Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Broner the weakest multiple division 'champion' ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Broner the weakest multiple division 'champion' ever?

I can't think of a worse fighter to have held titles in multiple weight classes. Can't think of a fighter who acquired the titles in a less impressive fashion either. Two of his titles were vacant, the other two were won against DeMarco and Malignaggi (wasn't even in the top 10 at welterweight).

Hasn't had one notable defence of any title that I can think of, and has lost two of his titles on the scales.

Broner seems like the showcase for all the worst excesses of the sport nowadays - paper titles, cherry-picking, and hype.

Well, Pac fought David Diaz, but never fought Juan Diaz, and straight ditched Lightweight...

Cotto, De La Hoya, Margarito, catchweight title fights. They say Pac never really fought a true 147...

p4p catchweight division pimp doe.

Comment

The Demarco win was decent, and about the only time I have really been impressed with him as a boxer. But other than that it has to be one of the most carefully orchestrated careers in history.

Saying that though, his resume for a 26yo isnt really that bad in terms of competition fought. Guys like Maidana, Porter, Demarco, De Leon are/were solid world level guys when he fought them. Then theres fringe world level fighters like Malignaggi, Rees, Allakhverdiev, Molina and probably a couple others.

But you are right, in comparison to his supposed achievements, his resume and performances have been terrible. A poster boy for how to maneuver in boxings chaotic structure

Comment

duke mckenzie would have to be up there

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
          I can't think of a worse fighter to have held titles in multiple weight classes. Can't think of a fighter who acquired the titles in a less impressive fashion either. Two of his titles were vacant, the other two were won against DeMarco and Malignaggi (wasn't even in the top 10 at welterweight).

Hasn't had one notable defence of any title that I can think of, and has lost two of his titles on the scales.

Broner seems like the showcase for all the worst excesses of the sport nowadays - paper titles, cherry-picking, and hype.
          That's all behind him, though. He's on the way up now. Watch this space.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
            The Demarco win was decent, and about the only time I have really been impressed with him as a boxer. But other than that it has to be one of the most carefully orchestrated careers in history.

Saying that though, his resume for a 26yo isnt really that bad in terms of competition fought. Guys like Maidana, Porter, Demarco, De Leon are/were solid world level guys when he fought them. Then theres fringe world level fighters like Malignaggi, Rees, Allakhverdiev, Molina and probably a couple others.

But you are right, in comparison to his supposed achievements, his resume and performances have been terrible. A poster boy for how to maneuver in boxings chaotic structure
            Well said, I agree

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
              duke mckenzie would have to be up there
              Theres probably a few from the time when WBO was only really a UK/Euro thing

Comment

He's only 26, but I can see why people are less than impressed with achievements when you really look at them.

If he is really serious about this move to 147, then this will be his chance to really cement himself. He needs to take them all out, starting with fighting Porter regardless if he beats Thurman or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post

and he lost 3 of those 4 fights......

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                    and he lost 3 of those 4 fights......
                    I did qualify that by saying 'competition fought'... tbf....

Comment

Working...
                    X