No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sugar Ray Leonard: I Told Mayweather I Would Have Beat Him

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
    Now your trying to compare Leonard's performance against Norris to a prime Leonard who beat hearns....GTFOH ..Leonard was ravaged by retirements..inactivity and cocaine...and your saying because he leans to his right against a Norris ...shocking statement.....now you say what good is power if you can't land it ...well Leonard is much more than a banger....he could box and move , he could break you down to the body or the head....and your saying what good is power.....Floyd was staggered by Mosley , dropped by Judah and was busted up by maidana and your saying if you rsy could land his power shots....you have a very selective memory on how much Floyd gets tagged ..he got repeatedly tagged by the jab by a 34 year old Oscar and was busted up by 4 rounds by cotto ...Leonard had superior timing, speed ,movement , power and ring intelligence to any fighter Floyd has ever faced and u have to be either stupid or naive to think Leonard could not have repeatedly caught mayweather ...there's no way mayweather could have kept Leonard off him because he wouldn't respect his power and he could also compete with him in speed and movement....mayweather would be in a heap of trouble against Leonard ...simply because he's a bigger version who has an even amount of ability ....he's father tried the shoulder roll and Leonard dismantled that and that wa before Leonard was even at his utmost prime....and no not one of mayweathers defences at welterweight are anywhere near the caliber of a fighter of a Hearns , Duran and Benitez at there prime and all of them at the top of the tree and it's an insult to even mention an Ortiz,berto,Guerrero or maidana as some kind of comaparison

sounds like excuses to me....Leonard always leaned to the right and was a sucker for the str8* right....who said anything about staggered. you win by scoring points and Leonard wouldnt be able to avoid all those counters.....look at how he struggled with benitez....floyd is faster, even more elusive, better counters

idc who they fought, it doesnt matter at this level. what matters is their strengths and weakness and you are only considering leonards strengths.

He could be outjabbed and outboxed.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
      No, but not fighting the 2 top WW who had a reach advantage over him was his own choice I guess.

Easy work, easy money, Margo and P WILL weren't, Floyd knew that.
      They were not the Top 2 Welterweights.

Comment

• Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
        I already said that he was bigger than Floyd. But not only that, but he is a taller, LESS SKILLED, version of Mayweather! They are identical except Mayweather is WAAAAY better and SRL is taller!

But guess what? Everyone Floyd faces is taller with longer arms! Boxrec may list him as taller and longer than everyone but that is pure trash Lol Canelo and Ghost were GIANTS, with WAAAY longer arms!

Floyd is always 15lbs smaller than everyone he faces, and considering SRL's awful stylistic disadvantages, being tall is not enough!

I agree that SRL faced some legends, but look at the circumstances of Floyd's greatest victories! SRL is the same size as most of his opponents, while Floyd is way smaller.

SRL had power to hurt his foes, while Floyd did not! Floyd humiliates men no matter what! No matter their size, reach, old, young, giants, ants, your getting whitewashed period!

He fights like a martial artist!

Every single thing that Floyd does is beyond ALL wrong for SRL! Because of the styles, SRL would try to outbox Floyd which is a no-no! He's not going to be the taller man with reach, keeping Floyd from getting close!

Floyd is going to be the smaller quicker man capitalizing on every single mistake that SRL makes! Everytime SRL even thinks of doing something, he will get popped, and stop in his tracks like a puppy!

Then in the later rounds, he would be frustrated coming forward, while walking into shots! Like a vintage Mayweather performance! SRL is an outdated fighter and if Floyd and Pac fought in his era, he would be SHOCKED that they even existed! Its actually not fair to the Fab Four, to compare them to fighters of the future!

The closest thing to Pac back in the day was Duran at 135, and Pryor at 140! Other than that, its no such thing as a fighter that throws a thousand mortal combat video game punches, with endless stamina, angles, footwork, feints, head movement!

Those fighters would get blitzed and battered by Pac, while Floyd would make a mockery of them!
        If they are at there prime in the same era then they would each have the same training and same career progression and your wrong....Mayweather had a longer reach than cotto,Guerrero,Ortiz ,berto,pacquaio,maidana..get your facts straight ffs...and only maidana and canelo was 15lbs heavier than him and both of them have limited footwork so where the hell do you get your information from...yeah of course he can outbox Guerrero,Ortiz or a maidana ...most decent boxers would do....as for keeping mayweather at bay...Leonard would relish that......an old Oscar de la Hoya lost a split decision to mayweather and out jabbed him for 8 rounds and lost by 1 round....And to say Leonard never had the same ability as mayweather has simply summed you up.....Leonard had just as much handspeed and foot speed.ko power, intelligence .could beat you on the inside and outside....and was a great finisher ....mayweathers only small shot of beating Leonard would be to try and pot shot and move....but Leonard would hunt him down and punish him....now murka there's only one explanation for views is your spending to much time watching mayweathers fights and neglecting other great fighters...sit down grab a beer and watch Leonard in his fights against hearns, Benitez, Duran, green and even before he was champion..and educate yourself

Comment

• At 147 Mayweather can't hurt the past welter greats, he has NO Power!

Leonard does everything offensively better than Mayweather and Floyds little counter right hand gets him in trouble against Leonard.

Mayweathers best weight was 130 in regards to boxing history, there his size was an advantage, he had decent pop on his punches and his only weakness then was his immaturity!

Mayweather gets beat up by the great welters, it's not even close!!
          Oscar and Shane in their primes beat him and their not greats like Leonard or Hearns or Gavilan or Sugar Ray, Basilio.......................

If you can't get respect from your power your in trouble with the best ever!

Who did Mayweather ever face that was a legit puncher? Cotto hahahaha....

Leonard stops lil' Floyd late!!!

Ray
          Last edited by Ray Corso; 05-26-2016, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• funny how people underestimate floyds skill, ray leonard got hit a lot his size would be an advantage, I got Floyd edging out a close controversial decision. everytime this topic comes up people just act like ray would destroy Floyd, even if he beat Floyd no WW in history just outright Destroys a fighter as smart as floyd

Comment

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
              sounds like excuses to me....Leonard always leaned to the right and was a sucker for the str8* right....who said anything about staggered. you win by scoring points and Leonard wouldnt be able to avoid all those counters.....look at how he struggled with benitez....floyd is faster, even more elusive, better counters

idc who they fought, it doesnt matter at this level. what matters is their strengths and weakness and you are only considering leonards strengths.

He could be outjabbed and outboxed.
              Mayweather struggled with maidana. he struggled with cotto , he was oujabbed by de la Hoya and won a split decision , he was dropped by Judah... Benitez is an all time great and that still holds the record as the youngest ever world champion who was considered a defence genius and nick name was el radar...I have serious reservations that Floyd was that much better than him...maybe a tad but not by much...but Leonard did drop him twice and was comfortably ahead when it was stopped...the reason why Leonard beats mayweather is what ray said..Floyd lacks any kind of power to keep a great natural welterweight of him and Leonard is just naturally bigger at that weight with the same ability ....u need to get with it...the fight would be competitive if Floyd started his pro career at 140lbs then it's a more even fight..Leonard was just physically to much of a beast for him

Comment

If they are at there prime in the same era then they would each have the same training and same career progression and your wrong....Mayweather had a longer reach than cotto,Guerrero,Ortiz ,berto,pacquaio,maidana..get your facts straight ffs...and only maidana and canelo was 15lbs heavier than him and both of them have limited footwork so where the hell do you get your information from...yeah of course he can outbox Guerrero,Ortiz or a maidana ...most decent boxers would do....as for keeping mayweather at bay...Leonard would relish that......an old Oscar de la Hoya lost a split decision to mayweather and out jabbed him for 8 rounds and lost by 1 round....And to say Leonard never had the same ability as mayweather has simply summed you up.....Leonard had just as much handspeed and foot speed.ko power, intelligence .could beat you on the inside and outside....and was a great finisher ....mayweathers only small shot of beating Leonard would be to try and pot shot and move....but Leonard would hunt him down and punish him....now murka there's only one explanation for views is your spending to much time watching mayweathers fights and neglecting other great fighters...sit down grab a beer and watch Leonard in his fights against hearns, Benitez, Duran, green and even before he was champion..and educate yourself
                Fool I dont care about no training method you are getting too tactical which is a sign that you are thirsting to prove a point, that you simply cannot prove!

SRL isnt even as dedicated to the sport as Floyd!

And why are you pretending like you didnt understand me when I mentioned his reach? I specifically mentioned Boxred and Tail of the tape, the sources you got your "facts" about his reach from!

And I specifically said that those stats are balogne! Mayweather is ten times smaller, shorter arms, shorter height, than ALL of them!

That doesnt even make sense that he has longer arms than Cotto, Ghost, Marcos, Canelo, he was tiny in their! Everyone Floyd faces has size, reach, and longer arms than him!

In fact, Pac and JMM are the only opponents in recent times that he towered over!

And Ghost was 160lbs on fight night, Mosley said he was 160lbs, Marcos was 17lbs heavier, Canelo was 15lbs heavier, Ortiz was 14lbs heavier! Berto was 7lbs heavier!

Pac and JMM are his only small opponents in recent times and Pac was 152, while Floyd was 148!

And see no one has limited footwork! Its just that Floyd changes his reaction time for each fight! He makes everyone look like a statue stuck in mud! I dont compare Floyd's speed to his opponents! I compare THIS version of Floyd to THAT version of Floyd!

For instance, Marcos had good enough footwork for Floyd in the first fight! In the second Mayweather was too quick for him! And judging by the second fight, I felt that Floyd would still lose to Pac! But when he faced Pac he looked like the smaller, quicker man against Pac!

What I mean is, he made Pac look short, stubby, flatfooted, slow, and square! Mayweather has gears! Its a mental thing!

And when Floyd faced Oscar, he had a handful of fights at 140, leaped to 147, had a few fights their, and jumped to 154 to face Oscar! Surely the Floyd who faced Canelo would batter and TKO the dogshiet out of that very same version of Oscar! Their is no jabbing to death fam Lol

And SRL having "footspeed, and handspeed"= same abilities as Floyd? HAHAHAHA!!

He can have as much speed or whatever he wants, he's getting whitewashed!

SRL is a versitile Fighter! Like Floyd! He can fight in the inside and the outside...like Floyd!

However, Floyd is perfection. He could go to the ropes, I mean he would eat SRL alive! Your not going to beat Floyd, by being a tall, less skilled version of him!

And their is no "potshotting" Boy every single thing SRL does, will get him punched! And he will simply stop in his tracks! His era is simply not prepared for a guy from the future, to hop in a time machine, go to the freaking 80's and show him what Iphones look like!

Its not fair to SRL to compare him to Floyd or Pac! Not even compare him to Ward, or Rigo!

But your right, I have spent allot of time watching Mayweather! He is the greatest fighter I have ever seen in my life! I always watch his fight with Canelo. How he walked this giant down from opening bell and didnt get grazed by a single shot! It was legendary!

He was 37! 37yr old Floyd would TKO any version of SRL! SRL is just not used to anything like this or allot of the fighters we have in our era!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sammyjeff View Post
                  Dude are u high from sniffing Floyd's jock? Sugar ray beats him 8-4 if not knock him out. Do u forget the hand speed and underrated power sugar ray possessed. He beat arguably the best p4p fighter at that time in Marvin Hagler. Wake up dude.
                  exactly! Leonard could punch way harder than Floyd had faster hands arguably, a better chin, and was bigger. Plus Leoanrds Jab and sixe would have neutralized Floyd's offense.

Comment

Now your trying to compare Leonard's performance against Norris to a prime Leonard who beat hearns....GTFOH ..Leonard was ravaged by retirements..inactivity and cocaine...and your saying because he leans to his right against a Norris ...shocking statement.....now you say what good is power if you can't land it ...well Leonard is much more than a banger....he could box and move , he could break you down to the body or the head....and your saying what good is power.....Floyd was staggered by Mosley , dropped by Judah and was busted up by maidana and your saying if you rsy could land his power shots....you have a very selective memory on how much Floyd gets tagged ..he got repeatedly tagged by the jab by a 34 year old Oscar and was busted up by 4 rounds by cotto ...Leonard had superior timing, speed ,movement , power and ring intelligence to any fighter Floyd has ever faced and u have to be either stupid or naive to think Leonard could not have repeatedly caught mayweather ...there's no way mayweather could have kept Leonard off him because he wouldn't respect his power and he could also compete with him in speed and movement....mayweather would be in a heap of trouble against Leonard ...simply because he's a bigger version who has an even amount of ability ....he's father tried the shoulder roll and Leonard dismantled that and that wa before Leonard was even at his utmost prime....and no not one of mayweathers defences at welterweight are anywhere near the caliber of a fighter of a Hearns , Duran and Benitez at there prime and all of them at the top of the tree and it's an insult to even mention an Ortiz,berto,Guerrero or maidana as some kind of comaparison
                    Thank you! Floyd had alot of disadvantages against Ray. Ray would have outboxed and out brawled him. Too much speed , size, power. You can't beat Ray throwing 25 punches a round and holding constantly. Ray's jab would have controlled the whole fight. If Oscar could do it for 6 to 8 rounds then Ray would have abused him.

Comment

Mayweather struggled with maidana. he struggled with cotto , he was oujabbed by de la Hoya and won a split decision , he was dropped by Judah... Benitez is an all time great and that still holds the record as the youngest ever world champion who was considered a defence genius and nick name was el radar...I have serious reservations that Floyd was that much better than him...maybe a tad but not by much...but Leonard did drop him twice and was comfortably ahead when it was stopped...the reason why Leonard beats mayweather is what ray said..Floyd lacks any kind of power to keep a great natural welterweight of him and Leonard is just naturally bigger at that weight with the same ability ....u need to get with it...the fight would be competitive if Floyd started his pro career at 140lbs then it's a more even fight..Leonard was just physically to much of a beast for him
                      this is prime for prime....You got upset about me bring up norris even though Leonard has always been a sucker for the right hand. I gave examples early in his career

he was past prime vs Cotto and Maidana he was damn near 40

ODLH has a better jab than leonard..just because a fighter is considered greater doesnt mean that they are better at every aspect of the game

Also DLH doesnt keep his left hand as low as leonard...him leaning to the right and his low left is why Duran and Leonard hit him consistently with straight rights in his prime.

also when he plants his feet he throws looping punches. Floyd would counter the **** out of leonard in the middle of the ring, even against the ropes. leonard took a long time to break down his dad who isnt half the fighter his son is.

Leonard would go through hell for that ko...prime floyd made you miss and made you pay

Comment

Working...
                      X