Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oscar De La Hoya "negotiations are complicated because gg thinks hes a superstar"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
    he agreed to the step aside deals because he wants to win the title. Sure, the money and the fame certainly are a big part of it to, I mean who are we kidding?

But I understand the concept of preferring to win the title in the ring, instead of being awarded it in a boardroom. Because otherwise Big Dunn and many others will always discredit him as a paper champ who didnt win the title in the ring, and blah blah blah......
    Canelo recently said in a interview that he's thinking about moving back down to 154. Which seems very likely. And gg will have wasted his time

Comment

• Triple DDDuck aka Lil G aka Mr 79K thinks he's a star? LOL! That chump has been fighting tomato cans all his boxing career! He's about to be 34 and still no significant fight under his belt. Look at Hopkins when he fought Tito at 36 years old, he had fought Roy Jones Jr, Glen Johnson, JD Jackson, Mecardo, Simon Brown, and others that put Duck's resume to shame, and he took the lower end of the deal for Trinidad and signed a contract he didn't want to with Don King.

Take your change and sign chump. You're not a name, not a draw and are only living off your KO's of bums.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        you keep bringing up these little things to carve out wiggle room and act like it makes things so much different. It doesn't.

Almost everyone agrees its not right to have title shots beneath the weight limit. Almost everyone also agrees that concessions have to be made to land the big money fight with the top superstar. SO we are at the point where the "rubber meets the road".

155, while not "right" IMO, is "fair" IMO, given what Team GGG said regarding weight previously. 90/10 is not "right" but given that Canelo is a much bigger draw than GGG and his PPV (whichever # you use 97k/150k) wasn't a huge success, it's understandable why ODH started there.

If GGG takes the fight at 155 and a huge split in money and wins, he will reap the same benefits others before him have when they gave major concessions and won despite those circumstances.

GGG would be earning his respect and stardom, which is how it should be.
        What if golovkin ends up being even better at 155 and absolutely destroys canelo. Will people be ok with GGG demanding everyone else to come down to his weight. The money i can live with just not the weight it opens a window for every champ to do that

Comment

he agreed to the step aside deals because he wants to win the title. Sure, the money and the fame certainly are a big part of it to, I mean who are we kidding?

But I understand the concept of preferring to win the title in the ring, instead of being awarded it in a boardroom. Because otherwise Big Dunn and many others will always discredit him as a paper champ who didnt win the title in the ring, and blah blah blah......
          http://www.fighthype.com/news/article23616.html

Canelo says he wanted Khan at 154 but Khan wanted the title on the line

Comment

• Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
            http://www.fighthype.com/news/article23616.html

Canelo says he wanted Khan at 154 but Khan wanted the title on the line
            And back when they were making the fight, Oscar said Canelo wanted 155, Khan wanted 154, took 3 days to agree. When someone is demanding something so disgraceful, you wouldn't put it past them to lie, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              It's not nitpicking, it's fundamental stuff. Canelo is in the wrong for demanding the most pathetic CW of all time, setting all kinds of bad precedents. He needs to be stripped out of respect for the sport, then he's welcome to challenge the champ at a CW if he gets the confidence somehow
              GGG didn't ask for him to be stripped in Dec did he? Did he ask for Cotto to be stripped before that? No for the last 2 years GGG has been the one agreeing for step asides and not forcing a purse bid to get either guy stripped. So shut the hell up about a belt that GGG clearly doesn't even care about. He wants to fight either Canelo/Cotto and to get that he will need to agree to a catchweight. Floyd won his 154 belt at a catchweight of 152 and defended it for 2 years NOT at 154 but at 147 because that's where he wanted to fight. As long as fighters are accepting step asides and organizations like in the case of Floyd are breaking their own rules and not enforcing a fight at that weight then Floyd or Canelo have no reason to vacate the belt. Blame GGG for caring more about fighting Canelo then the belt because if he didn't Canelo would of been stripped/vacated the belt back in Dec.

Comment

• Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
                It's not up to the network to force the fight. It can push for it and offer to sweeten the pot, but the sanctioning body mandates. It's up to the WBC to order this fight to be made, without the bitch ass catch weight, if Golovkin doesn't want it. If Canelo won't follow the mandate, he goes down as a Mexican "superstar" who got stripped because of his fear to defend his title at the sanctioned weight. The prospect of the shame of that should prompt ODLH and Alvarez to seriously reconsider their position.
                HBO can easily force this fight to happen by telling Canelo fight GGG or we will not approve any other opponent.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                  HBO can easily force this fight to happen by telling Canelo fight GGG or we will not approve any other opponent.
                  Idk waht the terms of canelos contract are or how long but maybe it's almost up? Canelo can go back to Showtime or he can just fight on ppv with out HBO

Comment

WHy are you acting like I am discrediting him? I posted that he didn't win the title in the ring and that is a fact.

The better question is why do GGG fans give him credit as if he won it in the ring?

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      People are just pointing out how it is.

Right or wrong, that's just how it is. Canelo is the A side and the A side is in the driving seat. This ain't new to Boxing.
                      Nope. It's not just that fans are stating 'matter of fact' type responses, they are literally cheerleading and defending all of this "A-Side" boxing mentality, made up weight classes, hypocrisy, etc. We are in an era where so called boxing fans are more interested in purse splits and PPV buys then the actual fights; people literally saying they wouldn't want to see so and so fight eachother unless so and so gets X amount of dollars! I can't think of any other sport where this occurs, it's outright embarrassing.

Yes, of course bigger name fighters in boxing have always called more of the shots, that goes without saying. But it's never been to the point it is now where there are 17 weight classes and literally guys fight in their own made up weight classes between the already ridiculous amount of divisions with the lineal belt demanding all challengers including mandatories must fight inside of these invented weight classes! It's absurd.

The whole "A-side" boxing mentality is at the worst point I've seen in the ~30 years of watching the sport. It's practically destroying the sport from the inside out where almost every decent sized fight boils down to this mentality (I mean we have guys like Leo Santa Cruz asking for $3m+ to fight a good opponent and even Carl Frampton-Quigg being threatened to be called off due to which locker rooms to use because "I'm the A-Side!"). Boxing has always had prima donnas and the sport has seen plenty of big fights fail to materialize due to money, but this was usually more of a rare occurrence where maybe once in a while a Bowe vs Lewis wouldn't get made or whatever, but it's spilled over to these second rate "stars" who barely even have fanbases claiming they are "A-side" against other second rate stars so no good fights are being made at all. We have a handful, maybe 10 fights a year if we're lucky that are legit, actual great fights that the fans actually want. That's it (probably more like 5). Just review fights made in say, 2005 or 2006 for example compared to 2015. Such a sharp decline in just 10 years (obviously go back to around 1995 and it almost seems like an alternate universe how good fights were made on a regular basis).

As for the weight, I'm sure every soul on the planet would prefer the fight at 160 but Golovkin shot himself in the foot when he said he'll fight anyone from 154-168. Clearly he will fight "some" people in those weight brackets not everyone.
                      It's not even relevant at this point since this is a mandatory situation between two middleweight title holders, in a middleweight unification fight (3 middleweight belts, 4 including the Ring) which obviously are entirely different circumstances from a 2-3 years ago when he said he would fight Mayweather at 154 and only Mayweather at 154 if given the chance (i.e Andre Ward said he would fight Floyd at 160, Hopkins said he would fight Floyd at 160, etc etc etc but we would never hold these guys to fight anyone else at 160 or whatever the claims were).
                      Last edited by ИATAS; 03-04-2016, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X