Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The WBC is not playing Caneloweight games.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking news

Comment

All this really means is that GGG can blow the contract weight and the WBC will still sanction the fight. Just like when Canelo blew the weight with Hatton.

Comment

So should GGG fake-agree to a catchweight fight of 155, and then come in at 160 on purpose, forcing Canelo to embarrass himself by pulling out of the fight.

He was acting really machismo after his last fight, as if he was ready to fight right there and then. I'd like to see if he would back out a day before the fight, if GGG came in at 160, violating their own personal catchweight stipulation, which doesn't interfere with the WBC Middleweight Title.

Comment

Nothing new here, catchweights have always been side agreements by two parties.

It boils down to Canelo and if he wants to fight or not. If he "won't give concessions to Triple-G" and demands 155 or no fight, then the fight isn't happening and surely K2 will have him stripped and move on. However if Canelo can at least do 157 or 158 pounds, then I think that's something k2/Golovkin will do.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            I think this is good. While I think Canelo should insist on fighting at whatever weight he chooses (he is the star, he doesn't need Golovkin), he should not hold the belts hostage. Let the MW weight belt go and then call the terms for your Golovkin fight.
            ... You're not catching on, he doesn't want to fight Golovkin.

Comment

@WBCBoxing are you considering a color change from iconic green to red in order to accommodate Canelo's 155lbs "Gingerweight?
              9:40 PM - 2 Mar 2016

World Boxing Council ‏@WBCBoxing 48m48 minutes ago
              @Sokar_DNB we don't think you mean this question or think that it is funny. We think you want an explanation to the catchweight issue,right?

Sokar ‏@Sokar_DNB 45m45 minutes ago
              @WBCBoxing I do understand but like many feel it's one rule for Canelo and one for everyone else (which we don't think is funny either)

World Boxing Council @WBCBoxing
              @Sokar_DNB it is not. we cannot write you a DM because you don't allow it so you can get the whole scenario https://twitter.com/messages/compose...t_id=121243808

Thanks for replying. What I find unfair is private contracts are being allowed to mitigate the established weight class. I understand that Amir wanted the fight at 155 rather than 154 so he has an opportunity to fight for the middleweight title but Canelo has now gone on record saying that GGG will receive the same terms or nothing.
              23m 22 minutes ago
              World Boxing Council
              Ok, here's the deal:

When Canelo faces GGG they can agree to fight at 155 but if the day of the weigh in any of them weighted 160 we would STILL sanction the fight, why? because we sanction MW the way it is and 160 is the limit so for us the guy weighting 160 wouldn't be breaking any rule and is elegible for a MW fight.

Now, they can have a side-contract for the fight establishing the catchweight which all the fans are afraid to and, unfortunately, legally we cannot do a thing. GGG would have to agree or disagree to that contract.

Given that negotiations are sometimes rough and they can break relations between promoters, fighters, the sanctioning bodies and whoever else, we rather not talk on the matter until the promoters negotiate first. Some negotiations have broken down for speculation in the past such as Mayweather VS Pacquiao and we don't want that to happen. That is our posture on the matter as of now.

We hope this clarified the situation for you.
              21m 20 minutes ago
              Sokar
              Thank you.
              19m 19 minutes ago
              World Boxing Council
              our pleasure!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Rodge View Post
                @WBCBoxing are you considering a color change from iconic green to red in order to accommodate Canelo's 155lbs "Gingerweight?
                9:40 PM - 2 Mar 2016

World Boxing Council ‏@WBCBoxing 48m48 minutes ago
                @Sokar_DNB we don't think you mean this question or think that it is funny. We think you want an explanation to the catchweight issue,right?

Sokar ‏@Sokar_DNB 45m45 minutes ago
                @WBCBoxing I do understand but like many feel it's one rule for Canelo and one for everyone else (which we don't think is funny either)

World Boxing Council @WBCBoxing
                @Sokar_DNB it is not. we cannot write you a DM because you don't allow it so you can get the whole scenario https://twitter.com/messages/compose...t_id=121243808

Thanks for replying. What I find unfair is private contracts are being allowed to mitigate the established weight class. I understand that Amir wanted the fight at 155 rather than 154 so he has an opportunity to fight for the middleweight title but Canelo has now gone on record saying that GGG will receive the same terms or nothing.
                23m 22 minutes ago
                World Boxing Council
                Ok, here's the deal:

When Canelo faces GGG they can agree to fight at 155 but if the day of the weigh in any of them weighted 160 we would STILL sanction the fight, why? because we sanction MW the way it is and 160 is the limit so for us the guy weighting 160 wouldn't be breaking any rule and is elegible for a MW fight.

Now, they can have a side-contract for the fight establishing the catchweight which all the fans are afraid to and, unfortunately, legally we cannot do a thing. GGG would have to agree or disagree to that contract.

Given that negotiations are sometimes rough and they can break relations between promoters, fighters, the sanctioning bodies and whoever else, we rather not talk on the matter until the promoters negotiate first. Some negotiations have broken down for speculation in the past such as Mayweather VS Pacquiao and we don't want that to happen. That is our posture on the matter as of now.

We hope this clarified the situation for you.
                21m 20 minutes ago
                Sokar
                Thank you.
                19m 19 minutes ago
                World Boxing Council
                our pleasure!
                are you satisfied with that answer?

Comment

Originally posted by Zangief. View Post
                  ... You're not catching on, he doesn't want to fight Golovkin.
                  You didn't need to quote me to regurgitate that bit of fanboy propaganda.

Comment

Yeah whatever. It's not up to them. The fight will be between 155 and 157 if it happens this year.

Comment

Originally posted by lizard_man View Post
                      Plain and clear from the horses mouth
                      Try a bit of reading comprehension.

The WBC is willing to sanction the fight at 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, or 160lbs; they will not sanction the fight at 154 or 161.

There's nothing in the tweets that even alludes to the WBC forcing the fight to be at 160, lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X