No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sugar Ray Leonard: I Told Mayweather I Would Have Beat Him

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
    There were good reasons for Floyd to not fight Williams, Margo, I agree.

There were also good reasons to fight both.

Floyd fought for the casuals in order to earn PPV money, I get it.

If Floyd had fought for his legacy, he woulda fight Margo and P WILL when they had their momentum and we all know legacy wise they bring more to the table than Baldomir and most of 147 Floyd's win.

You know what, I really liked Floyd, I was a Floyd dude until he moved up to 147 and choose to fight for the money and becaming a stupid public character making Jersey Shore guys looking like sane and educated people.

Floyd made his choice and was free to do them, but he cherry picked as fack above 140.
    he must be the greatest cherry picker of all time because I have never seen a fighter end their career defeating 15 former champions/titlist in a row...if he is a cherry picker i wonder what you think about Manny, GGG, Kovalev

cherrypicker isnt an accurate term. He basically fought world class opponents every fight since 200

Comment

• Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
      So let's get this straight, it's somehow his fault that he has a reach advantage over most fighters past and present?
      No, but not fighting the 2 top WW who had a reach advantage over him was his own choice I guess.

Easy work, easy money, Margo and P WILL weren't, Floyd knew that.

Comment

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
        he must be the greatest cherry picker of all time because I have never seen a fighter end their career defeating 15 former champions/titlist in a row...if he is a cherry picker i wonder what you think about Manny, GGG, Kovalev

cherrypicker isnt an accurate term. He basically fought world class opponents every fight since 200
        So now being an alphabet titilist make you a wolrd beater?
        That doesn't mean sht, you can't be a titilist from lower classes or a paper champ.

ALgieri also was a titilist, even P@cturds won't dare bring such an average win in a Leonard fantasy fight thread.

Floyd fought some quality opponents, no doubt, he just cherry picked the moments and the style he would have an easier time with.
        Marquez also was a cherry pick size wise.

Floyd always was the A side post DLH and was the one choosing when the fights would get made.

Comment

I answered your question so answer one for me....how can you duck a fighters if you are fighting more accomplished and more proven fighters than them
          Was Baldomir really more accomplished than Margo?

Comment

• Would love to have seen Pacquiao and Mayweather matched against the Fab 5. Yes, I included Benitez, he deserves to be in that group.

Comment

what good is power if you dont land.

a great big man should beat a great small man. Based on the Leonard's killer instinct and size, id favor him but wouldnt be surprised if Mayweather pulled it off

I usually go back and forth on his wins. this is the umpteenth thread on the topic

One of Leonard's toughest fights as a champion was against Wilfred Benitez, who is an all time great but could be erratic, didnt train hard for his fights(he claimed to have only trained 2 weeks for leonard) but was defensive master.

When leonard isnt shoe shining he loops his punches, especially his right hand...he hardly throws it straight

also he leans to the right and is a sucker for the straight right at the elite level. Duran, Hearns, Norris everytime he was hurt it was right hands and thats mayweathers money shot

Leonard would have to win by ko, he isnt outboxing mayweather....he couldnt outbox hearns or benitez...he outfough them.

this fight is 50/50

1981 SRL vs 2007 Mayweather.....not the old 30+ year old floyd. Young ww floyd threw combos, had decent power, commited to shots yet was still elusive faster than today etc.
              Now your trying to compare Leonard's performance against Norris to a prime Leonard who beat hearns....GTFOH ..Leonard was ravaged by retirements..inactivity and cocaine...and your saying because he leans to his right against a Norris ...shocking statement.....now you say what good is power if you can't land it ...well Leonard is much more than a banger....he could box and move , he could break you down to the body or the head....and your saying what good is power.....Floyd was staggered by Mosley , dropped by Judah and was busted up by maidana and your saying if you rsy could land his power shots....you have a very selective memory on how much Floyd gets tagged ..he got repeatedly tagged by the jab by a 34 year old Oscar and was busted up by 4 rounds by cotto ...Leonard had superior timing, speed ,movement , power and ring intelligence to any fighter Floyd has ever faced and u have to be either stupid or naive to think Leonard could not have repeatedly caught mayweather ...there's no way mayweather could have kept Leonard off him because he wouldn't respect his power and he could also compete with him in speed and movement....mayweather would be in a heap of trouble against Leonard ...simply because he's a bigger version who has an even amount of ability ....he's father tried the shoulder roll and Leonard dismantled that and that wa before Leonard was even at his utmost prime....and no not one of mayweathers defences at welterweight are anywhere near the caliber of a fighter of a Hearns , Duran and Benitez at there prime and all of them at the top of the tree and it's an insult to even mention an Ortiz,berto,Guerrero or maidana as some kind of comaparison
              Last edited by The plunger man; 05-26-2016, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Stop with the former champions/titlist, that is such a watered down statistic. With 4 major titles, becoming a world champion doesn't mean very much. Look at AB, he's a four division world champion, but only one of those belts actually meant something(Demarco).

Comment

• Originally posted by Flash13 View Post
                  Stop with the former champions/titlist, that is such a watered down statistic. With 4 major titles, becoming a world champion doesn't mean very much. Look at AB, he's a four division world champion, but only one of those belts actually meant something(Demarco).
                  if its so watered down.....why hasnt anyone else come close? I'll break it down for you

I can go down the list.....majority of who he fought was highly ranked

actually he beat 17 in a row and only 2 of them were unranked when he fought them. JMM and Hatton were champions of their respected classes and moved up to face him

ODLH(top 3)
                  Manny(top 3)
                  Ortiz(top 3)
                  Mosley(top 3)
                  Judah(top 3)
                  Baldmir(champion)
                  Canelo(top 3)
                  Maidana(top 5)
                  Gatti(top 3)
                  Cotto(top 3)
                  Mosley(top 3)
                  Zab Judah(top 3)
                  Hatton(champ at 140)
                  Marquez(champ at 135)
                  Berto(unranked)
                  Mitchell(unranked)
                  Robert Guerrero( mid top ten)

so like I said, you may want to find a better word because cherrypicker doesnt really make sense.

who "cherry picks" top 5 opposition for virtually every out

Comment

• Originally posted by Flash13 View Post
                    5 World Champions. Remember the WBA has two champions per division.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
                      Your wrong ! Leonard was naturally bigger than floyd ..he had all the natural advantages over floyd in size , height and reach , the fighters who leonard beat are all true ring all time greats and when you compare the durans , hearns and benitez's to the ortiz , guerrero or even oscars..there's really no comparison...ortiz has never achieved anything. Guerrero was brought up from lightweight, Oscar and mosley were both natural lightweights and past it, pacquaio a 5ft 6 67 inc reach...leonard could box on the back foot and he could fight u up close and finish you...lighting quick handspeed and footwork .....floyd would get wrecked because nothing he could do would stop leonard fro getting to him...leonard was equally as gifted as floyd but was a bigger version...leonard in his prime has to much for floyd
                      I already said that he was bigger than Floyd. But not only that, but he is a taller, LESS SKILLED, version of Mayweather! They are identical except Mayweather is WAAAAY better and SRL is taller!

But guess what? Everyone Floyd faces is taller with longer arms! Boxrec may list him as taller and longer than everyone but that is pure trash Lol Canelo and Ghost were GIANTS, with WAAAY longer arms!

Floyd is always 15lbs smaller than everyone he faces, and considering SRL's awful stylistic disadvantages, being tall is not enough!

I agree that SRL faced some legends, but look at the circumstances of Floyd's greatest victories! SRL is the same size as most of his opponents, while Floyd is way smaller.

SRL had power to hurt his foes, while Floyd did not! Floyd humiliates men no matter what! No matter their size, reach, old, young, giants, ants, your getting whitewashed period!

He fights like a martial artist!

Every single thing that Floyd does is beyond ALL wrong for SRL! Because of the styles, SRL would try to outbox Floyd which is a no-no! He's not going to be the taller man with reach, keeping Floyd from getting close!

Floyd is going to be the smaller quicker man capitalizing on every single mistake that SRL makes! Everytime SRL even thinks of doing something, he will get popped, and stop in his tracks like a puppy!

Then in the later rounds, he would be frustrated coming forward, while walking into shots! Like a vintage Mayweather performance! SRL is an outdated fighter and if Floyd and Pac fought in his era, he would be SHOCKED that they even existed! Its actually not fair to the Fab Four, to compare them to fighters of the future!

The closest thing to Pac back in the day was Duran at 135, and Pryor at 140! Other than that, its no such thing as a fighter that throws a thousand mortal combat video game punches, with endless stamina, angles, footwork, feints, head movement!

Those fighters would get blitzed and battered by Pac, while Floyd would make a mockery of them!

Comment

Working...
                      X