No announcement yet.

what happened to floyds work rate?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    The responses on here are hilarious, making out like Mayweather was some high output fighter throughoout his pre-147 career. That was never, EVER the case. He was however, more active than at 147 or 154 due to two main factores: age and competition.

Mayweather has always shelled up against better opponents but before fighting Oscar, how many truly good opponents did he even face? There was Castillo who most agree beat him and then there was the standout Corrales win (weight issues and criminality aside). When ever Mayweather has faced a truly high level of opponent, his work rate has dropped drastically and against guys with above average offensive skills (Pacquiao, Maidana, Oscar et al) his work rate has been abysmal, not to mention he isn't quick enough to switch from attack and defence in the middle of combination, hence the single shots.

It's why I always rate him so highly as a purely defensive fighter but factoring in all the other categories, he just isn't up there with the best of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
      His output was fairly high against Cotto who is an above average offensive fighter. So that throws your theory of shelling up against above average offensive fighters out the window. Corrales was a top fighter, N'Dou was a pretty good fighter with a 31-1 with 30 KOs record. Floyd has opened up against a lot of top guys. The guys on here are spot on. Age and bad hands are why Floyd's output has decreased. Floyd went from throwing 60 to 70 punches a round to 30 to 40 punches a round. No one here is saying Floyd was ever Paul Williams or Antonio Margarito with his output but he was a much more active fighter in his youth. Age and attrition has gotten to Floyd more than anything. If Floyd had been 29 the Maidana fight would not have been as close as it was. But no he was 37 and clearly slowing down.
      By what standard? By Mayweather standards? Sure I guess, by reality standard? no.

LOL at N'Dou a top fighter smh

Comment

That's typically what happens when you get old. Ever seen any of Hopkins old fights when he was young. All he did was punch. Now all he does is stand there like he's gonna punch. Still Effective though.

Comment

1. Bigger Guys as he moved up to 140 and 147, had to be more careful.

2. Brittle hands, throwing less would mean less damage.

3. Defensive style change, instead of forcing counters, he changed to wait for the counter, slip in counters and shell up again.

4. Stamina might not be as good as a bigger guy, than it was when he was 130.

5. Older, He became older for one, so that automatically slows down your output.

6. richer, not as hungry as before, just willing to do what it takes to win.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
            By what standard? By Mayweather standards? Sure I guess, by reality standard? no.

LOL at N'Dou a top fighter smh
            I think you are seriously misunderstanding what people are saying on here

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
              LOL, I know right? I love how these guys spit b.s. and present it as absolute fact.

Comment

no simoly he economisis his energy to close out solidly hes content to do just enough to get thde w in his column and when you throug combos theres a high risk of counters just ask mosely the older he got the more energy he saved.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
                  LOL, I know right? I love how these guys spit b.s. and present it as absolute fact.
                  Floyd ruined their lives man.

Comment

Floyd was also known as a power puncher from 130-135. Around that time his hands got worse and worse, coupled with moving up in weight and eventually he got back with his father who was more defensive minded verses his uncle (which he had when he started out at pro) who is more offensive minded.

You can watch his first pro fight and the commentators keep mentioning how he has big power and is known as a KO puncher ect ect. Its pretty interesting given what we are used to for the last 12+ years of mayweather and his power these days.

If you watch hopkins you will see the same thing. Go watch his fights with echols or glen johnson, around that time period, he had a higher work rate. Then as he neared 40, from the trinidad fight and on he had a lower work rate to save energy. He was still well conditioned, the pavlik fight he really let his hands go because he felt pavlik was too slow and uncoordinated to pose a threat, i was surprised how good his stamina still was and whish he would have let his hands go more against calzaghe as he could have won.

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                    His workrate was good vs Cotto, like 700 punches.

he just changed his style, he wasn't old vs Hoya or Marquez or Mosley.

Yep. His conditioning was still top notch, he changed his style over the years and only went all out when he had to, when Hatton or cotto presses him then he has the conditioning to step up the output but if guys choose to box with him like canelo or pac then thats what he does because its to his advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                      floyd himself said his hands were fine after finding xycloaine. why are you making excuses for him? who would have imagined the guy using xylocaine would later get caught roiding? what a shocker.

dumbest comment ever. xylocaine does nothing to fix the hands, its just masks the pain

Comment

Working...
                      X