Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long before HBO drops boxing from their network altogether?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

larry, why do you keep using this alt?

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
      What good fights are lined up in boxing period right now? Not just HBO. Plus it's only 1 month into the the year. Out of those fights I liked Kov vs Pascal and Canelo vs Khan. Both are decent stay busy fights if everything goes according to plans and we get Kov vs Ward and Canelo vs GGG later in the year everyone will be talking about what a monster year for boxing. Way too early to criticize their 2016 lineup. I'm sure many said the same thing last year in Feb and HBO ended up with 2 of the top 3 candidates for fight of the year. The fight of the year. Manny vs Floyd mega fight, Cotto vs Canelo and Fury upsetting Klitch. It's the beginning of Feb people.
      I didn't criticize 2016, I asked you a simple question about how if you were satisified with the opponents HBO has found for its fighters.

You haven't answered that question. You told me you like Kov v Pascal 2 and Canelo v Khan as "stay busy fights".

Are you satisfied?

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Agreed. I see no reason for HBO to drop boxing given they get decent ratings with this formula. This was the point I made that he responded to.

As a boxing fan, I just hope they make much better matchups, same expectation I have for PBC/Haymon.
        Respect! People need to stop being network groupies. We boxing fans after all. Who gives a **** who shows the fight, they just need to give us good fights. The only good fight we have on schedule right now is Thurman vs Porter. How can it be? Only 1 good matchup??

Comment

ARe you satisfied with the fights HBO has lined up for its house fighters so far this year?

Kov v Pascal 2
          Manny v Bradley 3
          Crawford v Lundy
          GGG v Wade
          Canelo v Khan
          (1) You forgot Fury-Klitschko II, which I am looking forward to because I think Wlad is going to fight with an aggressive gameplan this time and take risks which could result in him getting KO'd or winning by KO. That should be exciting.

(2) Canelo-Khan is going to be a great fight, I don't care what anybody says. Canelo has improved but he still can't cut off the ring to save his life and I suspect he still has stamina problems with all the weight he cuts to make 154-5. If Khan boxes and moves and puts some rounds in the bank, Canelo is going to tire from having to chase him around and walking into right hands. That fight is a lot closer than some detractors think and it's also two huge names so even if it doesn't live up to my expectations, it's gonna be exciting as an event.

(3) Lundy is a good fighter, badly underrated and often avoided. Except for the final round KO he suffered like 5 years ago in a fight he was winning, you can make the argument that he's never legitimately lost (including a fight with Postol, which took place in the Ukraine)

(4) Manny Bradley 3 may not be what I wanted (I wanted Manny-Crawford) but at the end of the day, it's still the top 2 active Welterweights in the world fighting each other, and they got a decent undercard lined up for that one as well.

(5) Kovalev-Pascal II was **** but it's a placeholder for ...

(6) Kovalev-Ward which should be coming before 2016 is out.

(7) GGG-Wade is **** but that's a placeholder for

(8) GGG-Canelo (if Canelo beats Khan) -- that is the biggest fight to be made in boxing and it will be by far the top PPV fight of 2016, probably eclipsing (considerably) Pac-Bradley III

(9) Figure if Chocolatito has 3 outings this year, one of them will be good (maybe the Estrada rematch, finally?)

So like out of 9 fights that either happened, are scheduled, or are in the pipeline, only 2 of them are/were crap. I don't think they're shaping up for a bad year by any means.

Comment

Who knows but I can almost guarantee that HBO boxing will outlast PBC.

Comment

It's almost as the TS wants HBO to dump boxing. HBO has a long tradition of championship boxing and I can't see a scenario where that changes. People equate boxing with HBO.

Comment

Originally posted by boxinggod101 View Post
                Respect! People need to stop being network groupies. We boxing fans after all. Who gives a **** who shows the fight, they just need to give us good fights. The only good fight we have on schedule right now is Thurman vs Porter. How can it be? Only 1 good matchup??
                I think Frampton/Quigg is a good matchup.

I also do not care who shows the fights. Just put them on and im watching

Comment

Originally posted by djt117 View Post
                  (1) You forgot Fury-Klitschko II, which I am looking forward to because I think Wlad is going to fight with an aggressive gameplan this time and take risks which could result in him getting KO'd or winning by KO. That should be exciting.

(2) Canelo-Khan is going to be a great fight, I don't care what anybody says. Canelo has improved but he still can't cut off the ring to save his life and I suspect he still has stamina problems with all the weight he cuts to make 154-5. If Khan boxes and moves and puts some rounds in the bank, Canelo is going to tire from having to chase him around and walking into right hands. That fight is a lot closer than some detractors think and it's also two huge names so even if it doesn't live up to my expectations, it's gonna be exciting as an event.

(3) Lundy is a good fighter, badly underrated and often avoided. Except for the final round KO he suffered like 5 years ago in a fight he was winning, you can make the argument that he's never legitimately lost (including a fight with Postol, which took place in the Ukraine)

(4) Manny Bradley 3 may not be what I wanted (I wanted Manny-Crawford) but at the end of the day, it's still the top 2 active Welterweights in the world fighting each other, and they got a decent undercard lined up for that one as well.

(5) Kovalev-Pascal II was **** but it's a placeholder for ...

(6) Kovalev-Ward which should be coming before 2016 is out.

(7) GGG-Wade is **** but that's a placeholder for

(8) GGG-Canelo (if Canelo beats Khan) -- that is the biggest fight to be made in boxing and it will be by far the top PPV fight of 2016, probably eclipsing (considerably) Pac-Bradley III

(9) Figure if Chocolatito has 3 outings this year, one of them will be good (maybe the Estrada rematch, finally?)

So like out of 9 fights that either happened, are scheduled, or are in the pipeline, only 2 of them are/were crap. I don't think they're shaping up for a bad year by any means.
                  Klit/Fury 2 is a good fight.

Canelo/Khan at 155 is not a good fight. Both should be fighting someone else. Added to that, Khan is coming off struggling against Algieiri. You are entitled to liek it but Notice how much NSB has collectively shat on the fight.

Most on NSB agree Crawford should be fighting a higher caliber opponent than Lundy in his next fight.

Manny/bradley 3 is not a good fight. we 've seen it twice. no need for a rematch.

The kov and GGG fights are utter sh-t. Just say it. You have no idea if Ward/kov or GGG/canelo is next, especially the way ODH and Duva are talking. Don't use possible fights to justify these. That just reinforces how sh-tty they are.

Chocalito isn't fighting Estrada or ruemerong (spelling may be off) the 2 fights people most want to see.

I never asked what Kind of year we were shaping up to have. That is a deflective answer.

You seem not satisfied but unwilling to criticize, which seems really wierd. if its bad, just say so.

Comment

I didn't criticize 2016, I asked you a simple question about how if you were satisified with the opponents HBO has found for its fighters.

You haven't answered that question. You told me you like Kov v Pascal 2 and Canelo v Khan as "stay busy fights".

Are you satisfied?
                    Yes I'm satisfied i like 2 of the 5 fights you named and pac vs bradley might have a stacked undercard so i will reserve judgment on that ppv. HBO has a track record that's why I brought up 2015 because I'm sure people said the same thing in 2015 as you are saying about 2016 and look how big 2015 things ended for HBO. If you are not satisfied with HBO who instead are you satisfied with look at fights that are official in boxing right now for all networks not just HBO. It's early fights are still developing for 2016.
                    Last edited by bigdunny1; 02-09-2016, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boxinggod101 View Post
                      The sad thing is we do not need fights to marinate. If you put GGG/Canelo on in May with Chocalito/Estrada in the semi main, boxing fans would be buzzing. Do we really need to build GGG/Canelo any more?

I get Manny/bradley as Manny deserves the right to select his last opponent.

Crawford/Postol and Kov/Yuneski Gonzalez would be far more welcome than Lundy amd Pascal 2.

I am going to watch regardless because I like boxing. I just think there are more satisfying fights that could be made.

Comment

Working...
                      X