Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long before HBO drops boxing from their network altogether?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything about Showtime?

Comment

Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
      HBO is the home of boxing. They seem to consistently do good numbers, consistently turn a profit.

Boxing in general seems to me to be a front for laundering some dirty cash though. Consider Bradley vs Rios or Kovalev vs Pascal. How the hell can ratings of about 1.4 million max justify the combined purses? It's insane. The same goes for PBCa except way worse. How can ratings of 2.4 million justify the purses of Garcia and Guerrero combined? There's got to be some dodgy stuff going on. Anyway just my 2 cents.
      Please explain to me how HBO boxing (not PPV, HBO) generates revenues and turns a profit. Exactly where are those revenues coming from? HBO doesn't monetize boxing telecasts.

Comment

Mayweather vs Pacquiao will hold them to boxing for a few years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
          I voted for that because this poll is bullshtt don't take it so serious
          hehe got it

Comment

Originally posted by PKing View Post
            HBO Boxing budget in 2015 = LESS than $30 million.
            Why would HBO cancel boxing when it's boxing viewership was reporedly up 10% in 2015?

HBO viewership increased 10% in 2015 from the year before, banking on champions like middleweight champions Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin, light-heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev, junior-welterweight champion Terence Crawford and flyweight champion Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez
            http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...202-story.html

Comment

I would say within 5 years or so...

Hbo is in boxing because when it first started boxing was huge with ali, leonard, etc..

But since boxing moved to premium channels, it has slowly lost casual fans, is no longer a mainstream sport.

HBO first invested into boxing because it could build an audience in 70s n 80s.. Then PPv became a huge part of their business in late 80s to present..
              But now, boxing has promoted itself so poorly, it literally has killed its ability to make PPv stars.. canelo is the only true PPv caliber draw left in boxing.. Once the PPv money dries up, hbo will bow out of boxing..

It's all about ROI

Comment

I see some positive things if HBO drops boxing from their programming. I'm assuming fighters will all sign up with uncle Haymon.

I would then wonder if Lara, for example, will still call out Golovkin knowing that his bluff can easily be called.

Frankly, I'm sick of these twitter clowns calling out HBO fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                  HBO Boxing saw increase in ratings last year.
                  2014 HBO average = 978,000. 2015 HBO average = 915,000. I'm no math expert, but by my calculations, that's not an increase.

Showtime boxing is down 50% in ratings from just last year.
                  2014 SHO average = 636,000. 2015 SHO average = 576,000. Again, I'm no math expert, but that doesn't seem like down 50%.

despite paying Haymon fighters more then HBO pays for their fights.
                  Networks don't pay fighters; promoters do. Haymon using his fund to pay fighters means Showtime probably has to pay less.

0-for-3 on accuracy, buddy. But why let facts get in the way of a post?

Comment

Subscription tv doesn't work on ratings.

It's about who subscribes for what content.

People who get hbo for boxing aren't going to just keep it because they replace it with a new series and bringing in a new series isn't going bring in many new customers as most will already be subscribed for got etc.

It's like saying maccas should stop selling apple pies and instead sell a different version of the Big Mac.

It's a different market.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyBlanco View Post
                      Please explain to me how HBO boxing (not PPV, HBO) generates revenues and turns a profit. Exactly where are those revenues coming from? HBO doesn't monetize boxing telecasts.
                      From unique subscribers.

If a boxing show gets 1mil views on average then you can make a guess based in marketing etc that maybe 40% of those viewers only have hbo for boxing.

Now assume there's 2 viewers per household then you can say there's 200k subscribers that will not pay for hbo without boxing.

Then you workout what they pay per year and that's your boxing profit.

There's obviously a lot more to it but you can't just dump boxing and replace it with a series about elves and expect not to lose out, even if that new show has huge ratings because all those viewers are already paying for GOT etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X