Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo/Khan: HBO not releasing "awful" numbers. Glaser: 322k is the number! PPV Dead?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Around 600k for a mismatch is pretty damn good, especially after the backlash of Pac-Mayweather.

Khan's previous fight was on Spike TV, so Canelo basically shifted over 550k PPV's on his own.

Call it 575,000 at $60 per buy, that's just under $35million. Time you pay the fighters, arena costs, etc...you're still left with a nice profit.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
      This is rich the same ggg bytch boy who been crying about glaser 97k ppv tweet for over 6 months discrediting it and calling glaser a liar is now using the same guy as a credible source for canelo even though Dan Rafael the same source who said ggg did 150k is saying canelo did 600k. So which is is glaser a lying hack or isn't he? Oh I get ggg fans go by Dan numbers for ggg but for canelo let's go by glaser. SMH
      I think you've completely misunderstood what point this thread is making.

Fits showing the hypocrisy of people who insist GGG did 97k using Glaser's numbers, but insist Canelo just did 600k using Oscars numbers.

Nope. GGG did 97k and Canelo did 300k. Or, GGG did 150k and Canelo did 570k. I don't care what the numbers actually are. Cotto did 60k for his first PPV, so anything above that is fine for a first PPV. On the other hand, Canelo v Khan? This is supposed to be the new media darling versus someone with good casual nanme recognition. In the post Mayweather era, anything less than 1 mil for that fight is bad.

On the other hand, you know which fight would for sure get 1mil plus PPVs? GGG v Canelo, second weekend of December, both with a warm up/interim fight in September or August, Golovkin v Jacobs and Canelo v Saunders on the same card, co-headlining. Chuck Choclatito in there too, and that in itself would do 750k PPVs.

Comment

If Pacquiao did under 500K for a Bradley exhibition then 322K for an absolute Canelo mismatch is about right. Fans still pay for a fight. May-Pac broke the bank not just because of the name power. It was expected to be a fight for the ages! And it sure was...for the wrong reasons. There is no matchups out there that widespread fans are salivating for right now. Canelo-GGG is a good fight but they won't break 1 mil. Compare this with McGregor vs Nate Diaz! What's the difference? Charisma, star power...PLUS fighting skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          PPV is dead is the new boxing is dead isn't it?

What people are trying to ignore, for various reasons, is the last decade were extremely heavily propped up by Manny & Floyd. From 2006 to 2015 Manny & Floyd sold ~32M of the ~42M Boxing PPV's sold (76%).

The PPV market was dependent on both of them. Now that they are out of the game there is bound to be a period of re-growth of that market with new names & it'll be harder to create names as no one really captured the publics imagination like Floyd & Manny. And while Manny lost a couple fights no one "took" his PPV allure away like Floyd & Manny took Oscar's to become great PPV names in their own right. I don't think either did more than 400k PPV's previous to the Oscar W which took them to a whole other level.

Canelo is the closest thing to the next PPV superstar. But he failed to beat Floyd when given a chance like Manny & Floyd were with Oscar. And while he did beat Cotto (the #6 all time PPV guy) its just not the same as beating Floyd woulda did for him.

So basically these new guys on the way up got a rougher road of 300k+ PPV fights as they grow a bigger audience that is willing to pay to see them fight. So people thinking you need 1M PPV's need to look back at the reality for non-HW's previous to the Floyd & Manny era when 332k buys would be among or near the top 10 for non-HW PPV fights.

And then to get even simpler there is the basic selling premise of if you try to sell people bs you're bound to get less buyers so while I think Canelo's PPV future is solid, he can't fight Rosado next & think he's gonna do 800k+ buys.
          Finally someone with common sense.

Comment

PPVs,, if you're going to use them should be for HUGE events. Fights like ggg-lemieux, canelo-khan or crawford-postol don't fall under that category. HBO is dying in this sport and it won't be long until they pull the plug, imo

Comment

Some of you just start watching boxing or something? If it's right under 600k that would make it a great success. That would be beyond impressive. Even 2-300k isn't bad when you consider it's not even a big matchup. This is how the good ppv numbers tend to look when its not a mega fight. 1mil isnt common at all. If anyone is getting hundreds of thousands of ppv buys then they're doing beyond well. Especially considering the times we live in and how easy it is for people to stream. That a boxer can still pull in that kind of viewership in a showcase type of matchup at that price is impressive. If we're being honest, Floyd or Pac probably couldnt do much better with Khan either. This was the kind of fight that people were actually buzzing about in the way that people knew it wasn't dangerous for Canelo..everyone was basically "Watching the Canelo fight". No one even cared who he was fighting. Not bad for a ginger.

Comment

Originally posted by Xoahr View Post
                I think you've completely misunderstood what point this thread is making.

Fits showing the hypocrisy of people who insist GGG did 97k using Glaser's numbers, but insist Canelo just did 600k using Oscars numbers.

Nope. GGG did 97k and Canelo did 300k. Or, GGG did 150k and Canelo did 570k. I don't care what the numbers actually are. Cotto did 60k for his first PPV, so anything above that is fine for a first PPV. On the other hand, Canelo v Khan? This is supposed to be the new media darling versus someone with good casual nanme recognition. In the post Mayweather era, anything less than 1 mil for that fight is bad.

On the other hand, you know which fight would for sure get 1mil plus PPVs? GGG v Canelo, second weekend of December, both with a warm up/interim fight in September or August, Golovkin v Jacobs and Canelo v Saunders on the same card, co-headlining. Chuck Choclatito in there too, and that in itself would do 750k PPVs.
                I have never used glaser numbers for ggg i said day 1 97k sounds foolish and most canelo fans I know think he is a clown and liar. Again glaser said 600k for canelo cotto and canelo fans bashed him for lying there too. So don't lump in a few ggg haters with canelo fans. Because truth is fans on both sides realize glaser is making up as he goes along. But ggg fans can't call a man a liar and not credible for 6 months and then pretend like this clown knows what he is talking about with canelo khan.

Comment

How is PPV boxing dead? That 350k (for calculation purposes, let's just go with this figure) x 70 = 24.5 million dollars?

Not bad for a few hours of boxing.

Not to mention the money from all the other countries who purchased the right to air this fight.

Plus the gate revenue.

You're looking at around 35 million prolly.

Comment

Originally posted by GOT BEEF? View Post
                    well, for starters they should make the fights availble for those who wish to purchase the Ppv but don't have cable. now obviously u dont need HBO or showtime to buy a corresponding PPV,however u do still need a CABLE/satellite provider to buy it. some people simply do not have this as they do all of their media/TV/movies online.

if it's a golden boy ppv you should ideally be able to go to golden boy . com and buy the ppv stream from there. the fact that this hasn't been played with yet is outrageous. i think top rank does it but only sometimes, however it gives you the top rank feed instead of the hbo feed which to me is not a problem.

it should warn potentials buyers first and foremost the required mbps speed required to play smoothly so lame ass poor folks dont get all pissy when it starts to get choppy on their 3DL/1UP internet plan from AOL

they also need to lower all ppv prices to $50 for HD and remove SD from the picture entirely,who the fuk buys SD anyway?might as well catch a stream.

aint that the price of UFC PPVS? also WWE PPVS?
                    First of all, Big Cable gets up in arms if companies try to circumvent the existing model. They demand to still get their same cut despite them not providing the feed, or they threaten to yank programming. It's happened with the NFL more times than I can recollect.

WWE got away with it because they're throwing money at Big Cable to go away.

UFC gets away with it because they're throwing money at Big Cable to go away.

Boxing - or at least in the US - simply doesn't care. They keep puckering up. Meanwhile Box Nation provides just about every fight regardless of promoter. But as I understand the UK model, they don't pay per event, they pay for the channel that hosts the event, so it's actually better than our model where we pay for a channel AND pay to watch an event on said channel.

Last, I don't think "Stream Only" is a viable model. It should be the customer's choice: Sit in front of a TV and not deal with buffering issues and pay a flat rate for that programming, or sit in front of a computer/phone/tablet and not have to own cable.

NFL and NHL are the only ones I can think of that have it right, and both are grossly overpriced.

As far as the clickbait title, the reality is that Cotto/Canelo happened after MayPac and it did outstanding numbers. Debunks the theory Canelo can't draw.

Fact of the matter is, it was a mismatch, everyone knew it was a mismatch, everyone knew Khan isn't elite and everyone knew Khan was going to get KTFO. Waste of money for a predictable outcome fight. Whereas Cotto/Canelo on paper was a pick-em fight.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                      I have never used glaser numbers for ggg i said day 1 97k sounds foolish and most canelo fans I know think he is a clown and liar. Again glaser said 600k for canelo cotto and canelo fans bashed him for lying there too. So don't lump in a few ggg haters with canelo fans. Because truth is fans on both sides realize glaser is making up as he goes along. But ggg fans can't call a man a liar and not credible for 6 months and then pretend like this clown knows what he is talking about with canelo khan.
                      i dont think this thread was pointed at you directly.

Comment

Working...
                      X