Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin-Wade Registers As Most-Watched Cable TV Fight of 2016

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -Steve Kim has proven himself to be an utter shill; not recalling what angle Kim was pushing at the time, utilizing him as a source for anything outside of Top Rank business is useless.

-Reading the Rafael story (he's not as much of a shill as Kim is, but you still take his information knowing that he and Bob Arum sit for dinners), it would seem as if Showtime had interest in airing Bute for two fights, Showtime and Interbox couldn't agree to terms for continuing the relationship, Interbox moved Bute to HBO for a few fights, HBO aired two fights, HBO no longer had interest in Bute at 168, Interbox and Showtime re-enter negotiations for a deal and agreed to a 3-fight deal, Showtime aired three fight, the deal ended and Bute would not return to US TV for just over 2 years.

Admittedly not being in the room, it would seem as if the initial talks between Interbox and Showtime fell off over pricing of the deal, Interbox formed a relationship with HBO, and when that fizzled out, Interbox returned to Showtime, arguably at about the price point that was discussed to begin with.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
      You weren't even watching boxing at the time, figures
      For argument's sake, what was the first fight that you remember watching on TV.

Because the first fight I remember watching was Azumah Nelson vs Jesse James Leijah II (have no doubt that I likely was there watching the first fight, but that memory isn't all that vivid).

you played yourself

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        For argument's sake, what was the first fight that you remember watching on TV.

Because the first fight I remember watching was Azumah Nelson vs Jesse James Leijah II (have no doubt that I likely was there watching the first fight, but that memory isn't all that vivid).

you played yourself
        Even worse, you've been watching fights for a while and still don't have a clue.

Comment

• Originally posted by JrRod View Post
          Jermaine was invited because of his name.
          At the time much better known than Bute.

You also have to remember (if you were a fan back then) that Bute had that crazy 12th round against Andrade, in which many thought Andrade KOd Bute, but the ref f**d up.
          This could have been a reason added to why they decided to go with the other guys for the S6.

My point is Bute was not invited. This is a fact! Even if it doesn't make sense to you, it doesn't change the fact he wasn't invited.
          Jermain Taylor did get KTFO by Kelly Pavlik, before losing the rematch as well; I don't remember the Bute fight being as controversal as you seem to remember it, but including Bute in the tournament would've re-established the WBC/WBA/IBF 168 full lineage.

The tournament was not sold off of the name of Jermain Taylor; the perception was that the three Euro 12 stone fighters, led by Mikkel Kessler, would come into the tournament and rout the Americans, settling the finals out between themselves (Taylor getting KO'd in his two tournament fights by the Euro fighters proving the point).

Bute, hindsight being 20/20, would've seemingly been a far more useful option for the tournament than Taylor was.

Note: Just went and re-watched the ending and my initial sense was right; Bute was obviously out on his feet, but he stumbled across the ring and got hit with that last shot with 8 seconds on the SHO clock, using the corner pad and ropes to get back to his feet (discounting the ref's ****-up) before a manual count of 8. With the fight being in Monteal, the clock basically done, and Bute on his feet, the ref wasn't going to take the fight from the hometown guy.

No different than the ending of the Creed movie, tbf; Conlan runs out an early lead, Adonis Creed makes a feverish close late, the two fighter are scrapping, Conlan makes a slip-up just as the 10-second warning was noted, only for Conlan to make it to his feet for the ref check barely at 8.

Comment

Even worse, you've been watching fights for a while and still don't have a clue.
            He did not tell you he saw it on ESPN Classics.

Comment

• Originally posted by LeonSpinxMwfpce View Post
              He did not tell you he saw it on ESPN Classics.
              It's funny cause it's probably true

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                I was wrong. I thought with the free view weekend and the strong lead in it would do 1.5 mil or better. But 1.3 mil plus is a very strong number for such a lopsided fight.
                I don't know why you have to stick a downer on every GGG thread but I thought that even kids are aware that these figures only inculde HBO subscribers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                  It's still 100k more than Ward ever did right? oh cool you know the whole seating chart and layout of the prices lol...what was wards? What he sell ? 8,000 tickets?

Ward is a B side to GGG...that's all there is to it...is he the better fighter? No...
                  Ward is making his PPV debut this fall, in a fight that is actually supposed to be on PPV, and will likely do triple the number that Golovkin did for his inaugural show, not having his company lose their hat on the event like K2 did.

I don't have to know the seating chat; Oracle Arena has a concert capacity of 20k, with a boxing capacity of likely 21k or so, and Goossen/RocNation haven't opened up the upper level for a Ward fight ever. Not gonna waste my time trying to count the seat but, by the simple eyeball test, i'd figure that the upper level holds roughly 8k seats.

Ward last three fights at Oracle have all done over $700k in revenue at the live gate (can't find the ticket line for Ward-Miranda, but the turnout for his debut fight in Oakland showed serious interest; Ward-Kessler din't look too shabby either)

Golovkin has now had 3 headline fights in his adopted homebase of SoCal (vs Rubio, Monroe, and Wade) yet we don't even have rumors as to how those fights did at the live gate in revenue.

Keep celebrating $20 tickets if you want.

Comment

the fact that you openly ignored my question gives me the sense that you likely tuned into your first fight with the ODLH-Mayweather hype up on 24/7.

good to know

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                      Ward is making his PPV debut this fall, in a fight that is actually supposed to be on PPV, and will likely do triple the number that Golovkin did for his inaugural show, not having his company lose their hat on the event like K2 did.

I don't have to know the seating chat; Oracle Arena has a concert capacity of 20k, with a boxing capacity of likely 21k or so, and Goossen/RocNation haven't opened up the upper level for a Ward fight ever. Not gonna waste my time trying to count the seat but, by the simple eyeball test, i'd figure that the upper level holds roughly 8k seats.

Ward last three fights at Oracle have all done over $700k in revenue at the live gate (can't find the ticket line for Ward-Miranda, but the turnout for his debut fight in Oakland showed serious interest; Ward-Kessler din't look too shabby either)

Golovkin has now had 3 headline fights in his adopted homebase of SoCal (vs Rubio, Monroe, and Wade) yet we don't even have rumors as to how those fights did at the live gate in revenue.

Keep celebrating $20 tickets if you want.
                      Right, Ward Kovalev does 300k buys. Is that like Fonfara Cleverly likely scores 900k viewers?

Keep making a fool of yourself if you want.

Comment

Working...
                      X