Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't the African American crowd gravitate to Ward like Mayweather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 10COUNT View Post
    Ward s clean cut. Americans are fascinated with the ghetto hip hop rich lifestyle. They are the demographic.
    Unfortunately that's it...
    Dre's Irish father made the difference.

Comment

Some good points made which I'll try not to reiterate too much. What I will add is that Mayweather put himself out there in a manner that Ward is too dignified to do. First he grabbed peoples attention with a brash, ****y personality then he very cleverly self promoted in a style that people had become accustomed to.

Chiefly, outside of the ring what he was selling was an aspirational lifestyle. He used the 24/7 series to perfection to meet that end which at times (the bust ups with his father etc) had the feel of a reality series.

Both of those formats now have started to become a little bit tired but Mayweather used them at the right time and in the right way and that paid dividends. He milked the voyeur in us all for every last dollar that he could.

Comment

Good question

Probably because hes not as entertaining outside the ring and he hasnt had a delahoya type opponent yet that can catapult him into stardom

Comment

It's not African Americans problems, it's European Americans & Hispanic Americans as a whole. Mayweather transcended the sport, Ward not quite much.

You can't tell me three million African Americans purchased PPV's for Floyd vs Manny with the remaining 1.6 million spread out amongst other demographics.

Comment

A few reasons.

1. Ward is simply not as exciting, inside the ring or outside, and when was the last time someone said Mayweather was more exciting than anyone inside the ring?

2. He doesn't market himself, alot of African Americans don't know who Ward is, they know Mayweather, Mike Tyson, and a few more, most of them are casual boxing fans who think Mike Tyson still boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by respectthebrush View Post
              Yeah, well, he isn't on his 2nd or 3rd wife. He doesn't have bastard kids down in Mexico like De La Hoya. He hasn't been charged with anything that I know of. Maybe I'm just a fool to think the world needs a little more Andre Wards in it.
              I don't think anyone called you a fool lol calm down mate, but post still stands doe, you don't know a person until you know them personally.

Comment

Originally posted by 10COUNT View Post
                Ward s clean cut. Americans are fascinated with the ghetto hip hop rich lifestyle. They are the demographic.
                First thing I thought.

Floyd established himself as the loud and brash type of guy that has women around him, throws money around (literally and figuratively), doesn't stop talking about how great he is etc etc.

Ward established himself as a God fearing family man. Virtually the opposite. While this may be more realistic and closer to home for a lot more of us every day people, from an 'entertainment' standpoint, it just doesn't pull people in.

From casuals all the way through to the hardcores, to one degree or another and weather you like it or not, what entices you about an upcoming bout? A guy who is brash as hell, has drama around him and is wild with money etc... or a guy who sits with his family quietly thanking God for everything?

Again, Ward's image is a lot more respectable and realistic, but it doesn't sell attention.

Comment

He's not "ghetto-fabolous" enough for their liking.

In all seriousness, As good as Ward is, he's just too bland. He has no personality and his fights lack excitement and drama. He may appeal to boxing purists but he lacks what it takes for mainstream fans to take notice.
                  Last edited by Deevel916; 05-17-2016, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Also as a side note, I do not necessarily believe being African-American has anything to do with it...Regardless of race because it should not matter, a lot of fans just don't take to Ward.

Casual fans don't see his image as attractive and his style isn't thrilling to them. Only close fans of the sport appreciate his talent and in this day and age if you want to blow up in this sport you need to branch out further than the support/recognition of hardcore fans and I don't being African American plays a part in that.

Comment

no one watched the fresh prince of bel-air for carlton banks.

Comment

Working...
                      X