Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo fans, can you explain why he won't fight Golovkin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
    Canelo will be stripped of the belt and will continue to look to make fights at a fake weight limit.
    Fixed that one for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Triple Genius View Post
      GGG and Canelo are in the same weight class. He doesn't need to give up a single pound for a belt that has a specific weight limit. Those guys gave up weight to even the odds. They were in different weight classes. Giving weight up to Canelo makes no sense other than Canelo re-hydrates more weight.
      Canelo has made it absolutely that he's not taking any fights above 155lbs, anytime soon.

If Golovkin and his camp are happy with being handed another title belt, so be it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irony123 View Post
        So Lara is a challenge? the guy who struggles beating quality opposition at 154 is the guy you want him to fight? Lets not get started about the Ward offer. The fight wouldn't have even happened by this point yet... and surprisingly came in after the Lemiux fight was signed and GGG was mandatory for the Cotto vs. Canelo winner. Some how this contract was genuine but when Ward declined a fight vs. GGG in 2013 none of you imbeciles bring that up because it doesn't support your argument ... so please spare me the he should have agreed to fight ward... 3 tune ups in the future at 50/50.

Oscar moved up to 160 to give fame to bernard... nothing more nothing else he was on his way out he came in and lost his fight to Sturm really badly... got a home cooked decision so he can face Bernard... good for him. lets applaud this attempt to achieve greatness.

Bernard hopkins (great fighter in his own right) lost his middleweight tiles and couldn't win them from Taylor then decided to move up. Was he chasing greatness or he couldn't cut it at middleweight anymore and moved up to fight Tarver? who by the way was never that good and his claim to fame was a one punch knockout of Roy Jones who pretty much came back from heavyweight and was never the same...

Anyways we can go all day about this ****. you can say something and claim that your favorite fighters did this because they "dare to be great" but unfixing a division is really not the impressive even though it is literally something that might happen once every 10 years if not longer...

i'll conclude your idiocy and double standard with one final paragraph. You praise Canelo for beating fighters in his own division... fighters that frankly are good but fairly standard like Lara and trout... then you go on criticizing GGG for beating similar caliber fighters in his own division (i.e. top 5) then you go on defending Canelo by saying he shouldn't fight GGG because there are bigger fights on the horizon even though they are in the same weight division and GGG is his mandatory. Then you go on criticizing GGG for not fighting Lara who doesn't even fight at MW and criticize him for not fighting Ward who is one division above... you dare GGG to be great but excuse Canelo from fighting his mandatory because GGG didn't dare to be great and move up. Does that make any sense? no it doesn't and it shouldn't because that entire paragraph... even though its true and is exactly what you are doing sounds completely ******ed.
        Lara is a legit fighter and, if the fight were made, would be the best fighter that Golovkin has ever stepped into the ring with as a professional.

Try to minimize the man all you want, who on Golovkin's resume is earnestly a better fighter than Erislandy Lara?

If Golovkin steps in the ring and just ragdolls Lara, he would've ragdolled a guy who (having walked into the ring for fights near 170) was actually a legit fighter for once.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcj0427 View Post
          Khan brings a lot of the UK market yes, but do you think that fight will bring in more money then a Canelo-GGG fight? Your crazy. Golovkin vs Lemieux was a flop because it was his first PPV against an unknown opponent. Canelos first time headlining a PPV brought in 325k buys because he is mexican and he had already fought Mayweather. Golovkin, a fighter from Kazakhastan, had to solely depend on his ring skills to draw in 150k buyers.

GGG-Canelo is a money fight for Canelo no matter how you look it. The risk for Canelo is not that hes not gonna get paid, thats bulls***. Its that hes gonna get his ass handed to him and his stock is gonna go down.
          Golovkin-Lemieux was selling tickets for as low as $10 (apparently on secondary market sites like StubHub). Not sure why reality keeps getting ignored but, on top of the staged 12k seats at the Forum (the ticket prices slip my mind at the moment but I want to say they were priced $30 to $300), K2 sold an extra 4k $30 tickets without even staging the venue for The Forum's maximum capacity of 17,500 seats.

Golovkin-Wade, guessing at the venue breakdown, likely ended up selling 7k tickets at $30.

People seem to enjoy the can crushing enough to tune in on regular HBO, but no one is actually putting real money behind Golovkin, regardless of how hard folks want to spin in.

You stage the full Forum (17,500 seats) at the 400/250/150/100/50/30 price points (not sure what the actual numbers were), Golovkin doesn't sell out the Forum.

Saul Alvarez did 325k PPV buys on his debut PPV because 1)he arrived in the US for the Matthew fight in 2011 already a star in his native Mexico, 2)he'd already headlined is own US shows and did great business; Staples Center[CA], MGM Grand[NV] and Alamodome[TX], 3)had started to be seen as a legit fighter after the Trout fight,and 4)he picked up the rub from the exposure that he picked up being on Floyd's cards and fighting Floyd.

After taking the chances that needed to be taken and developing a star, Alvarez's debut PPV did $2.5m at the gate 325k PPV buys ($50 a pop, and you're talking about the US TV putting $8m into the pot).

Golovkin's fought on HBO Championship Boxing 9 times and did terrible business. Manny Pacquiao's debut PPV, according to Wikipedia, did over 340k PPV buys and you can't say that his grasp of English was better than Golovkin's is; how many times do you think he had to fight on HBO to goose up that number?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
            DLH wasn't the champ, he was a junior middlweight coming up after a loss in Mosley rematch who coudln't beat Felix Sturm.
            Oscar De La Hoya was WBO 160 champ (granted, the WBO still doesn't count for much, but it was held as a world title), in case you forgot.

Comment

• Originally posted by ruedboy View Post
              You're probably right, but if Alvarez does give up the MW title, I think he'll lose the respect of his Mexican fans. So maybe that will pressure him to sign for the Golovkin fight.
              I earnestly don't think so, but it'll come down to who Alvarez chooses to fight in September (and how that fight plays out).

If Canelo beats Khan in style and, in September, fights Mayweather(name) or Cotto(name) in a rematch, Pacquiao (name power), Liam Smith (come-forward boxer-puncher who gives/takes; great fight), or Gabriel Rosado (gritty Phillyrican who, though he comes to fight, will likely color the ring with his blood), the Mexican fans will keep with him.

If he fights a guy like Lemieux (folded up for the third time) or Michael Soro (good, slick fighter, but with no name ID; haven't seen enough of him to know if he'd try to push the fight either), some folks may walk away.

If Golovkin refuses to give any concession to try and make the Canelo fight, instead being stuck fight another can like JS Heiland, how much longer will his fanbase stick with him?

Comment

• You boxing nerds need to calm down. They WILL fight. Canelo's side of the argument is that GGG doesn't deserve the opportunity yet. GGG's side is that Canelo has the belt so he is obligated to fight him. Basically it comes down to if you care about the belt or not. I just want to see them fight so I wish GGG would stop fighting these hopeless bums just to keep his KO streak going. It's getting so pointless at this point it's almost cringeworthy. Dude is turning 35 with a resume of a prospect.

Comment

• Originally posted by fighter1234 View Post
                  You boxing nerds need to calm down. They WILL fight. Canelo's side of the argument is that GGG doesn't deserve the opportunity yet. GGG's side is that Canelo has the belt so he is obligated to fight him. Basically it comes down to if you care about the belt or not. I just want to see them fight so I wish GGG would stop fighting these hopeless bums just to keep his KO streak going. It's getting so pointless at this point it's almost cringeworthy. Dude is turning 35 with a resume of a prospect.
                  But khan, josesito lopez and angulo deserved it? Think about how stupid that statement is.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekrat77 View Post
                    And before people jump in here about Ward. Yes, Golovkin walked away from that opportunity. But getting your shot at the lineal at 160 where you've made your bones is probably more important.
                    But please, make your case. And for the record, the Khan fight is intriguing to me. A long shot for Khan, but I think Canelo is shooting himself in the foot from a star building standpoint by barely making 155 and choosing a very fast, potentially very very high rate offense, boxing savant with him.
                    Your post is a joke. You ask Alvarez fans to makes their argument for their fighter while making excuses for Golovkin in the first two sentences.

I am not a fan of either one. I think both Alvarez and Golovkin are gutless cowards. Both are avoiding the best fighter available to them to fight. Both camps constantly makes excuses and both fan bases act like gullible teenage girls who fall for the 20-something rock star.

They will agree to fight each other when 1) one of them loses a fight. That won't likely happen because Alvarez will always get gift decisions and Golovkin will never lose as long as he is allowed to use customized gloves that give him an unfair advantage over his opponents; or 2) HBO decides to stop subsidizing their mismatches, which won't be anytime in 2016 or 2017.

Comment

• He doesn't want to campaign at 160. He got the belt from Cotto who's a junior middleweight who had the belt and was a big money fight for him. It makes sense for him to hold on to it for a bit and milk it, he earned that. Look at all the Khan fans routing for him, clearly that the MW title is on the line adds intrigue for them. Once he relinquishes I don't think anyone has an issue with him not being ready to move up yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X