Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the heavyweight stylists?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There just really isn't a whole lot of "stylistic" talent in the HW division right now.

As much as I don't like Fury, for a number of reasons - his style is ungainly and awkward, but it's decent to watch just for the freak factor. He has a very low IQ in life, but a decent boxing IQ.

I enjoyed watching Wlad in years gone by, just because of the way he systematically dismantled his opponents. if you're a "purist" of sorts, he was good to watch.

Not sold on AJ currently - he's stiff, and has had the luxury of facing club fighters that he can just walk through. Interested to see how he handles himself against top class opposition - I'm hoping he's able to find a way to turn that power into proper results.

Completely bias towards Parker, as he's the local lad - but from a viewers perspective, he's a fantastic watch. Pretty classic style, everything built around a consistent and fast jab, good head movement and good footwork. Hasn't progressed as much on D as I would like, but covers that somewhat by showing he's got a real strong chin. I like the way he picks apart his opposition - and even when he's clearly outclassed his opponent, he's still fought in a way that has helped him develop. There's no value in doing what AJ does - walk forward and through - because he won't be able to do that against anyone half decent.

Wilder? Eh, big guy, would be nice to see him fight anyone but bums.

Ortiz? We may never know how good he could be - much like GGG, people are just waiting for him to age and go away.

Quite a sad state, HW boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      Fury is clumsy af.

Ortiz is slow and stands right in front. He is hardly a stylist.
      Fury has his clumsy moments, but if you don't see the master boxer behind it, the tactician, the wizard, then you've been wasting an awful long time watching a sport you don't understand bud.

And Ortiz, lmao, you couldn't be more wrong about Ortiz.

AND YOU CAN BE A STYLIST WHILE STAYING IN FRONT OF YOUR OPPONENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always give more credit to defensive masterminds who make opponents miss with their hips, thighs, shoulders, back and head in the pocket over those who do it moving in and out. It's harder to do.

Sounds to me like you really don't know what you are talking about, which is interesting for a guy who has been here for as long as you have, flossing Ali avis and all. Ali would be ashamed of you.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
        Fury has his clumsy moments, but if you don't see the master boxer behind it, the tactician, the wizard, then you've been wasting an awful long time watching a sport you don't understand bud.

And Ortiz, lmao, you couldn't be more wrong about Ortiz.

AND YOU CAN BE A STYLIST WHILE STAYING IN FRONT OF YOUR OPPONENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always give more credit to defensive masterminds who make opponents miss with their hips, thighs, shoulders, back and head in the pocket over those who do it moving in and out. It's harder to do.

Sounds to me like you really don't know what you are talking about, which is interesting for a guy who has been here for as long as you have, flossing Ali avis and all. Ali would be ashamed of you.
        ^This.
        People see Ortiz as being thick and old and assume he can't move. The guy has great footwork and movement! Like most veteran technicians, he's developed an economy of motion. It's as Ward says about Floyd; "you look at the first half of his career and he moves all over the place, you look at the last half and he moves just enough". Same with how Ward made Barrera miss and all but 15% of his punches. But, people didn't see him hopping around so they think he got hit a lot. No, he was slipping, parrying, blocking, etc with the most subtle movements. That's what Ortiz is about. Not everyone has the eye to pick that stuff up though.

Comment

Pretty simple question, where are people that can make you tune in just for their styles? The likes of Ali or Tyson for example. We just have these big lumbering oafs who plod around the ring throwing out jabs and right hands so slow that even 60 year olds can see them coming.

So, are there any prospects who may actually be fun to watch?

The only HW in the world that matters! most electrifying, fastest hands ; KO machine! The Bronze medalist of the 2008 Beijing Olympics from the United States Of America!!! BOMBSQUAD!!!

Comment

I simply don't get how we've gone from heavyweight stylists being Ali, frazier, Tyson to fury and ortiz.

What's this bs about not understanding furys style? It's like you lot have seen the wlad fight and thought 'oh wow I love his very poor imitation of Ali' I'm going to label him a great boxer. That's just not the case.

His hand and foot coordination is horrendous and he does everything wrong...no not in the Ali or Jones sense when they made it right but in the sense that he's a big guy who thinks he can move but just looks foolish trying it.

Ortiz is skilled no doubt but stylish really? What does he do? A stylist is flashy and skilled in both. Ortiz hots hard but plods around the ring just like all the other guys around these days.

You guys seem to think good fighter = stylist. That's just not the case.
            Or if these two are the standard bearers for modern day style than good God how we've fallen.

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
              It make me even more sad that Tyson hes problems now,Tbh there is no HW with unique style now,what made Ali so remarkable was his Charisma and will to win and be the greatest,Fury have charisma but no passion to boxing and will to win,i would like to have some charismatic fighter even if he is plodder,tbh i never understood Floyds fenomen he is boring,and he have no charisma at all,idk how can somebody call this guy charismatic,yet he sells like crazy.Alis times was also more interesting and his carrere have this context,some hated him some loved,he wasnt a saint himself too,things he done to Joe were disgusting.Fury would have his Joe and George in Wilder and AJ but they arent so charismatic like George,or have aura like Joe and a context and background built fights like Ali vs Frazier or Foreman vs Ali they had an epic aura,you get me?
              Agreed mostly!

I think the whole Ali v frazier thing is exceptionally one sided these days. Ali taunted him like he taunted many others, maybe he went a bit further than normal but frazier also called him clay for so long and labeled him a 'half breed' at one time. Half breed? That's disgusting.

Frazier deserves as much scorn as Ali in that rivalry.

Comment

They are at 175 and 200 because modern heavyweights no longer weigh 190 lbs

Stop asking the same question every year for 20 years when you know the answer

Comment

Agreed mostly!

I think the whole Ali v frazier thing is exceptionally one sided these days. Ali taunted him like he taunted many others, maybe he went a bit further than normal but frazier also called him clay for so long and labeled him a 'half breed' at one time. Half breed? That's disgusting.

Frazier deserves as much scorn as Ali in that rivalry.
                  Yea at the end they became friends thats most important ,Joe have his part too ofc, Ali joe and George were connected in different storys like no other boxers ,realy interesting trio .

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
                    Yea at the end they became friends thats most important ,Joe have his part too ofc, Ali joe and George were connected in different storys like no other boxers ,realy interesting trio .
                    There was a genuine narrative to their rivalry and I think it helped that these guys were all willing to face each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Br1ng3r View Post
                      They are at 175 and 200 because modern heavyweights no longer weigh 190 lbs

Stop asking the same question every year for 20 years when you know the answer
                      Ali, Tyson, Frazier and so on weighed 190lb?

Wow, thanks for letting me know

Comment

Working...
                      X