Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did Roach add to Pascal's game?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roach saw everything Pascal did well in the first fight and told him not to do it.

Basically he neutered him by having him box, as the inferior boxer, instead of brawl where he actually does some damage.

Comment

Kovalev looked the same, Pascal looked worse. I thought the same, he was better with Ramsey. Looked more energetic, landed better punches, made it a more competitive fight. Some people will say Kovalev improved and that's why the fight ended quicker, but I didn't see that, I saw Kovalev be the same exact fighter as he was in the Hopkins and Pascal fight. Pascal clearly regressed, I thought it was pretty obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Kovalev #1 View Post
        I think Pascal could of went on.. Roach stopped him because Pascal was embarrassing him what a way to protect yourself Roach..
        Pascal didn't looked like he wanted to be in there. I actually thought he broke his hand or something, he just wasn't throwing anymore after the 4th round. Roach did the right thing, if you're not gonna throw and just lay on the ropes taking a beating, then you have to take the guy out of there. If the fight would have went on and Pascal had a bad head injury, the one's that would have been looked at would be the corner, the ref and the ringside doctors. But first and foremost the corner/head coach. No coach in the world wants to be the guy being pointed at for a permanent injury to a fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          Kovalev looked the same, Pascal looked worse. I thought the same, he was better with Ramsey. Looked more energetic, landed better punches, made it a more competitive fight. Some people will say Kovalev improved and that's why the fight ended quicker, but I didn't see that, I saw Kovalev be the same exact fighter as he was in the Hopkins and Pascal fight. Pascal clearly regressed, I thought it was pretty obvious.
          Broadly agree, except I would say Kovalev was a little more patient.

So patient in fact, he let Pascal off the ropes a couple of times to prolong the fight

Comment

People in boxing are idiots, otherwise they'd be doing something useful....

A guy with 0 brains is never gonna be a good strategist and technician. Pascal needs to maximize his speed and explosiveness. Look at how he fought Hopkins I and II. In I he had zero strategy, just guns out blazing and the guy scored 2 knockdowns and almost took the fight. In II, he came out looking leaner instead of muscular and explosive....with a gameplan to "fight smarter" and the guy got clowned.

Pascal is dangerous because he has good athletisism, power, speed, coordination. Get him conditioned to throw counter bombs for 12 rounds, get him conditioned to move well for 12 rounds, train him to make his defense more efficient and set up his counters better. Train him to finish someone better once he is hurt. All that "jab more" "set up your offense " bs is a waste of time for a 33 fuc.king year old.
            Last edited by -Hyperion-; 01-31-2016, 02:28 PM.

Comment

What you saw in the first fight was a man giving everything he had, only his everything was not enough. Pascal could never beat Kovalev not even at his best.

So it doesn't matter what Roach offered basically.

Comment

The fur coat?

Comment

It's hard to say whether or not whatever advice/training/change of style Roach gave Pascal was good bad or otherwise because at some point of the fight one (or a combination) of Kovalev's punches did some serious damage and Pascal never recovered.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Pascal had some sort of internal injury because he looked winded before the fight was even at mid point, and because his conditioning looked okay (no heavy breathing), which suggests to me some sort of internal damage.

On a side note, I have never been much of a Roach fan but I have to say I have a lot of respect on how he handled the stoppage. That showed a lot of class and was respectful to both his boxer and the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
                    People in boxing are idiots, otherwise they'd be doing something useful....

A guy with 0 brains is never gonna be a good strategist and technician. Pascal needs to maximize his speed and explosiveness. Look at how he fought Hopkins I and II. In I he had zero strategy, just guns out blazing and the guy scored 2 knockdowns and almost took the fight. In II, he came out looking leaner instead of muscular and explosive....with a gameplan to "fight smarter" and the guy got clowned.

Pascal is dangerous because he has good athletisism, power, speed, coordination. Get him conditioned to throw counter bombs for 12 rounds, get him conditioned to move well for 12 rounds, train him to make his defense more efficient and set up his counters better. Train him to finish someone better once he is hurt. All that "jab more" "set up your offense " bs is a waste of time for a 33 fuc.king year old.
                    Yeah spot on

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
                      What you saw in the first fight was a man giving everything he had, only his everything was not enough. Pascal could never beat Kovalev not even at his best.

So it doesn't matter what Roach offered basically.
                      With that attitude, of one fighter always being inferior to another and nothing can be done about it, then might as well tell all the journeymen in the world to quit, and all the B and C level contenders too. Let's just have all the A fighters fight eachother, all the elites. Because it doesn't matter.

Comment

Working...
                      X