Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[R-RATED] Lightning Speed! "Too Fast" Fury working the mitts for rematch!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    "You think Joe Frazier is some sort of boxing god, don't critique modern day fighters please".

No I don't! I think Joe was an extremely limited fighter who simply gave more heart to the ring than other more talented men did. That lead him to success.

Fury moves very well for an over sized fighter but he's not fast, doesn't move lateral with ease and doesn't bring power in relations to his size.
    He out maneuvered Wlad but thats not a big deal because Wlad is one of the most one dimensional heavy champs ever.

"don't critique modern day fighters please". Why? Does it make you want to cry?

Ray

I agree about Joe Frazier, and about modern day fighter bias, but Fury is insanely fast, much faster than any current HW in the division and historically would be near the top.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post

I agree about Joe Frazier, and about modern day fighter bias, but Fury is insanely fast, much faster than any current HW in the division and historically would be near the top.
      Meh, come on man, that's a bit silly. Fury's very fast and fluid for such a giant man, but he still shows oafish tendencies. Cunningham was outspeeding him in their fight, and he's not especially fast. In the current division, Parker, Wilder and Joshua have faster hands. Even Wlad has faster single shots. What Fury has going for him is great timing, distancing, general fluidity on the backfoot and the front, speed in combination and stamina that allows him to beat fighters to the punch going down the stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Beyonce Bomber View Post
        Meh, come on man, that's a bit silly. Fury's very fast and fluid for such a giant man, but he still shows oafish tendencies. Cunningham was outspeeding him in their fight, and he's not especially fast. In the current division, Parker, Wilder and Joshua have faster hands. Even Wlad has faster single shots. What Fury has going for him is great timing, distancing, general fluidity on the backfoot and the front, speed in combination and stamina that allows him to beat fighters to the punch going down the stretch.
        You can't say a guy has oafish tendencies, then point to a fight when they were still developing and not the same fighter they are today.

And Parker, Wilder, and AJ are not faster than Fury when he really lets his hands go. That's just not true.

Wilder having fast hands and Wilder being athetic for a boxer are two myths of Wilder's that are getting tired. I love Wilder, but the man is off balance alot, and has the ring IQ of a rock. He's exciting though, and has game changing power, and loves to fight, and has a big mouth, and I love him for all of that, but I can't sit here and lie about who he is as a fighter.

Fury also has plenty of power, and people have the nerve to call him feather fisted. He puts people down, but the scapegoat story is "he big doe".

Comment

You can't say a guy has oafish tendencies, then point to a fight when they were still developing and not the same fighter they are today.

I didn't say Fury was an oaf, I said he still had oafish tendencies, which I think is a fair comment. Even in the Wlad fight, his most polished performance, he was still doing awkward things like lunging with his rear hand then stepping square on before a stance switch, or throwing a wild counter hook from way out of range. He gets away with it because, by and large, his opponents are too befuddled by his style to capitalise on it, but there'll always be that window of opportunity where guys can put him on his ass again.

And Parker, Wilder, and AJ are not faster than Fury when he really lets his hands go. That's just not true.
          I certainly think all three are significantly more explosive, and that can translate into speed for single shots and one twos. Fury's speed only really makes itself known in combinations, since he tends not to put too much into his shots and almost pitty pats to be able to stay on the move. It's a different kind of speed to say Wilder, who puts everything he has into every shot, which means he has to reset every time he throws a power shot.

Parker and AJ are pretty quick in combination, though it remains to be seen how well AJ's speed maintains itself down the stretch.

Wilder having fast hands and Wilder being athetic for a boxer are two myths of Wilder's that are getting tired. I love Wilder, but the man is off balance alot, and has the ring IQ of a rock. He's exciting though, and has game changing power, and loves to fight, and has a big mouth, and I love him for all of that, but I can't sit here and lie about who he is as a fighter.

Fury also has plenty of power, and people have the nerve to call him feather fisted. He puts people down, but the scapegoat story is "he big doe".

I'm pretty even handed when it comes to rating fighters, so don't think I'm trying to big one guy up at the expense of another. Everything you say about Wilder is true, except for your assertion that he doesn't have fast hands. He does. He simply can't translate that speed into anything that requires more than one or two shots because the power throws him off balance and he has to halt the momentum of the first shot before throwing another. That makes him very easy to counter if you avoid that initial shot, but very dangerous at other times, since he can catch you cold with a fight ending shot that you don't see coming.

Fury carries deceptive power, and talking to former opponents and sparring partners he seems to be the type of guy whose every shot has a thudding concussive effect. Not liable to brutally drop you to the canvas but constantly demoralising you to the point you want to quit because your whole face is being rearranged. He also carries plenty of power when he puts his weight into a shot. The one two he dropped Abell with was a case in point. Hopefully he lets his hands go a bit more against old man Wlad and nails his geriatric ass to the canvas this time.

Comment

I didn't say Fury was an oaf, I said he still had oafish tendencies, which I think is a fair comment. Even in the Wlad fight, his most polished performance, he was still doing awkward things like lunging with his rear hand then stepping square on before a stance switch, or throwing a wild counter hook from way out of range. He gets away with it because, by and large, his opponents are too befuddled by his style to capitalise on it, but there'll always be that window of opportunity where guys can put him on his ass again.

I certainly think all three are significantly more explosive, and that can translate into speed for single shots and one twos. Fury's speed only really makes itself known in combinations, since he tends not to put too much into his shots and almost pitty pats to be able to stay on the move. It's a different kind of speed to say Wilder, who puts everything he has into every shot, which means he has to reset every time he throws a power shot.

Parker and AJ are pretty quick in combination, though it remains to be seen how well AJ's speed maintains itself down the stretch.

I'm pretty even handed when it comes to rating fighters, so don't think I'm trying to big one guy up at the expense of another. Everything you say about Wilder is true, except for your assertion that he doesn't have fast hands. He does. He simply can't translate that speed into anything that requires more than one or two shots because the power throws him off balance and he has to halt the momentum of the first shot before throwing another. That makes him very easy to counter if you avoid that initial shot, but very dangerous at other times, since he can catch you cold with a fight ending shot that you don't see coming.

Fury carries deceptive power, and talking to former opponents and sparring partners he seems to be the type of guy whose every shot has a thudding concussive effect. Not liable to brutally drop you to the canvas but constantly demoralising you to the point you want to quit because your whole face is being rearranged. He also carries plenty of power when he puts his weight into a shot. The one two he dropped Abell with was a case in point. Hopefully he lets his hands go a bit more against old man Wlad and nails his geriatric ass to the canvas this time.
            Alot of good points here. I see what you are saying about Wilder, and that's another flaw of his, the inability to translate that into combinations and break the mold out of short spurts of violent intent, similar to a jaguar or lion, who need that short burst of speed and violence to be effective,

Both are dangerous in their own right, but I will always favor the fighter who is more versatile, has displayed a higher ring IQ, and is the better boxer.

Fury does have some awkward movements, and he is not flawless, he is often off balance as well, but not nearly as much as Wilder, and he does so, as you alluded to, at certain stages of movement and while moving in and out of offensive/defensive stages. Obviously any fighter is at risk in those moments, and there is always a certain degree of risk in a fight, even the most fluid and well timed combinations are suceptible to counters by the right fighter throwing the right punches, this is part of the excitement and intrigue of boxing.

For example defensive wizards such as Locche, Mayweather, Sweet Pea, and Hamed were often off balance but got away with it being savvy, slick fighters with high ring IQ. (Fury is this brand of fighter if you ask me)

Other defensive masters are rarely off balance (Benton, Toney) for the record. The beauty of boxing is in the variety within the similarities. but I digress.

It's significantly more risky to surrender your balance throwing single power shots advancing and pivoting (Wilder) than to transition through off balance stages in between angles amidst and between combinations, combinations that change speed, as we can also agree to (Fury).

Fury is also a showboater, which puts you into trouble and you can pay for it dearly, but until that happens, it's just marvelous (Hamed, RJJ). That is also why I love Fury so much, I love a guy who adds the risk of showboating, I love that ****iness in the ring. Come in disciplined and focused on fight night, but give us a show! Some people like to say that showboaters display a low ring IQ, and a lack of focus/seriousness. I disagree entirely, I think if you can get away with showboating and use it as not only a form of entertainment but also as a mental weapon, a way to get into your opponents and his corners head, then you are displaying a very high ring IQ, and courage at the same time.

Comment

He's not greased lightning, but he's not exactly slow either.

Well said. Good post.

Comment

Fury will go down as a top 15 fighter all time when it's all said and done.

Comment

If you don't watch it in slow motion like Spoon23 does with the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight, you can't even see his punches.

Comment

Fury is ready.

Comment

Bumped, because, Fury is back....

Comment

Working...
                      X