Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was Mayweather held to such standards from certain posters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    The crazy expectations were long before for that. The double standards too....how long have you been around, 2 years. I know you know better NE.

When he was humble pretty boy floyd calling everyone out. Ever since he beat Gatti and became a ppv star, when he beats someone they cook up someone else and he beats them, then its excuses.

Biased as HBO commentary since his early days. Never saw the winner of a fight get criticized during and after fights.

every time he beat some one fans called for, in come excuses

yet its fighters who havent accomplished a 3rd of what he has and they get hyped to the heavens.

sure, man. floyd's never done anything to warrant any measure of criticism. never done anything wrong, period.

is that what you want to hear? it's clearly how you think

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      sure, man. floyd's never done anything to warrant any measure of criticism. never done anything wrong, period.

more so outside of the ring, than in it...in the ring ..the dude is only 49-0 with over 20 champions beaten, over 20 titles fights and over a dozen title defenses of those titles.

Most of the criticism comes from personal preference. Some people dont like his personality or outside of ring persona so they downplay who he fought and his skills, label him a coward and a ducker. Some dont like his style. but boxing is hit and dont get hit. its called common sense.

I dont know any duckers who fight 15 former current/champions back to back and most of them he was past his prime. Dude was 30 way back in 2007 so its funny to me how people act like this guy is immortal and doesnt age. He was 30 and fighting in his 4th and 5th weight division

A lot of the criticism comes from Mayweather playing the villian being the villain and people are upset he hasnt lost yet so they move the goal posts each time he accomplishes something or fights someone they say he was afraid of i.e. Canelo, Cotto, Mosley, Pac, DLH, and Hatton(yes people said he ducked hatton until he kicked his azz)...when he beats them, in come excuses

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Can anyone else offer me some clarity and remind me what belt Mayweather dropped?
        Pacquiao was made number 1 by the WBC after he beat Rios but he chose to fight Bradley for his belt so lost that ranking, Floyd didn't vacate to avoid Pacquiao he's just trying to rewrite history.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post

so its ok to criticize a proven all time great....cool. so why do people get up in arms when posters have questions and criticize GGG? He has not accomplished anything near what Mayweather has so its justifiable to question his opposition.

The man in 34, 35 fights in....when floyd was 25 years old and 27 fights in he won more titles, beat more champions and actually had a lineal title under his belt

whats silly to me is the people on this site who trashed mayweather's opposition and style for years, try to defend GGG's resume and get upset when its put into question.

Everyone knows he is talented, could be a great fighter but he hasnt been in their with the fighters to attain that status.

How can you criticize a guy who fights champions regularly but not be critical of a guy who fights a decent fight once and year and the other 2-3 opponents are no names we have to google.

Comment

Looking at the state of boxing less than a year after his "retirement" he has exposed all of theses chumps. TBE were taking the bullets for these clowns. With him out of the picture the real ones are limited in numbers. Most of these guys are full of story lines and no substance.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
              so its ok to criticize a proven all time great....cool. so why do people get up in arms when posters have questions and criticize GGG? He has not accomplished anything near what Mayweather has so its justifiable to question his opposition.

The man in 34, 35 fights in....when floyd was 25 years old and 27 fights in he won more titles, beat more champions and actually had a lineal title under his belt

whats silly to me is the people on this site who trashed mayweather's opposition and style for years, try to defend GGG's resume and get upset when its put into question.

Everyone knows he is talented, could be a great fighter but he hasnt been in their with the fighters to attain that status.

How can you criticize a guy who fights champions regularly but not be critical of a guy who fights a decent fight once and year and the other 2-3 opponents are no names we have to google.
              I have at times trashed Floyd's choices but as others stated to claim to be The Best Ever and the Greatest Of All Time has that adverse affect.

Perspective has come with a bit of absense though and there is no denying that he has to be considered in the conversation even if he doesn't quite make my top ten best ever.

He only fails by never having extended himself fully. He was never even in a 50/50 fight never mind one in which he was considered underdog. But even to refer to that as failing is not correct.

He is smart, a fantastic boxer, a savvy businessman and is now hugely wealthy, still healthy and regarded as an all time great, unbeatable at his weight classes. We should all fail so badly.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyboy View Post
                I have at times trashed Floyd's choices but as others stated to claim to be The Best Ever and the Greatest Of All Time has that adverse affect.

Perspective has come with a bit of absense though and there is no denying that he has to be considered in the conversation even if he doesn't quite make my top ten best ever.

He only fails by never having extended himself fully. He was never even in a 50/50 fight never mind one in which he was considered underdog. But even to refer to that as failing is not correct.

He is smart, a fantastic boxer, a savvy businessman and is now hugely wealthy, still healthy and regarded as an all time great, unbeatable at his weight classes. We should all fail so badly.
                so in essence, Mayweather is criticized for the same reason they pump up GGG. He hasnt had to extend himself either but he isnt fighting near the competition floyd did.

there is a difference between whitewashing a hall of famer(Marquez, Corrales) and knocking out no names(wade, ishida, monroe)

so, if its not GGG's fault that no one will fight him and he is being ducked, then it shouldnt be mayweathers fault for being in an era that didnt have a fighter or fighters that could push him to the limit. He was that good, and thats why he is in the conversation for the best of all time.

People who dont like him claiming he is the best ever need to use their brain, and if they were ever an athlete they'd understand. you dont give you life, time, blood, sweat and tears for a goal, succeed, just to say some one else is better than you. thats crazy and its stupid to me that people take offense to this when people said they were the best or greatest before him and they will after him.

It just seems like sour grapes and people are upset he hasnt lost and has proven them wrong time and time again.

who puts in so much work just to say someone else is better than you....thats stupid to be upset by another man's self belief. who is else is gonna believe in you if you dont?

I like fighters who talk ****, are head strong and can back it up

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                  I'm guessing when you coin yourself "TBE" you are held to higher standards than the average joe..

he was held to a higher standard before TBE, Money mayweather. When he was pretty boy floyd he got criticized for fights he won, dominated....thank mr. merchant and mr. bang bang bang.

so in essence, Mayweather is criticized for the same reason they pump up GGG. He hasnt had to extend himself either but he isnt fighting near the competition floyd did.

there is a difference between whitewashing a hall of famer(Marquez, Corrales) and knocking out no names(wade, ishida, monroe)

so, if its not GGG's fault that no one will fight him and he is being ducked, then it shouldnt be mayweathers fault for being in an era that didnt have a fighter or fighters that could push him to the limit. He was that good, and thats why he is in the conversation for the best of all time.

People who dont like him claiming he is the best ever need to use their brain, and if they were ever an athlete they'd understand. you dont give you life, time, blood, sweat and tears for a goal, succeed, just to say some one else is better than you. thats crazy and its stupid to me that people take offense to this when people said they were the best or greatest before him and they will after him.

It just seems like sour grapes and people are upset he hasnt lost and has proven them wrong time and time again.

who puts in so much work just to say someone else is better than you....thats stupid to be upset by another man's self belief. who is else is gonna believe in you if you dont?

Comment

This is what Larry is asking: Why does a boxer who calls himself the best ever get held to such a high standard?

Really?

That's a legit question? ****.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spoon23 View Post
                      Aaaahh since he arrogantly loves calling himself TBE??

Am a right? What do I get?

I think I nailed it. Don't I get a prize?

he was held to a higher standard before TBE, Money mayweather. When he was pretty boy floyd he got criticized for fights he won, dominated....thank mr. merchant and mr. bang bang bang.

Comment

Working...
                      X