Collapse
No announcement yet.

Erislandy Lara vs. Gennady Golovkin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technically speaking, I can understand the rationale behind Team Golovkin reluctance in challenging Erislandy Lara. I personally don't think it's right but I do understand why they are avoiding the challenge.

For one, Lara has nothing that Golovkin need. He brings nothing to the bargaining table while coming to the table empty handed.

For example, he is not a middleweight and hasn't campaigned as one either. Secondly, he doesn't a hold a world title belt at the 160lb division and last but not least, he doesn't bring meat to the seats.

He just doesn't have a larger enough following or fanbase for GGG to earn enough money in such a high risk low reward bout.

Now if Erislandy had a middleweight belt or a Mayweather, Pacquiao, Canelo or Cotto fanbase, then Team Golovkin wouldn't so much as to hesitate to jump on that opportunity bandwagon in a heart beat.

Hell, he would probably even consider coming down to a 154lb weight division for that potential bout.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
      honestly, i'll buy the PPV. gotta take what you can get. golovkin's goign to start to slide soon -[and you bet yuor ass that canelo's team are waiting for it with bated breath.]

but don't complain when yuo need to pay 60 for this fight. lara is rumored to be looking for 3 million! that's almost topping out the budget for a single fight on regular HBO on its own.
      3 million?

What the fuck. If that's true then this is all bullshit. How could that match-up possibly pay Lara $3m. Golovkin won't even earn that.

Comment

• Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
        Yeah but BJS would be a unification fight. Also didn't they only offer Saunders about $1m?

Why would it be $3m when Golovkin doesn't even earn that? He got $2m in his last fight.

Realistically you're not going to get $3m or more against GGG unless you're somebody like Canelo or you're bringing a lot of money to the table, Lara doesn't at all. He would be lucky to get $1.5m. He's basically unknown outside of some bed-wetting boxing fans on forums.
        I agree with all your points I just thought they made a $3 mil offer to BJS.

GGG is a good for TV but tickets when he headlines are relatively cheap and the gates are relatively small.

Comment

• Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
          Yeah but BJS would be a unification fight. Also didn't they only offer Saunders about $1m?

Why would it be $3m when Golovkin doesn't even earn that? He got $2m in his last fight.

Realistically you're not going to get $3m or more against GGG unless you're somebody like Canelo or you're bringing a lot of money to the table, Lara doesn't at all. He would be lucky to get $1.5m. He's basically unknown outside of some bed-wetting boxing fans on forums.
          http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...home-advantage

WBA-IBF champion Golovkin's team last week made Saunders an offer believed to be £2.2million to face the Kazakh knockout machine in a world title unification clash.
          Last edited by The Big Dunn; 05-25-2016, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freedom2016 View Post
            Now change Laras name with Golovkin and GGG with Floyd shall we?

I am far from a Golovkin fan, BUT HE IS BEGGING FOR THIS DAMN FIGHT, Floyd fans cliam he is TBE in the damn world, well Golovkin is calling him out loud and ****ing clear...If he loses so the hell what, it will be the biggest name on Floyd's resume that wasn't a cherry pick. I think Floyd will PED abuse but hell fight the man and get it out of the way..Better then the Berto and Maidanas of the damn world.

There you go
            The difference is that every fighter from 135-160 is begging for a Mayweather fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
              3 million?

What the fuck. If that's true then this is all bullshit. How could that match-up possibly pay Lara $3m. Golovkin won't even earn that.
              How is it BS when K2 offered Saunders about the same?

You can't have it both ways. Saunders is more of a draw then Lara but surely the fight will not generate enough for him to earn that amount, even in England.

Comment

• Originally posted by bballchump11 View Post
                The difference is that every fighter from 135-160 is begging for a Mayweather fight.
                Well Lara has said he wants it for ages yet he has never once moved up to 160 that's my only problem with fully believing him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freedom2016 View Post
                  Well Lara has said he wants it for ages yet he has never once moved up to 160 that's my only problem with fully believing him.
                  Thats like someone telling you they didn't believe GGG wanted to fight Floyd because he hasn't gone down to 154 so come on

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    SHouldn't be an issue-thats the money K2 offered to BJS right?

i'd have to look into the articles to see what was offered to saunders. did theyt have HBO's blessing to make the fight on ppv?

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
                      i'd have to look into the articles to see what was offered to saunders. did theyt have HBO's blessing to make the fight on ppv?
                      I don't think K2 makes the offer without HBO's blessing since HBO has to approve every opponent.

As I said to Dr. Rumack, BJS is more of a seller than Lara but I doubt he is so big that the fight would make that much. BJS was a champion and Lara isn't but Lara is more highly regarded.

Comment

Working...
                      X