Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Sergio Martinez hall of fame worthy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**** no. Look at his resume. Who did he beat? Paul Williams? Lol dude was a bum. And Paul Williams already beat him once. Kelly pavlik? Lmfao.

Sergio Martinez was an over hyped bum who got his azz handed to him by a non plaster margarito.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
      No... But he is worthy over other fighters who have got in. His wins over Pavlik, Chavez and Williams are great wins against good opposition considering he was the much smaller man in all 3 fights. His reign was very short but considering his short Amatuer career and injuries; Sergio Marteniz made what was given to him, applied it to boxing late and did great things.

Sergio remains one of my favorite of the time he was around. I still believe a healthy Sergio would put a beating on Cotto.
      You're counting a win against pavlik and Chavez good wins? Paul Williams was a decent win but come on. Paul Williams had already gotten out boxed by Carlos Quintana for 12 rounds. Pavlik was a drunk and couldn't stay away from the bar scene and probably came in to the fight hung over.

And don't get me started on Chavez. I don't think he even trained and came in to the fight high as a kite and still almost knocked Martinez out in the 12th?

Name a good fighter that Martinez beat. You can't.

Comment

Originally posted by lizard_man View Post
        You're counting a win against pavlik and Chavez good wins? Paul Williams was a decent win but come on. Paul Williams had already gotten out boxed by Carlos Quintana for 12 rounds. Pavlik was a drunk and couldn't stay away from the bar scene and probably came in to the fight hung over.

And don't get me started on Chavez. I don't think he even trained and came in to the fight high as a kite and still almost knocked Martinez out in the 12th?

Name a good fighter that Martinez beat. You can't.
        The fact you call Paul Williams a bum, tells me all I need to know about you and your boxing IQ. No need to agrue with stupidity.

Williams was a monster, Pavlik was the next big "White" Hope and did posses good skills. Chavez although not a dedicated individual he was a physical beast at middleweight. His defenses are far from great but not as sad as Golovkin but people also saw Sergio get screwed by the governing bodies; which others get away with.

Comment

Without a doubt.
          Definitely one of the top 10-15 greatest MWs of all time.

No one could f with Martinez from 2009 - 2013.

Comment

Who he beat??

Paul Williams - a guy that many said that Mayweather, Pacquiao avoided when he was at 147.

Julio Chavez Jr - before he was exposed as being less talented than we believed, and while he was UNDEFEATED!!!

Kelly Pavlik - a good solid, MW, Lineal MW champ when Martinez beat him.

Comment

No. Great fighter at his peak. Problem is he was a late bloomer and wasn't elite for long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                He won several minor belts at 147......WBC Latino was one of them. It's not a major title I guess but he was still winning whatever "title" fights he could get at that time.
                Those minor belts don't count as world titles and he got those and not world titles because at that time he was considered nothing but a journey man type fighter. No doubt at his peak he was on of the best in the sport. Problem is he didn't reach that level till his late 30's. And when he did age and knee injuries cut it short. I can't vote somebody in hall of fame when he fought 56 fights. And for the first 40-45 of them he was NEVER a top 10 ranked fighter at any of the weights he fought in and no significant wins. He didn't start fighting world class fighters till what 2009? Yet turned pro in 1997. For example in 2005 he was 30 years old, but from 2005-2008 his opponents HAD more losses then wins BY A LOT. He fought a guy with 33 losses, a guy with 24 losses and a guy with 23 losses, and 2 more guys with 10 or more losses during that 3 year stretch which were his early 30's! So you really talking about 2009 and on when he was fighting world class fighters and he only fought about 9-10 fights during that stretch. GREAT stretch no doubt but I can't put nobody in the HOF based on 10 fights when the previous 40 something fights were low level fights against cab drivers and a loss to a young Margarito.

And I hate the argument well Gatti got in so he should be in. By that logic then EVERYBODY should be in. That's stupid, Gatti got in for a reason that had nothing to do with his resume and wins and loses. And there is a strong argument whether that should even of happened. Gatti is the outlier and should never be the standard for what a HOF career looks like.
                Last edited by bigdunny1; 02-01-2016, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Martinez had a good career- not so sure it was great or hall of fame worthy.

His best wins were Paul Williams, Kelly Pavlik and Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. Those just don't convince me enough.

Of course, he has a great shot at getting in, but if I were voting, I'd have to say no.

Comment

Working...
                  X