Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dan Rafael: Mexican fans in LA told me they want GGG to beat Canelo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm assuming Mexican fans are as ardent as British supporters for British fighters. We bring great support for our guys.

Well, apart from Khan. Although against Canelo we're hoping he'll be the boxing God hand of karma.

Comment

1) GGG has perhaps the most fan friendly-style in boxing
      2) GGG has fought 3 times in the past 1.5 years in LA area - Canelo has only fought once or twice in the LA area, the last time almost 5 years ago.
      3) GGG lives and trains in LA and has made a concerted effort to appeal to Mexican fans ("mexican-style", etc., etc.).
      4) GGG's trainer is of Mexican descent.

So not hard at all to see why some Mexicans would root for GGG over Canelo LOL...

Comment

Originally posted by wardnine View Post
        1) GGG has perhaps the most fan friendly-style in boxing
        2) GGG has fought 3 times in the past 1.5 years in LA area - Canelo has only fought once or twice in the LA area, the last time almost 5 years ago.
        3) GGG lives and trains in LA and has made a concerted effort to appeal to Mexican fans ("mexican-style", etc., etc.).
        4) GGG's trainer is of Mexican descent.

So not hard at all to see why some Mexicans would root for GGG over Canelo LOL...
        Good points.

Dan seems to have told himself a story where Mexican boxing fans are reduced to a single subject position determined by geographical boundaries so he's surprised that they're capable of thinking beyond the logic of nationalism.

The thing is for me, even though they're known to get behind their fellow countrymen (not too unlike us Brits) if we were to pick one set of boxing fans whose identity privileges culture over country it would surely be the Mexicans?

After all, as you rightly point out, there's a style of fighting that Mexicans are renowned for championing. The 'Mexican-style' is held in awe throughout the sport, it's synonymous with machismo. With the way he fights, it should be no suprise to find Mexicans giving GGG props.

Comment

Originally posted by WSSD View Post
          plenty of latinos rooted for manny.
          Not when he fought against a Mexican.

Originally posted by WSSD View Post
          what does gangs have anything to do with boxing fans???

u do know that outside of the gang scene in LA, different races of people do get along just fine right?
          Like I said... Cerotes got no love for Mexicans. You must not be from L.A. EME & 18ST put them maricones on check. That's why they got no love for eses or mexicans in general. I stand by what I said... no mexican would root for triple flop when he faces CA$HNELO! Fat Dan is lying. Yet, idiots like you fall for it.

Comment

IDK if the majority of Mexicans feel that way. But when Cotto was babysitting the MW belt I was hoping he got beat. I am a Cotto fan but using a belt for leverage and having these organizations bend the rules for you just makes the sport look bad.

Comment

Three Mexican fans want GGG to beat Canelo, I see. 3 fans is all of Mexico, I see.

Comment

Dan is stupid if he thinks all Mexican boxing fans think alike.

Comment

Working...
                X