Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO only offering $1 Million for Walters-Lomanchenko?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you guys neglect to mention is that the market value for guys like Walters and Loma and a fight with two p4p level fighters is typically a but more than 1mil. They see the other guys across the street making twice that much and then you think they are gonna settle? Not gonna happen. At any rate, it doesn't bode well for HBO or or fans who expect exciting world class match ups. This is called bargain bin hunting, and you can't compete if you aren't willing to spend. So yes it's easy to say that's fair value for two relatively unknown guys, buy what it will mean in the big picture is less exciting match up's on HBO.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      That's called investing. Every business does it. There's nothing nefarious about what Haymon is doing.
      "nefarious" is simply a matter of opinion. There isnt a single sports writer, aanalyst, or economist that I have heard of who can think of a way that Haymon/Waddell can recoup a $400 million dollar investment via advertising revenues.

And before we start with the "oh he went to Harvard" and blah blah blah, its not his money so I doubt he loses any sleep over losses. And as for Waddell, there were plenty of "smart" people at Lehman Bros too, and we all saw how that went.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
        What you guys neglect to mention is that the market value for guys like Walters and Loma and a fight with two p4p level fighters is typically a but more than 1mil. They see the other guys across the street making twice that much and then you think they are gonna settle? Not gonna happen. At any rate, it doesn't bode well for HBO or or fans who expect exciting world class match ups. This is called bargain bin hunting, and you can't compete if you aren't willing to spend. So yes it's easy to say that's fair value for two relatively unknown guys, buy what it will mean in the big picture is less exciting match up's on HBO.
        They also see their own top rank stable mates like Crawford and Bradley make over 1M to fight clowns like rios, Lundy jean

Comment

Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
          They also see their own top rank stable mates like Crawford and Bradley make over 1M to fight clowns like rios, Lundy jean
          Yea, it's funny that now people are complaining about purses. HBO's schedule has been complete **** for a while now. They've been paying their favored fighters pretty high purses for exhibitions. But that seems to be their model now. Focus on 5 or 6 big names and bargain bin hunt until you get the occasional big fight. That's gonna lead to a lot of crappie boxing. And it's not entirely the fighter's faults.

Comment

Has anyone considered that this may be HBO giving Arum the finger for burning bridges. I mean the guy screamed it to the world that he was going to go over Nelson's head on this one.

I like the fight and hope it gets signed.

Comment

I know if I was a fighter and looked at a guy like LSC who gets 750k for fighting sparring partners I wouldn't want to fight for less against a great fighter...
              But......market value is probably no more than 1.5 million....nobody knows these guys and nobody watches either one unless they are the undercard of a better fight on PPV or HBO..

Fk em if they don't want the 500k each....and Walters wanting a million is laughable...

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                I know if I was a fighter and looked at a guy like LSC who gets 750k for fighting sparring partners I wouldn't want to fight for less against a great fighter...
                But......market value is probably no more than 1.5 million....nobody knows these guys and nobody watches either one unless they are the undercard of a better fight on PPV or HBO..

Fk em if they don't want the 500k each....and Walters wanting a million is laughable...
                Not to mention Garcia getting $700K for fighting Salsa. There's no long-term benefits for setting these kinds of purses. Everyone in the business is paying the price for such ridiculous business decisions. It just doesn't add up.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
                  Ridiculous. For what?

500k each way is more than fair.
                  They are boxers who get punched in the head for a living whose "fans" stop caring about them once they fall off the relevancy train. Seems more than fair.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                    "nefarious" is simply a matter of opinion. There isnt a single sports writer, aanalyst, or economist that I have heard of who can think of a way that Haymon/Waddell can recoup a $400 million dollar investment via advertising revenues.

And before we start with the "oh he went to Harvard" and blah blah blah, its not his money so I doubt he loses any sleep over losses. And as for Waddell, there were plenty of "smart" people at Lehman Bros too, and we all saw how that went.....
                    The people that gave him the money to invest think they can get a return on their investment. Firms don't just go around handing people half a billion dollars to play with. They are also the only ones who saw the business plan. Have any of the sports writers, analyst, or economist who speak of seen the business plan? Or are they doing guess work? There is nothing nefarious about what uncle Al is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post

There isn't a single sports writer, analyst or economist that thinks the plan is to recoup the $400 million from advertising revenue.

Clearly the plan is to establish a franchise and recoup the cost of entry from future broadcast rights fees.

I have a lot of respect for the great shows that you promoted, but your anti-Haymon bias causes you to say a lot of ridiculous things. "It's not his money so I doubt he loses any sleep over losses." How do you even say things like that with a straight face? So because his management company has taken on an investor suddenly he doesn't care about the success of his management company? You just sound completely ridiculous when you say things like that. What about the stake he still owns? Doesn't matter to him because he has a partner? You just lose all credibility with some of the anti-Haymon nonsense that you post.

Comment

Working...
                      X