possible for you and your boxer, etc etc...but sometimes it gets taken WAY too far.
          I just never understood if a boxer is fighting at lets say MW (which has a 160lb) limit but he feels more comfortable at 157, why he cant just come in light? Personally Id be more concerned about the day of weight if I were the smaller fighter. But the way I see it is a boxer or MMArtist should always stay in shape between camps which should always give him/her the advantage over a fighter that has to spend a lot of camp just cutting weight. If you notice, the greater fighters of this decade (Mayweather, Pacquiao, BHop, Marquez) all fight at or very close to their natural walking around weight and usually come in a lil light and don't gain much fight night. Thats why I think CW are bogus as hell!

Comment

When guys struggle to make weight and come over, that is only half the battle his opponent faces. If his opponent made the weight much easier, you have to take in account what their fight night weights would be.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
              And everyone aren't getting paid if someone cancels a fight because of a couple of points or even pounds.

It's darn right idiotic to cancel a fight over such a minimal and stupid fraction. It's probably an advantage to the guy who actually made the weight anyway.
              The guy who DIDN'T make weight should have thought of all the people whose mouths he took food out of, doe.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                this is obviously a very rare circumstanc [NYSAC actually found responsible for poorly maintaining its scales, IIRC,] but this is one of the things you have to consider, iceman.

15ish lb difference in the ring. gamache never fought again.
                I understand that...fair point... but, at that point in their careers, I dont know if the weight made the big, big difference there... Gatti was a PUNCHER and Joey was at the very end...but my main point is... ONE POUND MEANS NOTHING...NOTHING...ZERO....BUT PEOPLE FIGHT OVER IT LIKE ITS 100 pounds...

Comment

Did weight hurt Chad Dawson when he fought Andre Ward?

Comment

If a boxer comes in overweight and won't lose that weight his opponent has every right to refuse to fight him so what is the problem? Rules and contracts should be followed and enforced or otherwise of what use are they? Jones and Toney fighting as heavyweights where there are no weight limits has exactly nothing to do with a boxer rightfully refusing to fight another boxer who failed to make the contracted weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
                      Or maybe the guy that failed to make weight should fight at a weight he can make easier. If you did this you wouldn't have a stoppage on your resume because you were "weight drained"
                      True... to a point. But u must understand...a guy like me, for example, I was way too small for cruiserweight...even though I had trouble making 175. Its just the way it is for some people...

Comment

Working...
                      X